Author Topic: water jet cutting  (Read 633 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
water jet cutting
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »
All;

Seeing the vast amount of people talking about water-jet cutting, and I have a shop that will do this for me; I was wondering what costs could be considered "normal".

It was explained that there's the rough cut which could lead to non-90 degree edges, and slower cuts that of course costs more.

If I go with the rough cut and depending on material & thickness a 12" 1/2" piece will cost about $12USD.

Is this about right? or would I be better off going with the per-minute route and get the better edges?

I don't see using the edges for anything other than being there.

For info purposes, this will be used for a small VAWT as a starter "test" piece.

Thoughts?

Keep Smiling

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:18:07 PM by (unknown) »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

WindJuggler

Re: water jet cutting
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:57:15 AM »
Hello,

Those rough cuts are probably done by a plasma cutter. With plasma cutters the edges will be worse when the material gets thicker.

Waterjet should normally always have smooth edges.

Greetings,

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:57:15 AM by WindJuggler »
Wim

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »
WindJuggler;

Thanks for the input.

While visiting, I saw no plasma cutter there, I now of one other shop and he certainly uses a plasma cutter, for that I can Oxy/Acet cut for "real" rough cutting.

The edges are smooth, just not perfect 90 degrees pretty.

Keep Smiling;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:42:04 PM by Bruce S »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
Cutting with a waterjet can leave a "V" grooved cut, i.e. a taper.  More material will be removed on the waterjet side of the cut because of "splash" effect.  If you run the cut slower the jet has more time remove more material to make a perpendicular cut... hence the higher price for the cut.

A waterjet can usually be offset from 90 degrees so the finished side has no taper but apparently the shop Bruce contacted doesn't do that.

The cut should still be smooth... nothing like a plasma cut.

Bruce, I'd ask to see a sample of each cut.  But even without seeing a sample, the amount of "V" shouldn't be too bad.

As for price, my experience was years ago when waterjets were still new and very expensive so $12 sounds reasonable to me.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:49:45 PM by zap »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »
I had the laser guy where I work cut my 18 inch discs, it leaves a perfect 90 degree cut with bright shiny edges and no burrs, it cost me eighty bucks for two, you may  

want to check around for a fab shop that has a laser.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:36:24 PM by fabricator »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »
Seems really cheap to me.

They wouldn't answer a question around here for $12, let alone set up to actually DO anything.

One local outfit told me "We don't give quotes".

And I don't write blank checks!

G-

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:38:07 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »
Fab;

Thanks for the idea!! I think I'll give this a try first. Easy to spend $12USD and recover than the $80USD.

I will ask around for them too though.

Keep Smiling

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:09:28 PM by Bruce S »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
G-

The guy seems trust worthy enough. He's interested in "mills and the spare NiCds I have around, so he may be cutting (pun intended) me a better deal than normal.

I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Honestly I thought it sounded high.

I have checks left so there's got to be money left in the account....right?

Keep Smiling

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:13:16 PM by Bruce S »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
I agree, I've worked with both machines and laser is the way to go for mild steel and stainless steel. Its faster and this can mean cheaper depending on how they charge. Plus laser cut steel has a nice 90deg finish. Waterjet is better for materials like aluminium, rubber, ceramics, anything a laser cant cut easily.

Glenn

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:18:38 PM by gizmo »

richhagen

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 07:56:41 PM »
If you knew a dozenaire, you could ask him for a loan in a pinch. . . . .  Rich
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:56:41 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

richhagen

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:21 PM »
It probably wouldn't effect discs, but NTL gave me a few lazer cut discs a year or two back and I did note that the steel had blued where the cut was made.  It is probably hardened on the edge by the heat of the laser.  Might make a difference on any edges that had to be further machined, probably similar to plasma cuts, but a water jet cut part should not be subject to that effect.  Rich
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:01:21 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Blutoy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
1/2 in thick, 18in wide, watercut $213. Water Cut Services, near Kilgore Texas. The price you guys are talking about would just cover the price of the steel.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:55:43 PM by Blutoy »

Capt Slog

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »
I had my discs laser cut too.  I think it cost around £20 for a pair of 210mm, they supplied the metal (6mm) and there were a couple of large central holes too.

I asked around a few places locally and was given quotes of around £100.

The reason I got them cheap is that the man who did them was open to a bit of friendly chat about what I wanted them for.  He realised that I was just an ammateur/hobby bloke wanting a one-off job and he did me a favour by combining my two discs with a another job that he needed doing (I'm pretty certain that they were not done on site, but farmed out to a third party).

Basically, it's worth asking around and letting people know why you want them.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:49:23 AM by Capt Slog »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:13:22 AM »
Hello All;

It seems that this cost is right about where it should be. Once I "see" these, I'll have a better idea of how his work will be.

I'm pretty certain that I'll not have a chance to get out to the sized discs that others are having fun with.

After seeing the posts yesterday I decided to give it a try knowing that if they aren't what I can use or work with, then I can recover from the price.

I did a little more "talking" with him, and found out he charges by the minute, the bigger the piece or thicker or cleaner the edge the more it costs, seems fair. So I think this will be right about where others are at cost-wise.

He's a fellow boiled coffee drinker and remembers to old style water pumper 'mills. So I have his ear. He knows enough about batteries to be interested in using some of the small NiCds to be interested in getting some. Says he's needing to build a hot wire foam cutter, and these are perfect for high amperage use.

We're going to be doing a little horse trading I think :-).

Thanks Again for all the input. Pics to follow.

Keep Smiling;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:13:22 AM by Bruce S »

okwindpower

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
I own a cnc plasma cutting set up.  Like most have said, the laser and the water jet make nicer cuts, but there is nothing shabby about the work that my plasma machine does. I can hold tolerance to .005 and cut nice round holes down to 5/16 with no problem.  The advantage of plasma cutting is the cost of the machine and the speed that it can cut at.  While the water jet is piercing the metal, my plasma cutter has finished the job.  I can cut up to 1 inch thick and rarely have any complaints on the cut quality.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:08:34 PM by okwindpower »