Author Topic: Is God real?  (Read 286 times)

perpetualthinker

Is God real?
« on: July 29, 2004, 06:10:28 AM »
Hey,

I presonaly dont believe in god or and religon. Please post something why you think hes real and why you dont. I think God was made up to teach moral values in children but keep the adults in the world happy. Because they can drink, Gamble, and smoke. Sunday was pick for the day to go to church because one priest like Ra the God of the sun. And so he picked sunday.

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:10:28 AM by (unknown) »

RobD

Re: Is God real?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 06:45:29 AM »
It's a fair question although I don't know how applicable it  is to alternate energy.

Proof of the existence of God is not possible which does not mean that God doesn't exist. Faith is the blind acceptance of the unknown and at the root of faith is fear. Fear being the opposite of love.

Perhaps the question should be, does love exist? To which we would have to answer, yes. Because love, like truth, is always in flux, always changing, definition is also limitation.

Perhaps the question each individual should ask is not whether God exists but whether their life and actions would change if God didn't exist. Because if we say that our actions would change if God didn't exist we are saying that our belief in God is driven by fear and if God, real or otherwise, is represented by love and truth we are saying our actions are not driven by love but by fear in which case, regardless of our belief in God, our actions express non-belief.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:45:29 AM by RobD »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 07:13:03 AM »
I wonder why an omnipresent being would keep up with billions of people and the ones that don't play by the rules will be punished forever after they die.

Nobody would want a job like that, nor would it be possable...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 07:13:03 AM by wooferhound »

perpetualthinker

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:43:45 AM »
Hey,

But isnt love and truth just a number of chemicals the brain produces to stimulate different parts of the brain to make it react in a different way?

Because making a person say the truth can be done by putting drugs in them to make them not have control over what they said. Plus we have the power of choice.

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 10:43:45 AM by perpetualthinker »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 10:58:42 AM »
I think this thread on this forum is:

In case you don't know it the forum is not here for you to find these answers and it just detracts from the intended purpose.

Please control yourself at least a little or at least have the common courtesy to post them in your diary area which is the proper place for off topic stuff.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 10:58:42 AM by TomW »

RobD

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 05:31:55 PM »
Tom,

Good one!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 05:31:55 PM by RobD »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 02:32:41 PM »
Yes... Geez Tom thats funny...

You keep replying to postings like this with comments like that and I may start putting them back on the front page!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 02:32:41 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

finnsawyer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 10:22:17 AM »
I'm gonna wade in here.  Get yourself a King James version of the bible.  Read the Book of Job critically.  It's clear Job was dealing with a superior intellect.  The Book of Job presents God's credentials.  Then go through the bible writing down all the prophecies.  See which ones have been fulfilled.  For instance the city of Tyre was a major power in ancient times and was sited on a rocky island.  It was invincible and had been besieged by Nebuchadnezzar for thirteen years to no avail.  A prophecy was written that it would fall and fisherman would hang their nets there.  Well, as it happened, Alexander the great conquered the city by building a causeway to it.  Subsequently fishermen hung their nets along the new shore.  So prophecy is the "proof" of God's existence if there is any.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 10:22:17 AM by finnsawyer »

LEXX

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 11:41:42 AM »
The idea that a prophesy is proof of anything is a little crazy, if given an unlimited amount of time almost anything that anyone has to say will come true unless it violates the laws of nature.  Staying with the downfall of Tyre they could have said almost any of those citys would fall because almost all of them have, where does it say that, prophesising which one wouldn't fall would have been much more amazing.  I myself don't make prophesies, they would inevitable come true and then people would start following me around, and frankly, people in large groups really smell bad.

LEXX
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:41:42 AM by LEXX »

Electric Ed

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 07:38:15 PM »
Of course, the Gods were real.

Check it out here -http://galacticconnection.com/index.htm

Electric Ed

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 07:38:15 PM by Electric Ed »

finnsawyer

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 09:22:10 AM »
Your first statement is like saying that if you give 100 monkeys 100 word processors they will eventually write Shakespeare.  Just because something could possibly happen doesn't mean it will happen.  Prophecy is interesting when it predicts something that shouldn't happen, but does.  In the case of Tyre it was the fishermen hanging their nets where nets couldn't be hung at the time the prophecy was made.  Without the causeway being built the nets never could have been hung there.  I made the original comment to give Perpetualthinker something to keep him busy for the next five years or so.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 09:22:10 AM by finnsawyer »

elvin1949

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 03:51:21 PM »
God is a scientist

we are an experiment

in a petrie dish

later

elvin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 03:51:21 PM by elvin1949 »

perpetualthinker

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 02:22:55 PM »
Hey,

WHAT THE HELL IS TYRE?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 02:22:55 PM by perpetualthinker »

finnsawyer

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 09:47:19 PM »
Tyre was a city in what is Lebanon today.  It's existence goes back to ancient times.  It was founded as a phoenician city and became a major power.  The phoenicians were a sea trading people and founded many cities among them Carthage.  If Hannibal had been smarter we might be speaking a derivative of the phoenician language.  We did, however, inherit their alphabet.  So in a sense you're writing in phoenician.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 09:47:19 PM by finnsawyer »

Medievalist

You're looking at trees and ignoring the forest!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 02:31:47 PM »
"I believe in the existence of a universe of suns and planets, among which there is one sun belonging to our planetary system; and that other suns being more remote, are called stars; but that they are indeed suns to other planetary systems. I believe that the whole universe is NATURE, and that the word NATURE embraces the whole universe; that GOD and NATURE, so far as we can attach any rational idea to either, are synonymous terms. Hence, I am not an Atheist, but a Pantheist; that is, instead of believing there is no God, I believe that in the abstract, all is God; and that all power that is, is in God, and that there is no power except that which proceeds from God. I believe that there can be no will or intelligence where there is no sense; and no sense where there are no organs of sense; and hence, sense, will and intelligence, is the effect, not the cause of organization. I believe in all that logically results from these premises, whether good, bad or indifferent. Hence, I believe, that God is all in all; and that it is in God we live, move, and have our being; and that the whole duty of man consists in living as long as he can, and in promoting as much happiness as he can while he lives."

--A "philosophical creed" written in 1833 by Abner Kneeland, the last man to be jailed for blasphemy in the USA.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 02:31:47 PM by Medievalist »