Author Topic: To move, or not to move  (Read 441 times)

Sundog

To move, or not to move
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:16:16 PM »
Hi All,

I have a quandry.

My wife and I have been made a generous offer, and we don't know wether to take it or not.  

Right now we live in Florida, smack in the middle of the suburbs.  We hate it.  But, we both have secure, good paying jobs.  Despite that, our mortgage keeps climing as insurance rates keep getting hiked up.  Makes it damn hard to save money.

Her father lives in rural Tennessee, and has offered us,

A house to stay in with rent about 1/5 of our current mortgage. House needs some work, but is livable.(and show me a 70+ year old house that doesn't need work!)

A couple of acres of land (out of his 310 acres) to build a house on if we wish.

Or to help us find some land to build a house on.

My wife is a postal worker, and is guaranteed a job.  I'm a network and systems admin, but have no college education and only 1 certificate.  I do, however, have a solid 8 years in computers.  Currently another IT worker and myself manage a company's IT system that has over 275 network devices spread across 6 floors with a half dozen different servers, over 30 printers, etc, etc.  My coworker and I planned, installed, and manage the entire network.  It's quite a handfull.  But without certifications or a college degree, I'll end up taking a 25%-50% cut in pay.  

So the question is...

do we sell our house, take a cut in income, and move 800 miles so we can save money to make our life-long dream come true?

Or do we stay where we are, unhappy, paying a rediculous mortgage, and barely managing to save, but with good, secure jobs and health insurance?

Thoughts?  Comments?  Questions?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:16:16 PM by (unknown) »

Phil Timmons

Re: To move, or not to move
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:23:23 AM »
Dr. Phil :) :) sez:

You are not seeking advice.  You are seeking permission.

I will grant it to thee.

GO.  Turn off the computer and start packing.  :) :)

Hurricane season is coming.  Get thy behind to high ground. :) :)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 10:23:23 AM by Phil Timmons »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
This Should be a Diary
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 10:49:01 AM »
Subject says it all.

Thats my official opinion, too.

Just to add something topical:

If you are unhappy, get the hell out! Run do not walk. There is a lot more to life than money and things. Unhappy people are unhealthy people. This is your one and only chance to live your life so live your life.

T

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 10:49:01 AM by TomW »

SpirckleM

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:27:20 AM »
Ok, I am biased about this.  I lived in Florida for 30+ years and moved to Washington state.  Surprised to find that there is actually something called the 'outdoors' that is not painful to be in, that there are places to live where you do not need to run AC 9 months out of the year.  That there are things called mountains and hills instead of pancake land.  If I was faced with your choice, I would be out of there before anyone could even say 'goodbye'.

With 8 years in IT, I don't think you should be too worried.  Trade in the security of a good paying job (not really as secure as you might think), for the security of a more self-sufficient life-style -- always a good move in my book.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:27:20 AM by SpirckleM »

Infinity Steel

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
I'm moving out to the country too.

It'll give me the opportinity to realize a lot of old dreams-do as you see fit!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:56:23 AM by Infinity Steel »

asheets

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 01:52:22 PM »
1/5th of the mortgage, in a rural area, your wife gets to keep her GS rating, and (to make this somewhat on-topic) you'll be moving to an area with tons of RE (TVA electricity).  And, if it's really rural, you'll have plenty of space to mess around with generators, solar, etc...  Would you like to trade places?  You can have my HP job, expensive natural gas, and my insane Colorado mortgage.

Now might not be such a bad time to enroll in an accredited university with a large online component and IT offerings.  Lots of people are getting their degrees from Fort Hays State University (part of the Kansas State University System) Virtual College.  I'll have my Masters in Information Networking and Telecommunications done this fall by remote, so it can be done and done cheap (Kansas as a lot of interarticulation agreements with various states, so you might not even have to pay full out-of-state tuition).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:52:22 PM by asheets »

asheets

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »
Forgot to add -- if you're taking a 35% pay cut in moving to TN, you'll still be money ahead when the day is done.  But, if you truly have 8 years in as a network admin and designer of the type of network you claim, I don't think you'll be taking a cut.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:54:45 PM by asheets »

srnoth

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 02:00:29 PM »
I have to agree with everyone here. Life isn't worth living unless you're enjoying (most of) it. You have the opportunity now, pack your bags and leave before the next hurricane season, :-). (You have 12 days from today, lol). And that 'secure' job really isn't so secure. Live your life how YOU want to, not how the world says you should.

Just my 2c,

Cheers,

Stephen.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:00:29 PM by srnoth »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:24:19 PM »
Sorry Sundog, I'm having trouble following this....

