Author Topic: i wonder if building a subdivision of all alternative energy  (Read 253 times)

picmacmillan

i wonder if building a subdivision of all alternative energy
« on: March 01, 2005, 06:24:53 PM »
What do you guys think of this idea....in the north where i build log houses, the land is pretty cheap.....if you look in the right spot you could buy 160 acres of waterfront land for 30-40 thousand canadian..thats about a half mile or more of waterfront..Now say 20 people chipped in to buy the land, and they were all on the same page about making this off grid.All the property could be split up evenly and everyone take part in building each others house and enough wind mills to produce the power to run the community...

...i thought it would be cool to have all the houses made of logs...they would be beautiful and very, very energy efficient...your taxes would be extremely low, and you  would be self conatined and very efficient....this sounds like a pipe dream,but i am confident it would work...and it would be nice to have every one on the same page, living life to the fullest, and enjoying your family and friends as we were put here to do........sounds like we better get spring soon....i miss the outdoors :) pickster

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 06:24:53 PM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: i wonder if building a subdivision of all alte
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 12:36:33 PM »
It would be nice but you will always run into problems doing stuff like that. If you find a few other people that want to live like that, then you could get started. But then what if someone doesnt want their house out of logs, or decides they want to run AC all summer long and heat the ourdoors? You end up running into problems that way.

You could set limits though so each person got certain amount of energy each day, or week, ect...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 12:36:33 PM by pyrocasto »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 03:12:39 PM »
how is the wind situation there ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 03:12:39 PM by wooferhound »

picmacmillan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 04:25:38 PM »
hi woof....the wind is very good there ...it is located right at the start of the laurention mountain range on the quebec border....water is drinkable right from the lake...and there is "real gold in them thar hills"very near kirkland lake ontario, which at one time was the gold capitol of the world...not too sure if it still is...but they still mine alot there.....would be nice to find a chunk...from that t.v. show where they pan for gold, i can see there is alot of black sand there, which is supposed to be good for finding gold.....i bet there is some there, just not enough to make the big guns want to mine for it...oh, well, enough ranting for the day....i thought somebody said that groundhog was going to bring us some spring(it's snowing to beat the band out)..too cold to put my second coat of paint on my new blades...have a good one ..pickster
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 04:25:38 PM by picmacmillan »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 05:46:27 PM »
Here's a nice place, too.  Looks the same.  No RE.  Either diesel or nothing.  But the cabins are hand made log.  Amazing what 6 guys and a chainsaw can do.

A 50w PV could do wonders for the outpost cabins.  Pump water (gas now), CFLs (propane now), etc.

Look under 'trophy fishing'.  I'm the hairy guy with the pike! (Mom always said I'd be famous for something other than my photo at the post office!)

The link is not working right now.  It should soon.

http://www.caesarslodge.com/

G-

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 05:46:27 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:20:03 PM »
Someone sort-of did that here. Even though it's all grid power/flush toilets, there's a community here called "Heartwood". Kind of a neat idea.. It's a bunch of houses/apartment/condo things all close together, no backyards or frontyards but a community park and a community building for having parties/weddings etc in. When something needs to be done, like build playground equipment or gravel walkways, the community people get together and do it. One of the things I really liked is that you can't park a car within about 100 yds of a lot of these houses. There's little community push-carts laying around everywhere to get the groceries from the car to the house. It makes the whole thing more walking-friendly and forces a guy to wave at his neighbor as he's pushing his cart full of groceries up to the doorstep. Unfortunately, capitalism rules and these custom built strawbale homes are selling for about a quarter million USD. So it's a neat little commune for the rich. Junk collectin', windmill buildin', homebrew wirin', types need not apply. They'd probably have some sort of rule that I couldn't keep 25 vehicles laying around so it's not for me.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 09:20:03 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

finnsawyer

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 08:37:04 AM »
My mindset is to buy 100 acres and be by myself.  It seems to me people just can't get along or be of one mind very long.  That's after 62 years of interacting and observation.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:37:04 AM by finnsawyer »

pyrocasto

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 06:32:04 PM »
That's exactly what I want to do. Be away from everyone, in the middle of no where if at all possable.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 06:32:04 PM by pyrocasto »

finnsawyer

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 09:15:58 AM »
The trouble is, I could get the hundred acres, but I can't get the State of off my back with all their rules and regulations.  Grrr.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 09:15:58 AM by finnsawyer »

Peppyy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 11:58:19 AM »
160 acres, that ought to be enough to keep the kids out of trouble for a while. They could cut all the firewood on the far side of the lot first and carry it back to the homestead. J/K.

I would love to have a spot of my own in the wilderness, big enough that you couldn't see the neighbors house but within the sound of a pop-top on a calm spring afternoon. When I was little it was like that around here. Over a mile to walk to the bus, unless it was winter and you could ride the snowmobile. The phone was for emergencys and if you wanted to talk to sombody you picked up the mike on the old cb radio. One channel on the TV and if you wanted to know national news it was AM radio in the evening.

Grew up on motorcycles and an atc-90, yup, 3 wheeler named Herbie. That little honda did more work than 10 men when it wasn't out playing (Which was most of the time). Used to drag firewood with the snowmobiles in the winter.  I remember splitting wood at night and the big owls would swoop down and scare me. They were only catching the mice that  I chaced out of the wood pile but I didn't know that at the time. It was a great way to grow up. Would love to simplify my kids lives a bit and get them out of the electronics age for a while.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 11:58:19 AM by Peppyy »