Author Topic: Poly Pipe Solar Thermal Collector  (Read 342 times)

(unknown)

Poly Pipe Solar Thermal Collector
« on: June 09, 2004, 08:55:08 AM »
Yes I know...

Everyone says you can't use plastic pipe for a medium temperatur solar collector. But still... I wanted to open a discussion...

The small copper tube/plate collector I built for testing was expensive. Over $100 for a 1' x 10' collector with only plastic scrap sheeting for glazing. The copper in these systems is annoyingly expensive. Fittings, solder, paste and then paint... is there another way???

So there I am, back at Home Depot, starring at the 100 foot coils of poly pipe (black plastic pipe often used for underground sprinkler systems). I look like one of those guys on "One flew over the Cookoo's Nest" with a small puddle of drool quietly spreading on the freshly waxed concrete floor... but I digress.

At about $15 for 1" x 100ft or $40 for 1" x 300ft, it entices the imagination. Can one solve the problems associated with poly pipe so that it may be used as a main solar collector for supplimental water heating.

The main grievances seem to be first... overheating, second UV radiation.

If the overheating can be solved, I say big deal on the radiation. So what if it doesn't last ten years. You could replace it every two years and still save a bundle over buying or building copper plate solar panels.

As for efficiency... size over quality. Make 'em big!

Ok... the floor is open.

Let's hear some creativity!

Ross

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 08:55:08 AM by (unknown) »

Ross

Re: Poly Pipe Solar Thermal Collector
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:14:43 AM »
I meant to post this under solar heating... will re-post it there.

Sorry

Ross

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 09:14:43 AM by Ross »