Author Topic: How much to pay for transformers?  (Read 259 times)

nothing to lose

How much to pay for transformers?
« on: April 05, 2005, 04:30:24 PM »
I found some fairly large transformers, not sure what they are yet. 120v-240V or the other way. I think one is for 3 phase. I can get these at scrap prices and they look good, no burned spots or bad bruises or cuts, no bad smell. I don't really have any idea right now if they are usable to me or anyone else. Fairly heavy, maybe 10lbs or so, maybe 4" square or larger. Ones even got the box with it I think.

As a general rule is it worth grabbing up such things when I find them just to have them latter or for others if they want them? Currantly my cost is probably 16-20 cents a pound.  I am thinking just for the wire instide them they may be worth getting, but not sure copper to steel ratio.

My thoughts on getting them for myself is possibly using one for a stepup transformer to take inverter 110Vac and convert to 240Vac. Should this work, and not fry my 5k inverter?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 04:30:24 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: How much to pay for transformers?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 11:37:36 AM »
If they're oil cooled make sure they aren't filled with PCB.  Otherwise they should pay YOU - a LOT - to take them away (since you'll have to dispose of them at a toxic waste site eventually, or you'll turn your house into one).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 11:37:36 AM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

nothing to lose

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 12:09:33 PM »
Thanks I will try to remember that, never know what I may run into in the future.

These are just large heavy steel and wire transformers though that I am wondering about at the moment, not oil filled at all.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:09:33 PM by nothing to lose »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 01:54:09 PM »
That is a good way to buy surplus transformers -- by the pound -- may be how you wind up selling them off . . . as scrap. :)

But serious, I have a bit of a pile, too.  I guess you are not sure about their ratings?  Maybe the one with a box?  There are some surplus stores who buy and sell them, too, if you need to unload them.

If you know or if we can figure out some of their ratings, maybe I can help you move them.  Dunno.

Anyway, yeah you should be able to "tranform" an inverter's output.  Just make sure you do not place loads on the system larger than either the transformer's or the inverter's rating(s).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 01:54:09 PM by Phil Timmons »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 07:55:43 PM »
I had other questions to and started another post for those, kinda figuring how much to pay wasn't really for the other questions.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/4/5/17014/07526

I posted the info on them in that post and the other questoions how to use them etc..

Got answer there they are probably 350watt for one and 450-500 for the other.

Also the variac I got is there in that other post.

I had to go to town and went ahead and bought them, but I think I paid far to much, I did not get them for scrap price like I should have, about $8 each instead. Still if I can actually use them for something I am sure they are worth more than that.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 07:55:43 PM by nothing to lose »