Author Topic: anyone ever use any of these weather stations  (Read 294 times)

defed

anyone ever use any of these weather stations
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:45 PM »
been looking at these, but not sure if they are any good.  anyone ever use any of them?  most are between $99 and $120, so for the small price difference in the models, i don't know what features are worth anything...ie, touchscreen monitor, hooking to tv, pc (use linux so might not be easy to get it to a windows pc).

also, how about the solar power pack?  would be nice to not have to climb/lower a tower to change batteries or run power to it.  can't find much info on it, it must include a battery that it charges or else you get no readings at night!

thanks,

Dave

Moved to Reviews. Removed the quotes and question mark that gives the subject too long error that prevents replies, too.TW
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:25:45 PM by (unknown) »

TheCasualTraveler

'weather stations'?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
Did you forget to include a link or something?

If so, I'll be anxious to see. I was thinking of bringing up this very topic since my Weather Wizard III took a lightning strike. I would really like a nice, accurate, roof mounted  anemometer for under $100. I wouldn't care about all the other weather stuff, just wind speed and direction. I searched the board and found a post from I think 2005 where a Canadian made station was thought to be a good deal, but only if you could buy it in Canada.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:53:09 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

defed

Re: 'weather stations'?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »
uhhh, YES i DID forget the link!!!!

http://www.dasdistribution.com/products/weather_station/#BW-9710TV

i agree, all i really want is a wind speed/direction and display of some sort, but temp and and some other info wouldn't be bad.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:47:55 PM by defed »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
Re: anyone ever use any of these weather stations
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 06:23:08 PM »
I bought one.

The software is rubbish. There is a improved Apple interface written by some guy, no word on a PC version.

I had to put a decent aerial on it to get 20 meters wireless. The factory internal aerial was rubish.

The reciever has to lock onto the transmitters id code, when the transmitter is first powered up. If you turn off the reciever ( bump the plug pack, switch off by mistake ), you need to go out to the transmitter, remove the cover, unplug the batteries for a few seconds, and put it back together so the reciever can lock onto it again. Rubbish.

Tip, run a wire. You can use 4 wire telephone cable between the reciever and transmitter, and that means it no longer needs to lock onto the id code, or needs batteries.

The outside temp sensor is inside the little plastic case, reads high as the sun heats up the plastic. Rubish.

Wind speed only updated every 2 minutes. Rubbish.

It is cheap. Thats good.

Glenn

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 06:23:08 PM by gizmo »

bj

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »
  Dave-- was given a Lacrosse as a present. Wind speed every 15 sec., temp, baro, wind dir.,etc. Has batteries, but havent changed them in 2 years.  Transmission is at least 200 feet.  Temp transmitter IS in a cheap plastic case, and the sun of course heats it up, but I found a spot on a north wall under the eave that works well.    Anemometer cups could  not stand a collision with a flying branch. (92 kph) but parts are available.  For free it is great, but not sure of the price.

Hope this helps

bj
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:12:09 PM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:42:53 AM »
Only advice I can give is that the Wind Davis range, or at least the old ones are very simple to use and easy to get the data off of.  they cost a little more $300 I think but they just work and can be found some times on ebay.

If you want reliable data then you have to spend out and get a proper device.

Regards

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:42:53 AM by Jon Miller »

jaskiainen

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »
Hi guys!

What about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASFHcPo5EAs

I know it can't be that good for a price 45€ but then again all I need

is just the wind speed. Not even direction because I can see my generator.

Would this be reliable enough? It would be interesting to see what my

generator can do with what windspeeds...

Regards jaskiainen

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:42:42 AM by jaskiainen »

kurt

• website
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
people used to have good luck with this system i have not heard anything about them in a wile http://www.aagelectronica.com/ but it is a hardwired system not wireless it uses cat5 cable to connect the instruments to the inside unit then usb to your computer they have a kit that would get you an anemometer setup and windows software for $100 there is also free Linux software available if you go looking.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:14:29 PM by kurt »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
     Jaskiainen, the anemometer, wind direction part of that setup looks nearly identical to my Davis Weather Wizard III. Only differance is the shape of the wind direction tail. If it's made by the same factory no doubt it is dependable. I did a search for "Meteoscan W160 Wind & Rain Weather Station" but didn't find any links to purchase one, at least not in english.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:19:21 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

jaskiainen

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
Hi Andy

Yes, I tried to search it too, but didn't find anything else than

thisone in Finland. The price is not too bad.

And it have the following features:

Rainmeter, windmeter, wind direction, in and out temperature with

memory, barometric airpressure, wind speed in gusts, storm alarm,

radio controlled clock and some other features.

I'm quite sure that it can't be attached to a pc so it's just an

independend unit. I think I might get one in friday.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:12:13 PM by jaskiainen »