Author Topic: Just a thought for expanding Otherpower  (Read 201 times)

MaxFlow

Just a thought for expanding Otherpower
« on: October 16, 2005, 02:48:47 PM »
Wanted to float something past you, Because there are times when I have just one probably simple question to answer, and it doesn't make it  quality wise to stay on the board, please consider this thought, for any post that doesn't stay on the board, move it to a page that although people can read the title and the post they can only recieve answers by email, of coarse the poster must accept emails from those who might want to answer it, otherpower won't be subject to the clogging up of the server, and it helps those of us with questions important to us, after the poster recieves the answer that they were looking for, they can withdraw the question from this page.

Let me know what you think.

Don

PS, the question I would like to ask is, if one has a 100 gallon water tank, and at the lowest point a jet is the only way out, would the gravity be great enough to get a reasonable stream from it?

Send answers to Seizetheday@totalusa.net

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:48:47 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Tilting at [up] windmills
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:29:09 AM »
Max;

Haha, yeah OK but there is this thing called Usenet that already does that. Its full of loonies, spam and the like. I think you might find many of us like it just fine the way it is here. But as has often been said in the past feel free to follow your ideas. Seems that with the latest energy cost increase we are getting more and more folks purely interested in a quick fix to rising energy costs and no real interest in R.E. beyond saving some cash. I feel that is leading to a dead end as most of us actually doing any of this already know you cannot justify it on a cost basis.

80% of the questions the past week have been addressed in the past month. What makes you think people will even read any responses?

My fix goes the other way. I think we should require at least a week "no posting" period between sign up and being able to post. That would eliminate the "knee jerk" questions and encourage new users at least to do some research on their own to refine and expand on their personal knowledge prior to asking questions that are not exactly state secrets. Frankly some stuff just does not belong on this forum period. Supposed to be a forum about Building stuff not a place to get someone to write your senior thesis for you and ask stupid questions on how to save money on gas. I could go on but I am either preaching to the choir or speaking to a brick wall so I won't.

By the way, it is almost exclusively new users who call for change but I think it is just normal human behavior to seek to improve things. Either way I wish you luck getting what you feel you need.

End of Rant.

And on Topic:

I finally got my short 4 legged 30 foot tower rigged for one man tilt up and down and swapped out the 4 foot prop for a 6 foot prop of Arts blades. No wind of course now. I have definitely come around to understanding that tilt ups are the way to go compared to the built in place method we used on the 60 footer thats still unfinished.

Live and learn.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 09:29:09 AM by TomW »

aogden

Re: Art's Blades
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 01:23:37 PM »
Tom,

I would really appreciate any information on "Arts" blades. They are priced very competitively and I am interested in a set.  My average wind speed is low so I need to optimize at 8-12 MPH, I do get some high gusts though.

What alternator are you using it with?

Thanks,

Adrian
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 01:23:37 PM by aogden »