If you have a choice between living your life (dream) on the one hand and trying to just survive life for as long as possible with no end in sight on the other,........whats to choose?....

...........oztules

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:24:19 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

commanda

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »
Leave your current employer on good terms.

Get your immediate superior to write a detailed & glowing reference. Write it yourself if need be, detailing exactly what you have accomplished. Highlight the things you instigated, with the favourable outcomes. Get professional help to write your new resume if need be.

And good luck with the move.

Amanda

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 03:24:07 PM by commanda »

drdongle

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 05:20:37 PM »
Dr. D here, I live in Cosby Tn. near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge ( home of Dolly Parton and Dolly Wood).

You may have less in the way of ameneties but you will gain a lot in piece of mind and self sufficiency. You'll make less money but you will need less as well.

I left Fl 20 years ago and NEVER regretted it, So for what it's worth GO FOR IT!!

BTW where in Tn is the property? I would love to have some others close buy to work with on RE projects.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:20:37 PM by drdongle »

Nando

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:41:24 PM »
you are trying to find a "support" to be able to say to your wife, let's go.

I presume that her father is going to be close to her -- great indeed --.

Can she get a transfer to the city or town where you are moving to ?.

Rural life is different indeed and, maybe, both of you main need to adapt.

Cut in salary may not be such if you calculate the money you two are spending to live in the city.

Sit down together and add all your expenses now and what you may see in the next ten years, then what is going to cost to you where you may be -- including medical insurance --.

See what your work is and what you could do in the new place, like installing wi-fi for rural use.

I have a friend doing that, in the mountains, and have developed a good set of long range connections that as well give him income.

If you need analysis and further reasoning, you can contact me directly.

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 10:41:24 PM by Nando »

nothing to lose

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 12:34:36 AM »
Well I agree with everyone else so far also. WHY stay??? That is the real question I think.

If you can live for alot less money you won't need to make as much right!

If you do earn as much and live alot cheaper you are much farther ahead!

Anything close to the middle ground works in your favor still.

Speaking of still, set up and alky feul still with free federal permit and get 60cent per gallon tax credit to offset wifes taxes and feul costs when you get to TN. :)

If you are just surviving now basically but can have a real life and some freedom why not go for it?

And forget the job security, there is no such thing today! 20 maybe 30 years ago yes, not today!!! Look at the real world around you, what happens to others can just as easily happen to you! How many 10-15 year career workers now have no jobs? Internet stuff goes under every day, new stuff pops up. Factories close on a moments notice or lay off 5,000 workers in one shot. That's the job security!

Benifits get cut, insurance changes for the worse.

Sears Catalogs no longer exist as they used too! What happened to K-mart?? How many people thought after 15 years or so they had job security there???

Dow Chemical? Ford is closing how many plants? Ect.. Ect..

Really what you need to do is sit down and think about what really makes you happy in life, only you and your family can answer that question. Maybe going out to a fancy restaraunt on weekends and fancy theater shows is more important to you than a garden to grow your own foods? Maybe laying around the beach an hour every night after work instead of watching the clear night sky in peaceful nature with sounds of crickets and owls nearby?

Not everyone wants the same things from life. What you NEED is decent food, clothing, and shelter, anything else is just stuff you want to have extra. So what extra's do you want and how important are they really, can you get them while living in a rural area?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:34:36 AM by nothing to lose »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 03:49:51 AM »
A couple of questions;

Can the couple of acres be placed on a seperate title, it may be a moote point but may be relavent if you invest too much into the house.

So what is your life long dream?

In mid 2002 I left my work which I had been in for around 35 years, I understand I was making around $80,000 Auatralian then.  There were a number  of reasons for leaving, like preserving what I had left of my hearing, and I was bored, I had done every duty I could so there were no challenges left.

Now working for my self, living in a shed off Re, very little money but still manage to pay the morgage on time, ABSOLUTLY no regrets. I keep in touch with some of my ex work collieges, to a one they go to work keep their nose clean collect the money and wait to retire or die, to me that ain't living.

So go for it IMHO based on my experience.

regards Allan down under

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 03:49:51 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 06:33:04 AM »
Alan;

Yeehaw! glad you got out of racing them rats!

I have done that city living thing in the past. Had 3 "secure" positions vaporize out from under me with no real warning or lead time. One construction company, one farm equipment manufacturer and an electronic repair service center.

My grandfather worked the same manufacturing job for 35 years then retired. This is not going to be common for folks now days.

