Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 251 times)

stephent

Thanks
« on: July 22, 2006, 08:06:56 AM »
Thanks to the editors/moderators and posters who make this place the most interesting forum I've been to. Thanks for the overload and continous reading I have to do just to "catchup". Thanks for shooting down some ideas I have had previously about PM alternators/generators (now I don't have to test those and have a dismal end result).

Now I can just go ahead and build my 3rd set of test wind blades and the 4th or 5th test alternator on proven to work plans and actually probably get something to "gen" properly.

My testbed is currently an old drill stand and a 8inch plates and multimeter--it works as long as the normal cast bottom drill support plate is lowered so it don't mess up the coil/mag properties--hay--poor people have poor ways ya know!

But I am still gonna look into using a little bit of HF/VHF rated ferrite in the coil areas someday still. I think most folks are using the wrong stuff when they try ferrite cores in the coils, but for now it's going to be open coils and dual mag rotors.

I tried normal transformer laminates in line with flux in a core--lots of vibration when the mags passed--cogging and bad response at higher frequencies (rpm) for the 60 hz metal. Laminated silica steel strip coils behind the wire coils dragged noticably (get them from newer transformers or pole pigs--it's called "tape wound" cores) but it helps with single rotors. Drag isn't going to get it for me, I live in a very low average wind area so it's larger/faster then required blade to alternator size and early furling for me, I guess. Other suggestions?

But since a reading a bunch here and a few other sites--I'm going to have to build something that works out of the box cuz my wife's getting a bit miffed with trying to pick up some of the magnets I have left laying on the kitchen table stuck to various stuff that normally accumulates there. Man those Neo's are strong, and yeah I have a couple of bloodblisters now.

She needs to see something work soon.....she's in a "power saving" mode and me accumulating various types and pieces of scrap steel beside the drive isn't helping her see any savings. I see a tail boom--mast--bearings/races--and blades in the pile--she just sees a "pile" of "stuff".

So thanks again for just being here--it's saving me from a few headaches and I guess time for experimentation is over--time to just "get-er-done".

But someday I am gonna try that ferrite (HF/VHF rated--low permeability) again....maybe.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:06:56 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Thanks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 02:23:47 AM »
You can save yourself more trouble by ignoring the ferrites.

At best a properly constructed ferrite core will be somewhere between a dual rotor and a laminated iron core.

Slightly more output for a given volume of magnet, some cogging depending on the design and lower core loss than laminations, largely due to the reduced flux density.

At worst it will be worse than a laminated iron core, with bad cogging and less output for magnet volume.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:23:47 AM by Flux »