Author Topic: water for transporting electricity  (Read 235 times)

newguy

water for transporting electricity
« on: December 09, 2004, 03:07:44 AM »
   so i was thinking today in chemistry class and wondered if instead of those large wires that carry the electricity clearn across the nation from electricity plants instead of those which are fairly inefficient i think what would happen if someone designed a water cable. heres what i got a tube of some sort like a gas hose only it would have to be very durable and reliable and a solution of some sort that was like water to conduct transfer the electricity the solution would have to not freeze i think it would have to be pressurized like the brakes on your car. there would be no loss in the lines right. the ends of the line would have a rod that sticks into the hose of solution the connection between the two would be water tight and the rod of copper or what ever would hook right into existing transformers.

well there is my million dollar idea just some thoughts going through a 17 year olds head maybe you had a good laugh if nothing else later
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 03:07:44 AM by (unknown) »

skravlinge

Re: water for transporting electricity
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 11:56:57 PM »
Its resistans in water, more than in copper. With DC in  salt water it  can be possible to us a single cabel and the water can take the rest. I think they do it on connections  cross the Baltic.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 11:56:57 PM by skravlinge »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: water for transporting electricity
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 07:29:52 AM »
Hydrogen and oxygen will be produced at the point where the electrodes meet the water in the ends of the line. You would never be able to keep the gas out of the line. Explosive too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 07:29:52 AM by wooferhound »