After John Deere laid  off big in '79 and '80 I moved out of the city and into the boondocks.  Never looked back. I kind of miss the big selections of stores for things like lumber, tools and materials I could find in a major city. I feel safer out here on several levels. No inner city pollution, I no longer feel I need to carry a pistol to safely leave my home. We have a nice farm we own free and clear, we grow part of our food, I kill and butcher a couple deer a year off our land, we have some solar and ongoing wind experiments and we heat with wood from the land.

It didn't happen over night and it was a lot of work and some sacrifices but I would not change any of it. I certainly would not even consider city living again. I definitely is not for everyone.

Anyway just my experience and opinion.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 06:33:04 AM by TomW »

fishfarm

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 06:50:06 AM »
I live in west central Florida, and have just put my property up for sale. My area is still somewhat rural, but growing fast and changing for the worse. Add skyrocketing property insurance rates to go with the hurricanes and the decision becomes much easier. I'm already retired, so I think I'll buy a motorhome,hook a motorcycle to the back, and go exploring. Maybe I'll see some of y'all out there. Don't know if I can take much cold weather though, I've been in Florida a long time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 06:50:06 AM by fishfarm »

Sundog

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 08:44:35 AM »
We go up next month to visit her dad.  We'll check out the house and property while we're up there.  I'll also have her dad grab me a handfull of newspapers from Nashville so I can scour the employment section, and my wife will talk to the local PO's.  

There's a lot to consider before deciding if we want to move.  The biggest thing is making sure that we'll be making close to the same money and eliminating our debt so that we can really start saving.  

It's a moot point if we have cheap rent, then pay out the wazoo for health insurance.  Especially since my wife is almost certainly going to work less hours at the post office than she does here (here she puts in 40-50 hours weeks, and she's just a substitute carrier!)  

Also, there's the matter of her job.  She's a substitute carrier right now, and will probably make regular in a year (gets her own route.)  Once she's a regular carrier, she's eligible for health insurance.  She's been there a bit over 3 years already, and is right about the top of the ladder in seniority as far as subs go.  If we move to TN, she'll loose that seniority and have to start all over again.  If we wait till she makes regular, she can put in for a transfer to TN.  But there's a handfull of subs that already have put in for transfers, and they're still waiting.  Some of them waiting for a few years already.  

To keep this RE related,

The house we're looking at renting has nearly no RE potential.  It's in a valley, surrounded by tall trees, and the creek across the driveway has neither high volume or head, except when it rains good, whereupon it quadruples in volume/speed, and is subject to lots of floating debris that would clog a waterwheel or choke a spillway.  

But when we do buy a chunk of land, I'll be thinking "Windmills, solar panels, solar hot water, and hydroelectric" when looking for land.  

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:44:35 AM by Sundog »

thefinis

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 09:06:17 AM »
Just a note from a rural west Texas boy who has lived by this motto:

Farming is a great life but a sorry living.

You sell some of your life every day you work for your paycheck. Is it worth it? Do you enjoy it and look forward to going to work? If the answer is No to any of these questions then start looking for something to do that you do enjoy because life is short but if lived right can be very sweet. It isn't the size of the paycheck but the size of the smile that counts. I know plenty of folks with lots more money that think that I have it made. They come to visit and hate to leave my poor old clutered comfortable place.

I will not tell you what you need to do that is for you to decide. As many have pointed out it looks like you want us to tell you to go. Follow your heart it may not lead you down the easiest path but it will be the most enjoyable.

Finis

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:06:17 AM by thefinis »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 09:26:23 AM »
A pay cut may not be as bad as it seems.

Like eating out in a larger city is far more expensive than a smaller town.

Less places to eat out could mean more eating at home.

Gas and time to go 20 miles in NYC is a lot more than 40 miles in the boonies.

Watch out for that health insurance.  Lawers and used car salesmen rate higher than the insurance industry in my book.

"move 800 miles so we can save money to make our life-long dream come true" is all I needed to hear.

G-

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:26:23 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nanotech

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 10:19:02 AM »
I was born and raised around Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada.  I joined the US Navy and ended up living in/around Chicago, San Francisco, L.A., and Seattle.  

After getting out of the Navy, I moved to Portland, Oregon to work for Intel to work on the team making the first generation of Pentium 4 processors.  Good pay, excellent benefits, the good life (or so I thought).  Then the market crash of 2000 left me on unemployment.  

Then the US Government made up the world-renowned [/sarcasm] operation known as the TSA (Transportation Security Agency).  I was a Lead Screener at Portland's airport making a REALLY good income with pretty good government benefits.  They then discovered that they had hired too many people and were going to be putting a lot of people on part-time.  No way was I going to be able to afford that with an $1,100 a month rental.

