Author Topic: Thanks Zubbly !  (Read 365 times)

dinges

Thanks Zubbly !
« on: May 05, 2006, 05:16:08 AM »
Just wanted to take this opportunity:

THANK YOU ZUBBLY!

Have built 2 axial flux gennies (not wind) and was planning on building a 3rd one, a 10footer.

I've never understood motor conversions, even though they have many advantages; much simpler mechanically to implement, and usually mechanically much better (good house, bearings, etc.)

Started reading up a bit on the subject of motorconversions (basically reading everything ever written by Zubbly :) ) and slowly it's getting to dawn on me...

In fact, the next genny will probably be a motor conversion instead of that 10ft axial flux genny. Because the mechanics of it seem so much more attractive to me. And if I can't rewind myself, should this be necessary, there's a company in my village that can. When I compare those costs to that of a bearing, lasering plates, magnets, etc., the induction conversion becomes much more attractive. And simpler. And mechanically better/weatherproof.

Love those 3 pdf-files you wrote. Concise and most of the info is there for a starter like me. From there on, you can expand your knowledge by reading everything ever written by Zubbly. Sir, you are now my guru. :)

Just need to find a good motor now to do my first conversion.

Again, thanks! I love this board. For teaching me about the axial-flux Dan/Hugh style gennies. And now for the Zubblies.

Peter.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:16:08 AM by (unknown) »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

oztules

• Village idiot
Re: Thanks Zubbly !
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 02:38:48 AM »
Peter

I couldn't agree more. I have looked at all of Zubblies writings. It is pleasing to see someone so in touch with their craft, and so liberal in their help to others (some of us are pretty thick too.... 36 poles.. good one me.).

His enthusiasm for the subject even encouraged me to buy a  book on the subject (Electric Motor Repair Rosenberg 2nd edition), but after reading it, it may well have had only 1 page that said.........  see Zubbly files on fieldlines.com

Thanks Zubbly ...............oztules

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 02:38:48 AM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

dinges

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 02:54:29 AM »
Yes, those Zubbly posts will keep you busy for a while and they are very informative.

Just checked out my 'stack' of PC PSUs (only have 3 that are useable). All are 12V/7.5A; I want one that's 12V@10A. So have a little more patience with me. Will checkout the local PC repairshop ASAP for some old ones that they would otherwise chuck away. That PC PSU mod is really something I'm looking forward though.

So, like most of the other projects it's on temporary hold; like the 10ft axial flux genny; will try an induction conversion first.

Peter.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 02:54:29 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »
Don't forget to look at his diary . . .
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 12:33:02 PM by wooferhound »

kurt

• website
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:27:31 PM by kurt »

vawtman

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 03:21:05 PM »
Peter your right on.

Zubbly is the father of conversions.He takes you under his wing to help no matter what or how basic the question is.One awesome guy.THANKS ZUBBLY.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 03:21:05 PM by vawtman »

zubbly

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »
to all of you!

lol, you got me blushing. but thats what its all about here. it just makes me happy that we can all share what we know.

thanks for the kind comments guys.  :)  and a return thanks for all that i have learned from all of you!

zubbly

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:28:35 PM by zubbly »