Author Topic: Wind power is out !  (Read 455 times)

Monzadude

Wind power is out !
« on: February 23, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »
 Well I just got some bad news. Our local by-law officer has been cracking down on people around here lately. So I thought I better check before I start putting up wind generators. The answer is what I dreaded it would be. I was told " ABSOLUTLY NOT!! " Well there gos most of my plans out the window. At least I have lots of parts if my microwave breaks.(ha ha ) I'll have to find a use for the motor I already have. Maybe I'll hook it up to the old exercise bike for some pedal power. Looks like I'll have to direct all my energy back to increasing my solar power. That ok too just alot more expensive. Well thanks for all the help and I'll keep reading. I might as well keep learning, I'm not going to live in town forever. Our next house is going to be in the country for sure. Thanks

Bill

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 09:04:28 PM by (unknown) »

picmacmillan

Re: Wind power is out !
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:08:37 PM »
monzadude..where do you live?...i think i would do like i did when i was a kid and NOT LISTEN! now that i think about it, my wife says i don't listen now> >:D i had asked about this very thing a while back and i am interested to here where and why it isn't legal...pickster...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 02:08:37 PM by picmacmillan »

Monzadude

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 02:25:31 PM »
I live in Smithsfalls Ontario. South west of Ottawa. The reasons were not too clear. Mostly I was told there are concerns about the tower failing and cousing damage or injury. Also the posibility of noise was mentioned. Simply put, any generation has to be contained in or secured directly to your residence. On the top of a pole doesn't qualify. Solar is allowed because its quiet and it's mounted securely on the roof. Even solar mounted in the yard on a sun tracker is not allowed for some reason. Roof mount only. I'm not sure why, that's just what they told me when I put my panels up. This is for in town. It's ok out of town. There is a house 15 min from here,outside of town that's off the grid. They have a wind generator an two sun tracker arrays.

Bill

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 02:25:31 PM by Monzadude »

picmacmillan

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 02:38:47 PM »
right off the hop i hope the guy who told you that was full of crap, because i went through smith falls for three months straight going to middleville(not to far from you off hwy 7)(Near carleton place).. The owner of the log building school i went to is totally off grid and has about a 60' tower.

If you need to, i will give you the guys name who has it...i would just put it up anyhow, and let the hydro nazi's come when they want..i would like to know if that is a bylaw, or how he came up with that crap...far as i know, this is a civil matter and the legal term for it is,It restricts YOUR RIGHT to enjoy your property.

Check into it...how come some can have it and you can't?.....pickster
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 02:38:47 PM by picmacmillan »

wphfla

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 02:43:31 PM »
I'm a new member of this forum, but have been a regular visitor for many months.  I too live in an area where a tower and turbine would be forbidden.  My design is for a lawn wind sculpture, not a wind turbine.  Use your imagination.  As an RE artist, I'll bet you too can create a sculpture.

Regards

wphfla (Wind Power Heretic in FLoridA)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 02:43:31 PM by wphfla »

johnlm

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 02:58:32 PM »
Tell the dudes, Look, its either a windmill or Im going to start rendering animal guts into oil (reference the post here in the last couple of days).  If you come across serious enough maybe they will let you have the windmill... or maybe worse.

Im laughing here thinking about you really trying my suggestion.  I do know how frustrating it can be.  Sure am glad I live out in the country so I dont have to put up with that kind of BS.

John

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 02:58:32 PM by johnlm »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »
 monzadude don't give up too easy, what about a vawt. thats the route i'm taking i live in wasaga beach. it's always been a wild place in the summer . people built shabby summer cottages. now there are lots of retired people living here all year long. the town is growing up. bilaw enforcement is serious . i know i can't raise a tower . thats ok. but they can't stop me from building a fence  that just happens to rotate. or yard art  or a wing powered carecell what ever.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:21:54 PM by electrondady1 »

picmacmillan

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 03:42:42 PM »
ya, electrondady has the right idea....call it what you want,and build it...again, i know someone right by you that has one...is it because you're in town?/..i don't get it, and who made this law?..provincial, federal?, or the guy who told you that it's not going to happen?.....pickster
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:42:42 PM by picmacmillan »

