Author Topic: Lead Prices  (Read 257 times)

hapuna beach

Lead Prices
« on: November 13, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »
Now sure if anyone else noticed this, but it looks like lead acid battery prices will continue to go up! First it was steel, cement, copper; now lead:

"Leading domestic car battery maker GS Yuasa Battery Ltd. said Monday it plans to raise prices by more than 25 per cent for the batteries it supplies to autoparts retailers and others due to surging raw material prices.

Taking hold next month, the move by the GS Yuasa Corp. (TSE:6674) group firm will affect over half of the domestic market for car batteries. It comes after Furukawa Battery Co. (TSE:6937) announced Thursday that it would implement price increases of 10-30 per cent.

Producers are no longer able to absorb increases in the cost of lead, a key raw material that accounts for 70 per cent of a battery's price. On the London Metal Exchange, the price of lead has jumped 20 per cent the last three months. As demand grows, particularly in China, shipments from leading producer Australia have declined, causing supply shortages."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:37:33 PM by (unknown) »

Capt Slog

Re: Lead Prices
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:42:43 AM »
Metal thefts have increased in the UK because of the increasing scrap price of metals.  Many buildings here have lead on parts of the roofs (I suppose you must also do that in the US? ) and churches are always a favourite target for theives as they are unoccupied most of the time.  It isn't often noticed until the church floods, causing lots more damage.

But this year there have been reports of people stealing copper.  This has included pipes and cables/conductors from electric substations; these have been removed

live!  Even brass doorknobs have been taken from street doors.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:42:43 AM by Capt Slog »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:33:30 AM »
Yikes!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:33:30 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:36:55 AM »
Metal thefts have been a problem for several years now, due to the high price of various metals.

But what's happening lately is something different.  It isn't that the price of metals has taken a big jump.  It's that the value of the dollar has taken a big drop.

Inflation - printing (or the bookkeeping equivalent) extra money dilutes the money already out there.  This takes value from everything denominated in dollars (bank deposits, bonds, debts, anunities, insurance policies, parts of retirement funds, etc.) and gives it to those who get to use the new money first (typically financial institutions).  It's a tax on dollars and anything denominated in dollars.  (It also "readjusts" payment terms of existing contracts, lowering salaries and giving employers the opportunity to make that stick by doing nothing rather than raising them in proportion.)

These financial institutions made a LOT of bad housing loans, which started failing when the inerest rates climbed and the balloon-payments or interest-rate adjustemnts hit the sub-prime borrowers, compounding the problem by making housing prices drop as a lot of those houses went back on the market all at once.  After a couple big institutions went belly-up the fed decided to bail out the rest and has "sped up the printing presses" - big time - drastically speeding up transfer of value to them and sucking it out of everybody else.  This is some of that fallout.  Then, with the dollar plummeting, foreign countries and big institutions are switching to other currencies, pushing it further down in good old supply/demand style.  (Some of the oil producing countries are switching to the Yen and Euro for new contracts.)

An easy way to find out more about this is to start by Googling Ron Paul.  This is one of his big issues (on which he's an expert).  His (very clear) explanations and others' commentary about them will give you more links to experts on the subject and buzzwords for more searches.

Meanwhile, now would be a good time to look over your own investments and if you have too much in cash start moving some of it to other resources, like stocks and commodities.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:36:55 AM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

veewee77

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »
China is buying up all the lead so they can use it in toys.

JMHO - YMMV

Doug

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:46:18 PM by veewee77 »

Devo

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:27 PM »
I took  2280 lbs of scrap batteries or  a little more last week to the salvage yard & got $524,I couldn't believe it...

Devo

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:15:27 PM by Devo »

jonas302

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »
I just sold scrap lead today for 15 cents a pound and that was to a travaling buyer so it was worth more at the scrapyard 5 years ago it was 5 cents if you could get someone to take it #1 copper was 3 dollars a pound

another intersting point is we are starting to get paid for drain oil
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:29:50 PM by jonas302 »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 03:20:24 PM »
Google

Zeitgeist

and select the movie one that comes first.

Its scary :o

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:20:24 PM by Jon Miller »

richhagen

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:55:40 PM »
Like the UK, thefts of metal have increased here (U.S.) as well.  Everything from air conditioning coils from rooftop condensers to copper and steel from construction sites, and even man hole covers.  I don't see prices coming down unless there is a pretty good recession.  In the alley between my street and the next, someone even stole the copper tubing from the building to the condensor from three residential air conditioning units.  I would have thought about giving them at least a hundred forty seven grains of recycleable lead and copper instead had I have seen them. :-) Rich
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:55:40 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

richhagen

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 11:28:27 PM »
I'll stick to the facts I can actually lookup on that one.  Everyone seems to be so one sided and pushing things to their particular goal or interest, basically propoganda to paint someone or something as evil.  It is often extremely difficult to tell where the truth is, and where it isn't.  I don't buy into that production a bunch of half truths don't make the whole truth.  Rich
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:28:27 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!