Author Topic: Seeking opinions as to ExpressPCB  (Read 344 times)

Tom in NH

Seeking opinions as to ExpressPCB
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:45:50 PM »
I've been using their very nice printed circuit board design program that I downloaded on the web to create a board for my LED lighting project. Has anybody ever dealt with this company? Do they have good product and service? Are there other companies others want to recommend? Thanks in advance for your opinions. --Tom
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 06:45:50 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Seeking opinions as to ExpressPCB
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 01:23:40 PM »
I use a company in Ohio.  They do everything from my knapkin sketch  to the finished boards.  They only becomes cost effective at 100 PCBs.

You don't want a look at my 24 LED PCB? A couple hardware store PVC fittings and you have a 'regular' bulb replacement in LED.

G-
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 01:23:40 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Tom in NH

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 08:39:43 PM »
Ghurd, I remember you mentioned your board back when I was asking about PCBs before. Your board sounds very interesting, but I'm looking for something that will hold more than 24 LEDs. Is your board made by the company you mentioned in Ohio?

-Tom
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 08:39:43 PM by Tom in NH »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 08:21:28 AM »
Yes, but they mostly do the design. Then, another company they are hooked up with does the boards.

There is a charge for square inches, first time tooling charge, first time design charge.

Someone told me to use the large board from the DIY palces, and put multiple parts on each board.

I guess it depends on how many boards a person needs.

G-

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 08:21:28 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jeff7

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 01:42:49 PM »
I used them once - got their standard service. They seem a bit expensive, but then their CAD software is free. I've tried EagleCAD, but I found it to be counterintuitive...and I just plain couldn't get it to make custom parts, or even begin to figure out how. ExpressPCB and SCH aren't the most advanced programs, but they do really get the job done well.

But besides that, I was impressed by the product I received. I made a combination board - about 15 separate circuits on one board, which I separated by perforations (just lots of thru-holes in lines), and then cut with a bandsaw.

The boards were well made - accurately drilled and etched, and solder plated very well. Basically, what it said on their site, they delivered exactly.

If you're interested he main circuits I needed were LED boost convertors, little things based on Linear's LT1618, which I'm using to take low-voltage DC and boost it to 35VDC to run a whole slew of LEDs. The little LT1618 needs a heatsink, or else it fries itself instantly, as it can handle a bit over 5 watts. It's only 0.1225 square centimeters too. Right now, I'm able to run 95 red LEDs off of it. It might be able to do another 19, but the breadboard I've got is out of room.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 01:42:49 PM by Jeff7 »