picmacmillan

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 03:44:59 PM »
bill is that pat w's place that you're talking about being with the wind genny and the solar?...just wondering if we're talking about the same guy...he spent 50,000 on his system,and i don't think he would take it down for anybody...pickster
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:44:59 PM by picmacmillan »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 03:56:01 PM »
guess ive got more to say. first go down to the town office and get a copy of the town bylaws. check it out thouroghly. the guy who spoke to you might be power triping.as long as they get no complaints from your neigbours were's the rub. there's going to be a fight in every town about this. might as well get started right now. or you can go inside lock the door and watch tv.if a little more electricity is needed, they'll just slide another fuel rod into the neuclear generator.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:56:01 PM by electrondady1 »

drdongle

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 05:22:16 PM »
There may be National or Provencal laws that promotes the use of R.E. and you may be able to use those laws to you advantage, when dealing with the local zoning Nazies. Lady in Fl. was told she could not dry her laundry in the sun but she found a state law that that was passed to promoter "solar" energy which she successfully used to win her case against the city.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 05:22:16 PM by drdongle »

Chiron

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 05:53:17 PM »
Ok, let's have a reality check.

There was a zoning ordinance against a clothesline?

I'm not doubting you, just making sure my eyes are readin that right.

And people wonder why I'm a Libertarian....

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 05:53:17 PM by Chiron »

thumbnail101

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 05:57:26 PM »
will they let you put up a atenna towwer?, if so, just tell them

the wind mill is for decoration...ha..ha My insurance company

told me i could not put my wood stove in my house, couse its not

c.s.a. approved, so I put it out side and piped in the blower

duct throw the wall., I told the inspector when he seen it

it is just for power failer, for the winter mounths, and heard

nothing more about it...thats just like my pool, township said

I have to put a four foot fence around it, and i told him, when

the rest of the town has fences around there pooles i will put

one too....., and that was the end of that conversation..

I think if nobody complains about it, there shouldnt be a problem

thanks

mark

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 05:57:26 PM by thumbnail101 »

pyrocasto

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 07:47:44 PM »
Dannng people are stupid. If you can build a secure safe mill, or tracker, then there should be no reason not to be able to. There are way too many stupid rules/laws out there now days.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 07:47:44 PM by pyrocasto »

Monzadude

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 08:04:11 PM »
Wow this really stirred things up didn't it.I'm going to see about getting a copy of the zoning by-law for myself. In the mean time here's what I was told when I called back. A wind turbine is ok to have and use "in town " as long as it's not mounted on a pole or tower.I was going to use an old antenna tower but it's still a tower and not allowed. If I figured a way to mount it directly to the roof it would be fine. This is for in town only. As soon as you leave the town limits, towers are ok to use. As for the sun trackers , I was wrong. You need to aply for a permit. They will then make sure that your neighbours are ok with it and your not overhanging or shading anyones property. If you meet the requirment then you get the permit.

Pickster    I'm not sure if it's the same house your thinking of but it could be. The house is on HWY 7 just west of Carlton Place. Same one? Like I said If it's not in town then it's ok. If it's with in the town limits then no tower.The guy said he's not sure why this is and is suppost to look into the reasoning for me.

This is all I know for now. If and when I get the actual by-law I'll post it. Don't worry I'm not giving up on all this. I'm still going to try and build a wind generator But I'll have to take it to a friends place to test it and save it for when I buy my next house. Until this gets worked out or I move it looks like it's solar all the way.

Almost forgot. Rendering animal gut? LOL!! Thanks. I needed that!!

Bill

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 08:04:11 PM by Monzadude »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 09:08:22 PM »
I have been laughing for 2 hours since I read your suggestion.

