Author Topic: flawed wind generator poll  (Read 258 times)

desertcoyote

flawed wind generator poll
« on: August 25, 2006, 05:22:51 AM »
There should have been a selection for those who have built the own wind generator, that was destroyed, and who never what to try again.

My generator broke a blade. I secured it, but, as it all happened I ended up in the hospital (unrelated). But while I was there, my brother and freind thought it entertaining to watch run 2/3.

But never the less, one gripe I have had is.. well I have had pretty much all of the <=1KW commercial types is that they cranck amps, amps, amps, 7-14 days straight, but without some solar power help the rarely get the batteries up to to the "float voltage". They do a good job at bubbling all the water out of the batteries in the proccess as well.

Road Kill ..... The desert coyote.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:22:51 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: flawed wind generator poll
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 03:27:08 AM »
Well, I think it would be more like "How many screwed up and did not do things right"?

Not picking on you, but in the interest of NOT chasing away newbies with false info...

Can't blame the genny because people want to watch it bounce out of balance and destroy itself, I geuss that's what 2/3 means. If you lost a blade, well that says something was done wrong right there. Was it faulty wood with lots of knots, was it mounted to close and hit the tower??? Not bolted on well? 80mph winds and no furling?

If "they crank amps, amps, amps, 7-14 days straight" BUT "they rarely get the batteries up to to the "float voltage" you need to find the problem in your system, something you did was probably wrong or broke.

Your using more amps from the batteries than your putting in, something other than batteries is holding the volts down, bad batteries, bad wires, or something. But you had a problem somewhere if the Wind genny was making good amps steady and you never reached float voltage.

You never need solar power help for a wind genny! If you have good wind and a working system  a wind genny will make more power than a solar pannel unless it is just a yard ornanmant type. The only time you need help from solar is if you have no wind or poor winds. Having both is good also. But with steady good wind for a couple days a 500watt wind genny will make more power in 24hrs of wind than 500watts of solar pannels in 5-8hrs of sun per day.

"They do a good job at bubbling all the water out of the batteries in the proccess as well"

Again, something wrong somewhere in your system. Were you getting 1kw at 12V into one battery? That might do it, 83amps into a 200 amp battery for a full day might boil it dry. I have had scrap batteries with a bad cell boil on just a 12V 20amp charger (240watts?), they read 12.5V or so after charging but in a few hours sitting with no load or charging back around 11V. Maybe your batteries were bad?

No info about your system so no real geuss what was wrong, but it was not working correctly we can be sure!

Watts is watts and amps is amps, either your making them or your not, where they come from does not matter!  At high enough voltage does matter, 18V will not charge a 24V system of course.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 03:27:08 AM by nothing to lose »

desertcoyote

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 12:00:59 AM »
I donn't know what it is. does you wind generator go to 28.8V at midnight the go to bed? Well none of mine have. The bergy has the smarts, but, yet, falls into the negative feed back loop of cranking amps, amps, amps, this heats the bank, lowering the  "float voltage", this dummy does not know what time it is, nor the temperature. You can literally feel the heat radiating from the batteries in the morning. But, yet, old SOl, gets thing straight, and promply when the sun comes up. The batteries, motley crew as they are always load test positive. Sure life is not perfect, but you have to deal with it. I still do not want to build another wind generators, ... got alot of other stuff on my plate. I will leave it to the pro's. I did build and erect my owem 63' tower all by my self. though. Thought I could do it cheaper and stronger. Did not need four men like they say, Just me and my widgets.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 12:00:59 AM by desertcoyote »

desertcoyote

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 10:53:56 PM »
Sorry for the biased poll master. But, the wind generator loses a leg, the coyote breaks his. The wind generator suffers giant  turmoil in the hands of the new ruthless masters, hell bent and betting on how much torture the 2/3rd animated monster can struggle in it's chains and shackles. The coyote, tolerates, but never enjoys the torture and sequestration; loving care, needles, injections, screws, traction, bedpans and all of these civilized worldly benefits.

So those who tempt to tame the free blowing Kate, keep a handle on the ever present Fate, as manna can clamor, and make you heed, just indeed.

So just this night, secure the chickens just right. Cause the desert coyote is out for fright.

Signing off, DC.

Road kill, no good, live chickens better.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:53:56 PM by desertcoyote »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:26:06 AM »
Ya, wind gennies may not be what everyone wants, Heck I don't want a new BMW either but alot of people do. I might like to have a used BMW though, saw a nice red one I liked once.

Not sure how to read that, but if the problem was you were getting too much power at night and cooking your batteries then I think it was probably a charge controller problem.

Sure solar pannels go to bed at night cause when there is no sun they make no power. The wind is 24/7 randomly at any speed. You got to either shut the genny down or dump the excess power when batteries are full. Maybe you did not have a charge controller doing this correctly, maybe not large enough or it broke, thus over charging at night durring good winds? Perhaps it was only a 20amp dumpload and you were getting 50amps?

Anyway if you don't want another that's fine. But something still was not correct on the other one you had if you had those problems.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:26:06 AM by nothing to lose »

desertcoyote

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 11:31:09 PM »
I have one, and could not function with out it. Don't get me wrong.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:31:09 PM by desertcoyote »