Author Topic: Need program?  (Read 370 times)

Jerry

Need program?
« on: January 15, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »
I'm not a computer person. But I would like to post schimatics simular to those other folks have posted here.

Is there a simple program that works with windos word or paint that a computer brain dead dummy (me) can use.

Thanks OPs geek squad.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 05:31:57 PM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Need program?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:49:29 AM »
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 10:49:29 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

DaveW

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:07:29 AM »
Jerry - There are many programs ranging from simple and cheap(free) to extremely complex and very expensive. But the needs for showing a schematic in wind power are not that great, and can be accomplished in Paint with a little effort.  One way would be to make up the symbols needed in advance in little boxes across the top of a work space and saved as a file.  Then when you want to do the drawing, call up that file and drag a copy of the correct symbol in place and add lines.  When finished simply delete the symbols from the top and save the file with a new name. Just remember to convert the file from bmp to jpeg or png before posting. Using a converter that allows resizing and such is a nice touch to post a picture of your circuit that is easily viewed on this site.  I would think that a dozen or two symbols would cover most of the circuits and if a special symbol were needed it could be drawn in place.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:07:29 AM by DaveW »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 11:37:01 AM »
dave , out of curiosity in what catagory would you put the program in my other post?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:37:01 AM by willib »

DaveW

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 12:23:52 PM »
In my opinion, machineshop is a powerful program in sheep's clothing.  It seems to do as advertised, but is geared towards mechanical drawing, not schematics as Jerry requested.  Any program that requires a dongle to be fully functional is usually out of the realm of free or even cheap. Again, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 12:23:52 PM by DaveW »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 01:51:15 PM »
it is a powerful program i agree.

i must have misinterpreted what jerry was asking for.?

what program requires a dongle ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:51:15 PM by willib »

BT Humble

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 02:35:41 PM »
I use CadStd - http://www.cadstd.com/

You can download a free unlimited-use very-slightly-crippled (you lose a few of the more advanced drawing and editing controls, like radial and angular dimensions).

It takes a little while to learn to use, but it would be a small step from it to a more powerful CAD program.  (I haven't felt the need yet, myself).

According to the website, the latest version lets you export to PDF, hmm...

BTH

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 02:35:41 PM by BT Humble »

DaveW

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »
According to the Parker Automation - CTC Getting Started Guide, 2nd chapter, to utilize all four sections of machineshop (MachineLogic and InterAct Software) requires the use of a unique 15 digit security code stored on the security key provided [insert image of dongle here]. The insertion of the security key into the printer port activates the portions of the software that have been purchased.  Mind you, I don't own the product but I have seen it demonstrated, and it did have a dongle.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 02:43:50 PM by DaveW »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 04:59:55 PM »
daveW , i've never seen  that program .

This one is emachineshop.

emachineshop is distributed FREE , in hopes that anyone using it will use the service provided , ie get their parts made by emachineshop..

their home page.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

the download page

http://www.emachineshop.com/download/index.htm

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 04:59:55 PM by willib »

DaveW

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 05:20:38 PM »
Sorry, Willib, my bad.  I have seen the other program and must have translated in my head.  Chalk it up to old age or loss of higher brain function or something.  Meanwhile, while I'm apologizing, sorry to Jerry if it looks like we hi-jacked your question.  Didn't mean to.  But I do stand behind my first statement that paint can be made to work for small schematics without learning a new program, and it translates the finished product to jpeg for inclusion here.  Just wouldn't want to do a big drawing without checking out the program BT mentioned, or something like cad126.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 05:20:38 PM by DaveW »

Jeff7

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 07:00:44 PM »
I use the CAD software at ExpressPCB.com.

Just use the Printscreen key to copy a screenshot it to the clipboard (or actually, I think it has a Save to Bitmap feature. Open Paintbrush, open the image, and save it as PNG. PNG is excellent at saving graphically simple images like this, while maintaining a very small filesize, and none of the quality loss that JPEG brings.

For the record, I've used ExpressPCB's services for circuit board production. I used their standard service once; the quality was quite excellent, and the service quick.

If you really want to squish PNG files, use IrfanView with the plugins. When you save as a PNG, have it use the PNGOut plugin. It runs multiple compression passes to wring all the bits it can out of the file.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 07:00:44 PM by Jeff7 »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 07:24:13 PM »
jerry this is a schematic and analysis program  called switcher cad by linear technologies they manufacture ICs , i've used it for about 8 months.

their home page

http://www.linear.com/index.jsp

Free download page

http://www.linear.com/designtools/softwareRegistration.jsp

its not as easy as emachineshop to use ,but it is a different type of program( electrical Vs mechanical )..

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 07:24:13 PM by willib »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 06:25:34 AM »
I'm in agreement with the others,

who are recommending 'Paint'.

Myself I'm using Debian GNU/linux

and don't know any more so much

about MS windows. I'm using 'xfig',

which runs with all kinds of 'Unix systems'.

'Xfig' exists for ms windows, too, but might

need some hard work to install?  

You might try sometimes 'Knoppix'

linux to enter in the world of free computer programs?

Another possibility is to draw

the circuits and the other

pictures with hand and then scan them.

It is probably the easiest way

to make good drawings.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 06:25:34 AM by hvirtane »

monte350c

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 07:15:30 AM »
Hi Jerry,

If you have Microsoft Word on your machine you can use it to do quite a bit of drawing. I did this with it:

It's definitely not a CAD program, but works pretty well for doing quick drawings. Open Word, click View, Toolbars, and check off the 'Drawing' toolbar. Then have a look under the 'Autoshapes' button. Lots of things to get you started.

If you right click anything you've drawn, you can set its size by typing in the dimension you want. Under 'Layout' you can center things on the page.

To make this into a jpg picture file so that you can post it, get the drawing all set up on the screen the way you like it.

Push the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard.

Open Paint. Choose Edit, then Paste.

Then if you need to trim the results a bit, click on the rectangle select button (the little dotted box) and click and drag a rectangle around the part of the image you want to keep. Then choose Edit, copy. Next choose File, new. Click 'no' unless you want/need to save the full size pic. When the new file opens, click Edit, paste.

Then save the file as a jpg and that's it.

Ted.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 07:15:30 AM by monte350c »

Laylow

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 08:19:48 AM »
Download this program now before it is gone forever.  http://lhw.ufsc.br/pub/CircuitMaker-Student/cmstudnt.exe   or

http://www.web-ee.com/Downloads/Simulator/cmstudnt.exe

It is the student version of CircuitMaker 6 which is no longer available from the company that created it.  Not only can you draw simple circuits with it quickly and easily but then you can test the circuit right there without ever having to physically build it.  There are some limitations to the student version but it's still not bad.

It's been awhile since I've looked at this kind of stuff but maybe there are some new things available.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 08:19:48 AM by Laylow »

cyplesma

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 11:42:44 AM »
one thing to add about the word draw you can show pipes (cylinders) by using a gradient pattern on the box.

excel and power point have the same draw toolbar to do the same thing.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 11:42:44 AM by cyplesma »

BT Humble

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »

Just wouldn't want to do a big drawing without checking out the program BT mentioned, or something like cad126.

I use it to do most of my technical drawing these days.  I've even been using it for designing PCBs, you set the grid to 2.54mm (1/10") and all the holes will line up just like Veroboard. ;-)

(See http://www.homepower.com/files/hp70-40.pdf for the schematic and details of this circuit).

BTH

« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:35:00 PM by BT Humble »

DingBat

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 08:55:11 PM »
For electrical schematics, I think this would work a little better.

http://www.pad2pad.com/

« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:55:11 PM by DingBat »