So I looked for other airports to transfer to.  Thief River Falls, Minnesota looked promising.  So the wife and son and I packed up everything we owned (biggest damned truck U-haul rents, a car trailer for the wife's Neon packed to the brim, plus my Neon packed to the point of an almost collapsed suspension, gave away the Dodge Caravan to Salvation Army), drove halfway across this HUGE country to what to me was the absolute boonies!!

Between what we had saved up and what we inherited when my father passed away we were able to write a check for a small fixer-upper on 10 acres of wooded land.  Two weeks later the US government decided my position was redundant and once again I was on unemployment.

But let me tell you, we have struck roots here, made probably about $25,000 worth of improvements to this house (for under $6,000), and are looking to move an entire other house in as an addition to expand this little shack (520 sq ft) out to 1,500 sq ft.  We've cleared about 3 acres of land out of the wild and have what I would call a really pretty yard.  

My autistic son has an enormous area to play in with his two Black Lab pups, I can work on my own car without annoying neighbors looking over my shoulder and complaining that I'm "devaluing thier property", I can go outside my back door (if I had one) and let off some steam with a couple hundred rounds through my Ruger 1022 (or a fewer,  more expensive but oh so more satisfying rounds through my .303 Lee Enfield) and the only thing I have to worry about is if my neighbor wants to come over and share targets!!!

I have neighbors that are willing to bend over backwards to help me out if something goes wrong (like the engine block cracking on my wife's Neon and the neighbor let me clog up his garage for a month while I changed it out), and the same neighbors I will bend over backwards to help out if I can (10 acres of trees can supply a house with a LOT of firewood).

I now make less than half what I did at Intel, but I work for a great bunch of people at Woodmaster making a product I believe in.  I drive 15 minutes through the pretty countryside to a job I like, and the only tiring part of my commute is the waving to all the folks along the way who wave first at me, knowing full well they have absolutely NO idea who I am, but just wave because they are that friendly!!

I agree with the poster above that said something about carrying a pistol every time they left the house.  It got to the point living in Long Beach, California that there were three things I grabbed on the way out the door.  My wallet, my keys, and my Ruger P89.  Now the only reason to carry a firearm when travelling anywhere is if you hit one of the several deer you'll see on a 30 minute round trip and have to put it out of its misery!!!!

How many people living in the city can say that a friendly bird has made its nest in your snow shovel not 30 feet from thier front door?  raises hand

How many city folk can say that they no longer use an alarm clock and that the birds chirping in the morning wakes them up?  raises hand

How many city folk can honestly say they wouldn't annoy thier neighbors if they took the exhaust completely off thier truck and did a full carb tune up on it? (don't ask) raises hand

How many of you living in a city can honestly say they've hand fed a deer and a racoon in the same day?  rasies hand

I wouldn't go back to living in a city EVER again.  Yes, there are some things that make life a little harder.  No cable TV, no REAL broadband internet, 5 miles away from the nearest natural gas line, 10 miles from shopping, 15 miles from the nearest law enforcement, 10 miles from the nearest hospital.  But those are things that you VERY quickly get used to the idea of.  

The full extent of a trafiic jam around here is if one of the farmers has to move his combine from one field to another and ends up taking up the whole road (plus some) for a couple minutes.  Hell, at that point you get to meet up with someone new as they come out to see why you pulled into thier driveway!!  :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that from my point of view if I was in your shoes, it would be a complete no brainer as to what to do.  City life is for people that LIKE having to down 6 cups of coffee just to have the energy required to do thier job.  Coffee is for relaxing with around here.  City life is for people who LIKE taking an hour and a half to drive 20 miles - ON THE FREEWAY!!!  I can drive 15 miles in 12 minutes if I so choose.  City life is for people that LIKE paying $1,100 a month for an apartment that goes for $350 a month out here for the EXACT same thing!!!

All I know is city life is NOT for me.  Nor my wife.  Nor my son.  The fact that my son can play outside with his dogs for 12 hours unsupervised if he so chooses to and we don't have to worry about him unless he trips or falls is beyond comprehension of some people living in a city.  A 12 year old autistic child playing outside by himself?????  :O  Around here, no problem.  In Portland or Seattle?  No way in hell!!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 10:19:02 AM by nanotech »

kenl

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 04:35:54 PM »
 What part of Tn would you be in? Are you willing to travel the south east? Have a resume? Might have a position for you. kenny

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:35:54 PM by kenl »
seemed like a good idea at the time