Author Topic: Crappy Magnet Wire  (Read 515 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Crappy Magnet Wire
« on: April 25, 2006, 04:44:19 AM »
So I'm happily winding my first coil and what emerges from the roll?

What a bummer.

There are actually two of these little joints, when I unwound the rest of the roll!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 04:44:19 AM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Crappy Magnet Wire
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »
SparWeb;

Might be nice to know who you got these from. Hopefully not our hosts.

T

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 10:53:18 PM by TomW »

dinges

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:23:50 AM »
??!!

I have never seen this before. But I only buy my wire from a local transformer/motor winding company. Guess they won't bother with 2nd-rate stuff.

I'd return the roll(s), if possible. Yuck!

Peter.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 09:23:50 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:32:35 PM »
I have seen this before a rewinder company making up small rolls from a bulk buy. I always wondered why the sell it by the pound. Joe
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 06:32:35 PM by WXYZCIENCE »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 12:23:38 PM »
The store took the wire back, and gave me a new one.  Before leaving, I got them to test the new coil with an ohm-meter.  Continuity checked.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Looking up the name of the manufacturer on Google gives me hits from several companies.  So that I don't unintentionally besmirch the name of innocent companies, I won't say who.  I recommend testing coils you didn't wind yourself with an ohm-meter before paying.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:23:38 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Phil Timmons

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 04:25:05 PM »
Never seen it tied together mid-role.  That is new level of bad. :) :)

Something we see in maybe every 10,000 feet of THHN wire has plastic insulation "missing" for an inch or two -- sometimes more -- it can be a real PITA, and could be a real hazard if we do not/did not catch it.

Since we do power electrical type stuff to pay for playing with the Renewable Energy toys, these are often for voltages around 300 volts to ground and if one were to short inside a metal conduit, it could be a life safety hazard.

If a guy was pulling and feeding wire all by himself, it might go right into a pipe un-noticed.  So we make sure a helper is watching and feeding it.  When we bytch at the supply house, they just sort of shrug, apologize, and give us a replacement roll.  Seems some serious quality control could be due.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 04:25:05 PM by Phil Timmons »