Author Topic: Thank You  (Read 209 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Thank You
« on: November 07, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »
To the Admin:

After reading the on going rants about subjects not showing up; I wanted to stop for a brief moment to say THANK YOU.

I have posted only just a few stories and most about home based small-scale production of Carbon based fuels, namely alcohol.

I know that this forum is and was assembled mainly for wind based power systems, and that while I am putting up stories in my diary section fully understand your positions if you feel they shouldn't be there.

I also promise to understand if a story that I put up gets removed for not being geared towards what you are trying to accomplish.

I will also continue to say on any of the stories and answers that I put up that if you feel they aren't true to the direction of this forum please remove them.

Again that you for your efforts and time.

I just thought that with all the complaining going on you might like to say an often unspoken Thanks

Bruce S

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 06:31:13 PM by (unknown) »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

pyrocasto

Re: Thank You
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 03:57:53 PM »
Because of this site, I've learned how to make windmills, and understand the components and electricity dealing with them. Learned how to make gasahol, bring batteries back to life, save electricity, and a million other things. :-)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 03:57:53 PM by pyrocasto »

stop4stuff

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 04:52:14 PM »
Thank You from me too.

I overstepped the mark maybe once or twice and learned from it...

And learn so much more from everyone's stories...

Thank you to everyone who participates here.

paul

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 04:52:14 PM by stop4stuff »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 06:12:25 PM »
Yes and big thank you from me too. For many things!

I have learned alot of things about many things on this forum. While not all of it is directly related to wind or at times even electric, perhaps not really RE either at times, it has been valueable info none the less. For instance Sterling engines. Not directly related to Wind or Electric, but RE none the less. If I get them built and working I'll be using them at the wood burner to move water and air while conserving electric by not using normal fans or pumps. If mine work I would consider them efficeint regargless of true ratings simply because no power is wasted to run them, all the heat stays in the house, thus any work they do at all is free power, and removes an item from the grid. I might move the heat in the house, but I don't lose any.

Another thing that has been a help though not RE persay is various things related to my methods of running the remote house where I cannot put up a wind gennie nor solar. I have kept that house off grid using batteries and inverters. Though my methods of keeping the system charged is far from great, it works for me. In doing such things I am learning more what works and does not work with my off grid setup. Such things are a big help when in the future I go totally off grid with my main home. Things such as charging batteries while driving may not be RE but it has done alot to keep a house off grid. Add to that any RE power I have used here and there in the system. And I see I only have a couple things in nearly a year that has been a problem with off grid living.

Digital clocks don't work for me, one UPS for the computer does not work, and 220V well pump is a problem. Otherwise I find I can live nicley without the grid durring my experiment and have used far less power also than if I would have had the grid turned on there. I could have easily had the grid, but I preffered to do without.

The forum has been a great help in many ways. I first saw Otherpower.com and the mills there back when it was 1 rotor and plywood backing with steel banding for a lamanat and that's what got me interested and how I first found the forum. Long time eh.. :)

Not sure how long I lerked around here before joining. I don't even recall what my user name was on the OLD forum.

Thanks again for the great forum and years of fun too :)

Another thanks for a non-RE subject. I mention I charge bateries while driving as part of my system. I do have a swtich to flip on and off the charging to the batteries in the bed of the truck. I do alot of downhill driving where any extra braking is good, espcially when towing a trailer with a car on it. Thats when I do alot of charging mostly, downhill when the engine is running but the truck needs to reduce speed, up hill I shut them off and it's just a little extra weight to haul, and flat land I decide if I need the extra power or not at the house. Advantage of this is I have power 24/7 anywhere I go, and that has been good several times in the middle of nowhere. I got most of my ideas for my portable power system from the forum. I can now go into the woods with my truck and use an electric chainsaw to cut fallen trees or loggers leftovers for my firewood. Better than burning gas and oil in a chain saw for the same work. Same with alot of other tools like a weed eater.

I think some people from the side of the road would also like to say thanks perhaps.

Middle of the night in bad weather I stopped to help people with a disabled car. The exhaust pipe had broke and then wrapped up around the rear axle. They were trying to figure out how to get it off with no tools and no light. They were about to call a wrecker.

With my portable power system and a drop light with CFL I light up the area like daytime and used my sawzall to cut off the pipe and got them going again. I peaked his interest a bit with my setup and he seems to be interested in windgennies we talked about a bit also :)

Sometimes things that aren't really on topic can do alot of good also perhaps. I was able to save those people a big tow bill (about $100 here) for a gas guzzling wrecker which would have to have drivin at least 40 miles each way. So figure that one good dead saved the world at least 10gals gas that a tow truck did not have to burn and polute the air.

Thanks to the forum I was able to run my saw, otherwise I would have given them a ride to call the wrecker like they had asked to begin with. They were much happier they could drive the car home though that night and to a shop the next day.

I figure my setup is no worse to haul around than a gennerator would be, but alot better and in the long run uses less feul. Also sparks more RE interest than a gas generator would.

I get alot of questions about whats the big batteries for also :)

Helps spread a bit of RE info when they ask :)

So like, thanks for everything, even things people don't normally think about.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 06:12:25 PM by nothing to lose »

erichtopp

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 06:26:06 AM »
This is an excellent site for alternative energy and the general discussion of energy related issues. Thank you for hosting the forum. Many a person will benefit from the information on this forum and make the world a better place to live. Rgds, Erich
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 06:26:06 AM by erichtopp »

Tropical hydro

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 12:30:07 AM »
I agree with all above.....What a great place to spend some time reading other peoples experiences and learning from them. Not to mention the great tech info!

A free exchange of information has got mankind where he is today.....I only hope it can help him to fix the mess he has created!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:30:07 AM by Tropical hydro »