Author Topic: Does anyone use their windmill to make money?  (Read 235 times)

lilboxerfrank

Does anyone use their windmill to make money?
« on: July 04, 2006, 10:23:24 PM »
I am looking into building or buying a windmill and connecting it to the grid.  Does anyone else out there have experience connecting to the grid and getting paid by the power company?  If so do they pay you at the rate that they charge you or is it less?  Thanks, Frank

Reinstated due to whining about the terrible editors.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:23:24 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Does anyone use their windmill to make money?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »
Electric utilitys that buy power ( many dont) usualy pay at a rate that is favorable to them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:50:39 PM by drdongle »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »
Frank;

Do a quick search of this board using google and you'll find several past discussions concering this very issue.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 05:04:59 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

finnsawyer

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:19:07 AM »
Whining?  Whining would be please, please, please reinstate comments for this.  I can't live without it.  Bah, humbug.

More to the point.  While selling power to the grid profitably is iffy, the times 'they are a changing'.  So, the answer is, "It depends where you live."  Michigan, for example has a net metering law, which means you can get credit at retail price for power you sell back to the company.  The caveat (there always is one) is that after a year the power company gets to keep at no cost to them any excess power you generate over that year.  As such, this isn't much different than generating your own power off grid, except you never run out of power, you probably need no batteries, and you need to buy an approved inverter (ka-ching).  My own take is that over time various factors will come together to make the prospect of selling home brew power to "the man" more realistic.  I don't believe this wind power thing is static, but will evolve over time.  

« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:19:07 AM by finnsawyer »

jmk

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 10:25:34 PM »
 I think a nice advantage to net metering is you don't have to rewire the house. You can just let the mills power go where ever it is needed. I don't even care if it spins the meter backwords. Although it would be great if it did. I just would be happy that all the power I made was getting used by the house and not getting dumped.Alls I want is it to slow the meter down. If I wanted it to spin backwards to get credit I think I would need to have a mill like Dan's. I think Michigan only pays two cents a kw. They give you the choice of net metering with one meter, or selling power back with two meters.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:25:34 PM by jmk »

domwild

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 11:49:01 PM »
One interesting suggestion was to use the same towers to repeat TV, Internet, telephone signals using the same tower the mill is on. This guy offered these services to the local farmers. Perhaps an addition to the power sales?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:49:01 PM by domwild »