Author Topic: Search yielding irrelevant results  (Read 352 times)

rotornuts

Search yielding irrelevant results
« on: October 15, 2005, 03:59:31 AM »
I've with some apprehension been witnessing an significant increase in "why don't you do a search" kneejerk and rather arrogant style responses lately.

I finally decided to do a search - Grid Tie - to be exact. If the individual responsible for giving such responses can tell me how " Chock one up to ethanol!" or "Chimney cleaning time" or maybe even " Blade Parasitic Drag On Vertical Axis/Horizontal Axis" has anything to do with Grid Tying a turbine please let me know because these are the kinds of results the search function is returning.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 03:59:31 AM by (unknown) »

Jimmer

Re: Search yielding irrelevant results
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:15:59 PM »
AMEN????
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 10:15:59 PM by Jimmer »

joemac2005

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:43:12 PM »
Blade Parasitic Drag On Vertical Axis/Horizontal Axis....

That is a subject you will be interested in someday.   -Joe

« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 11:43:12 PM by joemac2005 »

elvin1949

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 03:50:37 AM »
Yes BUT what does it have to do with Grid-Tie.

later elvin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 03:50:37 AM by elvin1949 »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 06:44:49 AM »
   I find that if someone ask a question on a certain topic and falls into my area of experience

or I have it in my Diary, in my list of favorites

or in my hotlist...or at least remember the

author....where I can contribute some link

....saying 'Do a search' is wimpy.... and is

not a contribution!

( :>) Norm
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 06:44:49 AM by Norm »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 07:00:51 AM »
Try "grid tie inverters"

On this board there are many meaningfull posts, search the web and well the world is your oister, but yes I do understand your comment.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:00:51 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Eliminate "Search the Board"
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 07:47:57 AM »
I find that the built in search for scoop sucks hard. Maybe DanF can just eliminate the link to the internal search and just leave up the "google search the board" as the only search option.

It is not always that folks don't search but they don't even read a weeks worth of posts. Quite often these things are covered in the very recent past.

Some folks just need to be spoon fed but I, for one, do not feel that is a reasonable use of the forum. I often see the same stuff go through here over and over and over and if you are too inept to find the info you may need to face the fact that you may not be able to utilize the info if you did find it.

T

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:47:57 AM by TomW »

phil b

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 09:02:05 AM »
This topic has been posted and revisited often over several years.

I suggest you do a search for this topic!

I had to say that! :))

What's evident and in plain sight to me, like welding, can get inexperienced welders burned.

I don't mind helping someone that asked a legitimate question, even if I think the answer is obvious.

I think that's how most view this board.

Sometimes I need the answer put in different terms to understand.

IMHO, scoop does suck hard especially if you don't get exerythink just right.

It still answers a lot of questions for me. I'm glad to have it and use it frequently.

Phil

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 09:02:05 AM by phil b »
Phil

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 06:47:47 AM »
Some how I feel that this kind of statement is aimed at some one like me.  Three weeks ago I made a comment to someone who was asking basic questions and which could have been answered by reading some search results.  for this I got my head ripped of and now find my self not writing comments just encase someone feels I am out of order or crossing a line.  I do agree with TomW, some people on hear do have to be spoon fed and maybe the best place for FAQ's is in the FAQ section or maybe on the IRC.  I will however answer someone's basic question if they state that they have searched the board and have had no luck.  But at the same time maybe reading for a week maybe two isn't a bad idea because common questions come up so regularly now and it seems that new members just want a quike awnser.  This is just my thoughts.  At least it seems this board is a democracy and friendly discussion does seem to get problems solved.  I don't really know how to end my rant but I will say that new members should be aware that FAQ are FAQ and as such will probably turn up on the board soon.  

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:47:47 AM by Jon Miller »

rotornuts

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 10:24:51 AM »
Good morning Jon, My comment was actually directed elswhere and in hindsight it shouldn't have been directed at all.

I just think that slapping down a do a search response is rude. I very much agree with everyone that there are far too many people wishing to be spoon fed all they need to know to save a buck on rising energy costs not even knowing thier not likely to save much over the long run.

As much as your concerned to respond incase someone finds your response offensive I'm confident there are those who are afraid to post incase thier question is deemed to be foolish or reduntant.

If someone doesn't like a post then don't respond at all. The editors do thier best work when they delete overly repetetive posts. I'll allways support the editors choice regarding what stays and what goes.

Making a newbie feel like an idiot by being rude is not a good editorial procedure.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 10:24:51 AM by rotornuts »

Devo

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 05:05:35 AM »
You are right on the money Mike.

The Search feature is so bad it shouldn't even be suggested .  If I want to search something here like I did a few days ago (batteries) I go to the forumn (storage) &

read through pages & pages to find the bunch that help in my endevour because when I do a search I get bad results yet post are there with the search terms I use.

I know many of you will say good that's the way it should be , read until you find your answer , The trouble is most of use work alot , have kids , hockey, & all the other stuff that goes on in life. When you finally get time to take a break & research the things on your mind you don't want to read through 6 pages to find a few answers.

Is there a "proper" way to use the search function & I am missing it?

This post is not to ruffle feathers but to ask if I am doing something wrong when I search because it never comes back good?

I would say point people to the faq's before saying do a search because if they were lost before the search you can bet they will be more than lost after.

Have a Great Day Wind Warriors

Devo

« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 05:05:35 AM by Devo »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 02:11:53 PM »
Asking a search engine to trap intelligence out of 'background noise' is a task best approached with humility since the responses can only match the input ie: garbage in garbage out syndrome.

Google allows 'not' statements, use them! To use 'not' add a minus as prefix to filter term; -example. Search as you normally would and see what the outputs are, then strike categories using 'not'... Google will allow seven 'not' filters on its search line.

Anyhow that helps sometimes...

« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 02:11:53 PM by DanG »