Author Topic: good news for the UK maybe  (Read 277 times)

bob golding

good news for the UK maybe
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:58:59 PM »
watched this guy talking on the tv this lunchtime. he seems to be sincere, which to rare in a politician i know, but the other side was agreeing with him for a change. they both laid it on the line that we cant just sit on our butts and hope it will all go away. think they are way off with nuclear though given uranium prices are rising faster that oil at the moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7135299.stm

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 06:58:59 PM by (unknown) »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: good news for the UK maybe
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 12:30:03 PM »
Yes, I think that it is promising.

A whole 1GW+ is being built offshore near London, and I buy my electricity from EcoTricity which uses all its sales to finance the building of more (onshore) turbines (and supplies wind energy as about 30% of the mix).

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:30:03 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

jonhalle

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
some notes of caution, there are currently a large number of projects in the pipeline but waiting for grid connection...over 10GW according to british wind energy association (thats 5 times the total current Ukl onshore wind!)...the UK govt is talking a nice line in renewables but:

• cutting real support for micro renewables by 60% (low carbon buildings programme)
  • EU report says Renewables obligation is worst scheme in europe for supporting renewables
  • we have 4% renewables. 3 Euro countries have >20%, germany has 17%
  • 22% of our 'renewables' are actually coal power stations co-firing imported biomass

oh and this:

Worldwide investment in renewables 2006 :£18 billion

Northern Rock bale-out: £25 billion!

as usual the real work is being done at the grassroots. us UK-dwellers need to put serious pressure on government, the current round of announcements is really cynical against a systematic failure to support renewables.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:52:16 PM by jonhalle »

bob golding

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:33:50 PM »
yep i didnt say i believed him just thought it sounded promising. here in the far south west we are busy drawing up a scheme to access the power requirments for the whole of west penwith. is around 30 MW with the current grid capacity being around 20MW. so it is doable but not with onshore wind. most of the area is AONB or SSSI. AONB (area of outstanding natural beauty) SSSI (site of special scientific interest) only since the tourist trade. it used to be full of water pumping windmills and tin mines. still thats progress for you. i think a mix of wind ,wave, solar and gas generation from animal waste would do it. any form of gas generation would be better than just dumping the pig slurry on the field behind the house, which is what happens now. he only does it when the wind is the right direction!!!! so far there are around 4 turbines between 5 and 15 kw on a few farms plus a 5 KW solar pv on a listed buiding that is in a AONB AND a sssi. so it can be done.

cheers

bob golding    

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 03:33:50 PM by bob golding »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 03:34:49 PM »
I also viewed the 'politics show' program today in the U.K

Indeed, off shore wind seems like it will be going ahead around our island, there was a concern regarding the proposed 7000 offshore wind turbines planned though.

The interviewer suggested an off shore turbine could be sited every 1/2 mile around the U.K coastline, I'm sure they will be sited in 'clusters'.

I welcome it.

Ben.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 03:34:49 PM by gotwind2 »

bob golding

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
hi ben,

yes that  "one every 1/2 mile" was a sound bite for the rest of the media. already quoted on the bbc news site, and no doubt the daily mail tommorow just to give the NIMBYS something to moan about.

cheers

bob

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:13:35 PM by bob golding »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:36:47 AM »
BBC follow up article here today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7135930.stm

"All UK homes could be powered by offshore wind farms by 2020"

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 04:36:47 AM by gotwind2 »

finnsawyer

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »
I hope they plan for the expected 20 foot rise in sea level when they build these.  It would be a shame to see that level of investment come to a premature end during a storm.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:20:13 AM by finnsawyer »

bob golding

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 08:29:30 AM »
hi geo,

i hope so too. we have just had a force 11 storm this weekend. wave height at most of the weather station bouys was around 40 to 60 feet. around the coast 30 foot swells are common. these things are around 250 foot high to the hub i believe.

cheers

bob

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:29:30 AM by bob golding »

wdyasq

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/3xgx8z

"If the media only reported facts, who would be frightened about sea levels rising at the current rate of six inches per century? Who'd be frightened by the earth warming just two-tenths of a degree C over the past 70- years?"

But, why let facts stand in the way of a good story.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:09:32 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

elvin1949

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »
Ron

I wish it would hurry,it would give me ocean front

property.AH the things i could do with that.

Well a feller can dream can't he.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:47:35 AM by elvin1949 »

finnsawyer

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:30:28 AM »
Another thing to consider is the possibility of rogue waves.  Although mariners had reported the existence of these for centuries, the know better scientists had said it couldn't be until a oil platform in the North Sea recorded a 100 foot wave.  That was in your neighborhood, by the way.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:30:28 AM by finnsawyer »

jonhalle

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 03:17:17 AM »
i suppose this is a joke? dennis avery? he of the 'organic food is bad for you' angle? and this:

http://www.desmogblog.com/news-alert-hudson-institute-and-dennis-averys-scientific-spin-on-andes-gla
cier-study

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:17:17 AM by jonhalle »

bob golding

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 05:55:10 PM »
yes rouge waves are something to be considered. one would hope the people designing these things are putting that sort of info in thier models. the oil industry in the uk have 30 years of experiance working around the coasts of the uk, i supect they are not planning to put them too far out to sea anyway,just far enough to be out of site. subsea cable isnt cheap.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:55:10 PM by bob golding »

domwild

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »
Read that Denmark managed to export electricity one night from its windfarms, meaning one night the country got all its electricity from its wind AND managed to export some of it to the Euro grid. So much for the myth that you cannot have more than 10 or 20 percent wind power in the mix.

Our politicians in Australia know when something is dearer not to touch it. A tidal power station in the north of Western Australia's Kimberley region with 30 foot tides was not built. In Perth the hydrogen buses have been mothballed. A wind mill at Denmark (southwestern West Australia) has not been built after some protest by residents and lack of support by a federal politician spooked by the protest. The hillside where the mill was to be established has already been disfigured by a limestone quarry; the protest was all about placing the mill at a "pristine" scenic coastal spot?!

The US navy base at Exmouth with its VLF submarine transmission station, also Western Australia, has the largest diesel generators in the southern hemisphere. The navy has that much waste electricity that it offered it to the town of Exmouth free with a small proviso, that during emergencies the town would not have any electricity. Not on, said our government and set up their own power station. A waste of money as I am sure the power fails there just as often.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:15:30 PM by domwild »