Author Topic: Make Your Own Magnetic Fluid  (Read 307 times)

iFred

Make Your Own Magnetic Fluid
« on: January 09, 2005, 07:29:44 AM »

Courtesy of Bryan D. (the one to thank for this!)

Make Your Own Magnetic Fluid!! This idea came from a good friend of mine (Bryan)

I always wanted to see what magnetic fluid was like, I suggested this to a friend of mine and he stated that photocopier toner was magnetic, within like five min's I was holding a half jar full of the stuff. This is something interesting!!!

Mix some oil (thinner oil seems to be better) and standard photocopier toner, mix some together and play with a magnet in an open jar on the inside of the jar using magnets on the outside of the jar. Unreal effects.

Slowly add oil to a little bit of toner to get the right mix, mix well in a small jar. play with getting just the right mixture, Play with this stuff!!  - Word O Caution... Once toner gets on anything, it's almost impossible to get off. It is highly suggested that once mixed be careful, don't spill or put on fingers or clothes. Do not do direct contact between magnet and fluid if you value your magnet, they will never come apart, keep magnets and fluid separated between an insulator.

Things to try, bring a magnet up to the bottom of the jar and slowly move it up, you will se the fluid moving upwards, then pull the magnet away rapidly, the fluid will just release. 2) rotate the magnet slowly on the outside of the jar. 3) allow the magnet to stay a few moments stuck to the side of the jar by the fluid, watch. 4) place magnet close to the edge of the top of the fluid and watch it go upwards.

Lets us know of other interesting experiments that you do and post your findings and comments!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 07:29:44 AM by (unknown) »

iFred

Re: Make Your Own Magnetic Fluid
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 07:14:39 AM »

OK, now thats really really weird!, why did this post get moved from the topic of homebrewed electricity to rants & oppinion? ummmmm..... What does making a magnetic fluid have to do with rants and oppinion? it does however have everything to do with the production of electricity however!!!! and that is proveable.

Whats up with this guys?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 07:14:39 AM by iFred »

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 08:51:57 AM »
Fascinating, I'll have to give this a try, thanks for the info.  Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 08:51:57 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:37:13 PM »
i've seen a piece on the discovery channel, ford or g.m. were experimenting with magnetic fluid clutches for autos
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 12:37:13 PM by electrondady1 »

pyrocasto

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 12:12:26 AM »
Awesome! I go through toner at work so I will try this in a week or two.

Thanks for the info.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:12:26 AM by pyrocasto »

Opera House

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »
I was working on a commercial project that might use ferofluids and contacted the company that made them.  They sent me some samples. actual fluid was about $1,000 a liter.  Don't think toner is quite the same.  Back in the mid 70's a friend went to work for Genesis Physics.  They made speakers and they used this on the voice coils of the tweeters.  They hyped it up, but he said the main reason they used it was it self centered the voice coil in assembly and saved them assembly time.  All the car companies use it in their speakers.  Bridging 12 volts limits the amount of power you can get in a car.  These speakers have higher eficiency so you get a louder system with the same power.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 11:16:47 AM by Opera House »