Author Topic: Radio Shack cookie  (Read 327 times)

John

Radio Shack cookie
« on: July 17, 2003, 12:13:14 AM »
What gives with the Radio Shack cookie that tried to worm its way into my computer?

When I clicked on the "DIY Anemometer: Hooked to PC to log?" story a Radio Shack cookie tried to sneak into my computer. I refused it, but a computer set to accept all cookies would have accepted it and you wouldn't know it until you check your cookies file.

Admin., does this board program allow cookies to be sneaked in with a post, and if it does can you change it to not allow a sneak cookie attack?

John

« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 12:13:14 AM by (unknown) »

Brian

Re: Radio Shack cookie
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 01:04:54 AM »
It's probably just from the picture upload from radioshack.com in that post. Cookies are nothing to worry about for the most part. There are cookies that track your internet browsing allowing the spammers to send you more unwanted email but it's not a big deal to allow all cookies.

If you're worried about cookies, go to the site below and download Ad-Aware. It's a free program that removes all "malicious" cookies as well as other forms of spyware. You'll be surprised by the amount of files it removes......

Brian

« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 01:04:54 AM by Brian »

Brian

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 01:08:04 AM »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 01:08:04 AM by Brian »

wdyasq

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 02:56:25 AM »
I run two browsers.  I use IE for posting here and for sites I use that require a "cookie".

I also picked up a program called "cookie patrol" the makes a noise when a cookie is "set".  I quit going to those sites in IE unless there is soemthing I think I need to know there.

More and more sites think they NEED to track one's moves.  I find more and more sites I just don't need to visit.

Ron

BTW- my dog "K.T. Dog" signs up for all my "preferred customer" cards at a false address - what a bitch.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 02:56:25 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

John

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 03:55:33 AM »
Thanks, I already have have ad-aware and spybot also. Some cookies may be rather harmless but others can be very invasive, so to me it is a big deal. That is why I set my computer to always ask me to accept a cookie. I just don't like anything tracking me and doing who knows what with my computer and I dispise cookies sneaking in and using my own computer to store information about me/my computer to be sent out to who knows where. Spyware can also slow down your screen refresh and processing even if it doesn't do any real damage.

John

« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 03:55:33 AM by John »