:)       (:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 09:08:22 PM by wooferhound »

elvin1949

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 01:40:42 AM »
Well

Being who i am [REDNECK] 'I' would make everyone mad.

diesel genny no muffler.

charge battery back at night [midnight till 6 am].

someone will change his mind for him.

just me though

later

elvin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 01:40:42 AM by elvin1949 »

elvin1949

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 01:47:34 AM »
yes and getting worse every day

elvin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 01:47:34 AM by elvin1949 »

drdongle

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 05:24:19 AM »
You too? I'm a card carrying , dues paying, true believing member, independent cusses aren't we?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 05:24:19 AM by drdongle »

drdongle

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 05:32:07 AM »
I dare say that this kinda BS is why Chiron and my self are Libertarians, we're tired of one size fits a few government "solutions" that just cause more trouble than there suppose to solve. GOVERNMENT doesn't work, it just get in the way.

Sorry, end of rant.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 05:32:07 AM by drdongle »

Gary D

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 06:16:10 AM »
While traveling thru links online, I came on a site where someone was testing a barrel type roof mount system. I think it was associated with the University of Illonoise(sp)? It was an s rotor type with plastic and quiet (had a quick movie). If you had a strong shed/ garage, one could mount it directly... wish I had saved that link, perhaps someone else has...  Gary D.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 06:16:10 AM by Gary D »

picmacmillan

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 07:22:23 AM »
monzadude, it seems to me the house is off hwy 7 but i could be wrong, its just east of middleville on that road....if i remember, the barracks is on hwy 7 isn't it?.cuz it's not on the same road as the barracks..it's at the log building school guys house...if you went to the store in middleville(only one there)., they can tell you how to get there..(just up the street)..it would be worth it to see his setup alone....there is also a guy who lives in your town named mark...he is a log peeler...thats what he does, maybe you know him,(he likes to have a cold beer sometimes), he also can tell you where he is or go to my website and email me and i will contact you with the info....first thing you did wrong wasn't having the idea to build a wind generator, your first mistake was sharing it with the town heavies....just my point of view, i suppose it is the same as most here....pickster
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 07:22:23 AM by picmacmillan »

Chiron

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 07:26:41 AM »
Yup.

But I didn't mean to get into politics here ;) My stump is covered with ice this morning so I'll stay off it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 07:26:41 AM by Chiron »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 08:59:15 AM »
My experience with this type of thing says...

No1.  You used the wrong terminology.  

It isn't a 'wind gennerator', it is a 'little battery charger'.

It isn't a 'tall tower', it is a 'big post'.

A little battery charger on a big post. That isn't a threat at all, is it?

No2.  You asked them something they don't know anythng about. Nobody ever asked before, I'll bet. They fear whar they don't understand. (It isn't needed anyway, or it would all ready be there!)

No3.  You asked. I now have the philosophy, if I can't do it, they will tell me.

I never had to take anything down, no one showed up to inspect anything, etc. (never put up a windmill either).

None of this means I would put up a tower that could hurt someone or something when it comes down.  Personal opinion, "What goes up..."

G-

« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 08:59:15 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 11:18:59 AM »
monzadude, what about the kyoto accord, and the one ton challenge there promoting. this is your anser to the one ton callenge .  get the federal government behind you. have rick mercer show up at an omb hearing . or take the dark path, build a bunker and arm yourself. i know i'm in for the same fight in the next year or so. the petro chemical industry has ruled our world for the last two hundred years they like things just as they are.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 11:18:59 AM by electrondady1 »

DBGenerator

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »
I'm sure there is more than one town or township with ordinaces againist it for a number of reasons.  They don't want towers falling and injuring people or property.  You can't have it where kids can climb on it.  Maybe your neighbors don't want to see it.  There is a noise factor.  Also, make sure you talk to your electric company about it.  If your generating power and there is a power outage, your power could feed back to the source and electrocute someone.  These are all good reasons for ordinaces, but there should be a way around it.  In the name of science or energy conservation should be your argument.  Find out a little about structural engineering and come up with some docuemented plans.  I would take some time and cover all of those issues and any more you might think of and present it at a township meeting.  There are energy conservation groups that would probably back you up also.  They just don't want to deal with it so they told you NO.  I would continue to push your issue.  The VAWT is a good alternative.  Best of Luck.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 01:42:00 PM by DBGenerator »

nack

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2005, 09:07:55 PM »
How about a VAWT with a long "axle"?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 09:07:55 PM by nack »