Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 290 times)

Soapman

Where to start?
« on: October 15, 2006, 11:54:22 PM »
Hi Everyone. I've been reading here for awhile and have learned alot. For that I thank you. Now I need some help. Lets start with what I have already. 1- 15 watt panel, 7 amp charge controler, 2 100 amp hr batteries, 400 watt inverter. I got all of this(except the batteries) at a yard sale for $60. ( It's Canadian tire stuff ) I've been saving money so I can expand and start getting some new stuff. Right now I've only got about $600. I know this won't buy much now but I have no idea what direction to go. I've got lots of roof space for panels. I don't have room to put up a tower for a wind turbine but I have a really tall antenna tower that's up and not being used. Would this work? I'm in south eastern Ontario, Canada. For now I'm just looking for something to power a few small things and to help out with the frequent power outages. I plan to keep expanding as I can. Thanks for any help you can give.

BILL W

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 11:54:22 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 10:08:36 PM »
Bill, that's simple buy solar panels, the 15w panel would be scratching to keep up with internal leakage on 200 a/h of batteries, let alone supply any power.

allan down under

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 10:08:36 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:44:20 AM »
Bill;

I agree with Allan. Since you already have a good set of stuff going at a really good price. Continue on with the solar route.

If the solar charge controller is a good one, it should be able to handle three more of of the 15 watt panels. This will help with keeping the batteries charged up.

Depending on your abilites, you can google for some 12Vdc adapters for CFL bulbs and build them.

The little 400watt inverter is good for small lights and stuff but it does waste some of that power. By changing the FLs over to use 12v directly you'll cut out the power losses inherit with the inverter.

Go to a solar map and find the best possible alignment and angle those panels. A tracking system built will then pay for itself with the added extra charging time.

What are some of the things you'd like to do with the power?

Knowing what you're future plans for the gained power would help with the planning.

My plans did not include having enough power to keep our freezer up for more than 36 hours, but since loosing all our food in it from this past summers 4 day outage , my plans changed and I'm now making full use of the panels I have and working on making sure this doesn't happen agin.

Hope this helps.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:44:20 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Soapman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 09:45:51 AM »
I was thinking of getting a bigger panel than 15 watts. I was looking at an 80 watt for $699. Is that a good price? Will it work with the panel and charge controler I have now? I've really been thinking about a small wind turbine lately. I live near a lake. Not right on the lake but still only a couple minute walk. We've had lots of clouds and lots of wind. But these seem to be more expencive. Does this sound like the right idea?

Bill W

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:45:51 AM by Soapman »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:59:49 AM »
You can almost always mix panels without any problems.

But do yourself a favor and buy a decent controller when you buy a bigger panel.

G-
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:59:49 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 02:45:51 PM »
G-

I too agree with the mixing panels, I'm gathering all the odd ones available and mix/matching as I go, however....

What would you think about the H.F. panels?

The price around and may be available in his area for the prices, would net him 90Watts at around $400.00USD.

Along with that he gets 4 light plugs and 4 CFLS run able on 12Vdc.

I know, the controllers aren't much but they can be purchased one set at a time and added on as Bill goes.

Bill> Do you a have something equivalate to HaborFreight near buy, or available on Web?

Thoughts?

Bruce S

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:45:51 PM by Bruce S »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:56 AM »
I am reluctant to recommend the Harbor Freight panels for anything too serious.

They are nice for getting started I suppose because they will prove the point, they do work, come with the CFLs, are actually available... and they are cheap.

Maybe they could be considered a lot like a TDM windmill.  A nice place to start, but most people will move beyond it.

Bill- Sign up for the HF Email List.  They send coupons.

Good or bad, it will be interesting to see the percentage still working at 3 and 5 years.

G-

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:49:56 AM by ghurd »

Soapman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 11:26:02 AM »
AS far as I can tell, Harbour freight is US only. I'm in Canada and the closest one I could find online is hours away. I don't know of anything like that around here. I'm going to keep looking though. I'm not sure about buying from the US because with exchange rates, duty and taxes, I can't see it being any cheaper. Of coarse I maybe missing something. (it wouldn't be the first time ! ) I'm not too far from Ottawa. So if anyone knows a place that would be great.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 11:26:02 AM by Soapman »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 12:34:33 PM »
Bill;

Canadain tire seems to be your best bet on this then.

I looked at their website and they seem to have a good selection of items.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:34:33 PM by Bruce S »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 02:43:58 PM »
The HF package is a heck of a deal, up there.

Exchange rates seem to favor these, up there, for PVs.  More so with this package.

I (obviously) do not care for them, but I would drive down to Watertown or Syracuse to get them at that price.  If I was down in that area anyway.    Crossing at I81 is more freindly than Ogdensburg.  Gonna need a 'Passport' pretty soon either way.

(start Passport rant)

Canada?   THE Canada?  Like the CANADA Canada?

Do we expect to attack them?  Or them to attack us?  

I thought they were on 'our' side.

I thought they were doing the security thing, like US.

Next thing I know, they will be trying to take our solar insolation!

What a sneaky bunch!  

I never realized they were like that, a plan for stealing our sunshine.

Humor intended.

(I took my meds, both halves, End rant)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:43:58 PM by ghurd »

TAH

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 07:02:03 PM »
Is the $699 Canadian? I will sell you new 40 watt panels for $150 each USD.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 07:02:03 PM by TAH »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 07:01:21 AM »
G-

It's that Canada beer :--0  that has the US all worried. :--)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 07:01:21 AM by Bruce S »

Soapman

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 09:51:09 AM »
A friend of mine told me about Costco. They're more of a bulk purchase store but the have some panels as well. All this focus is on solar panels. Would my antenna tower work for a small wind tubine or is this not recomended? I'm still getting pretty good wind.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:51:09 AM by Soapman »