Author Topic: Gremlins on this site  (Read 347 times)

jbear

Gremlins on this site
« on: February 26, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
I am having major problems with many of the posting's on this site, seems that a lot of them are carrying attached viruses ? maybe all those doing a posting should do a carefull look see at their operating system?

Or is it jusy my machine?  Jim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:04:36 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: Gremlins on this site
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »
No problem here. I use spybot Search and Destroy on my PCs tho. It is free on the internet. I also have Norton AV.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:20:44 AM by jimjjnn »

bug bit

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:44:04 AM »
I lurk quietly here every day. Sometimes several times. Not even a sniffle.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:44:04 AM by bug bit »

gordon01639

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
You must have a virus on your system probably i-worm it tends to get activated when on a board for some reason. use AVG it probably wont delete it but you can download vscanner from there site this will delete it.

Gordon.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:56:55 AM by gordon01639 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:10:36 AM »
jbear;

Sorry, but you obviously do not understand how virii work. You may well have downloaded something linked on this site that infested your computer. Unlikely, but possible.

The message board is very unlikely to have passed on any infestation because you read the board.

Look to your other sites and downloads because, if you run Windows, you are vulnerable to a universe of stuff.

Not sure why I let this fairly off topic story stand but I did. Hopefully others will chime in to inform you you are probably not at risk reading this forum.

You are, however, at risk on almost any site you download from. I don't have time to go into detail and anything I try to explain will be here say because I abandoned Windows long ago due to just these security reasons.

Good luck.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 09:10:36 AM by TomW »

asheets

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »
Shoot me an email, and I'll try to help you clean up your system.  Like others have said, the likelyhood of any of the Dans' sites passing out bad code is pretty small (it is bad for business, and considering their traffic a lot of us would have complained by now).

There are some snippets of code on the boards that occasionally trigger pre-existing virii and poorly written browser applets -- not the Dans' fault again (though when I talk to them face-to-face this spring, I'm going to have a suggestion for changing the backoffice 'ware a bit).

Again, shoot me an email, and we can get this straightened out.  I'm a 15 year IT professional and instructor, and used to freelance in taking care of things like this (until Geeks-backwards-R-Them tried to crowd me out, and in the process caused malpractice insurance throughout the industry to go through the roof).

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:30:38 AM by asheets »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 10:40:34 AM »
My anti-virus software keeps track of who tries to do what to me.

It does NOT show any of Dan's sites as trying anything.

Alan's very generous offer sounds like a winner.

G-

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:40:34 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

stop4stuff

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »
same again...

no probs here

I scan AVG once a day nothing on my system.

paul

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:52:28 AM by stop4stuff »

kurt

• website
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 02:44:22 PM »
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ run this free scan then get avg free version.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:44:22 PM by kurt »

PeterAVT

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
jbear, let me comment. I've been lurking here for a couple of years with nary a problem. OK, I lost my password a couple times but that was my own fault. Here is what I think OK?

I get stuff on my firewall all the time, but I stopped it from both sending and receiving. It auto-updates based on some pretty strict rules regardless of where anything comes from. I have to actually click on or enable anything manually before it happens. I'm on a cable modem but DSL is similar; anybody on the service could be sending stuff whether they know it or not. Sometimes somebody puts a bum download without even knowing it -- I didn't have any problems. You might want to delete the first one and try again just in case.

I use linux, which is very similar to Apple Mac OSX, but Windows has things all its own. I can't afford a Mac so I had to learn... I would do a good cleaning on my machine to get rid of any possible spyware and viruses. Use a few different products for it because they don't catch everything. Yeah, I know it takes a while, I've done it. Make sure you have a decent firewall setup; even one of the little Linksys or D-Link routers should do it, usually for less than $80 bucks. Keep it all up to date with the latest fixes; windows does it auto-magically at midnight or something like that. You paid for it, so use it!

Sometimes it also happens that somebody sends a bum zip file or has a slightly different zip version. Ask them about that. Or their site might have a problem, but I'm sure this site doesn't for a fact.

Yeah I know its a lot because I did it years ago, but I hope this helps somehow.

-Take care out there on the 'net

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 05:15:52 PM by PeterAVT »

jimjjnn

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 06:06:03 PM »
Spybot lets me know if there are any problems and lets me accept or refuse changes in my computer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:06:03 PM by jimjjnn »

RUFUS

• Still starving in the east Texas piney woods
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
Only bug i ever got here was

my crack about M L M got canned

after the first day

Rufus

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:26:57 PM by RUFUS »

Murlin

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 11:06:26 AM »
"problems with access to posting's"

Dude, the only Gremlins on this site are the ones that wield the huge pencil erasers, and they are harmless to your PC.....

But seriously, Hotmail will report bogus virus warnings all the time...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:06:26 AM by Murlin »

jbear

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:56:54 AM »
Alan, I seem to have created q bit of a storm here. Sorry for that.

Exactly what I get from various posting's as I try to download them for reading is that "Internet Explorer can not donwload due to some type of internal orginisation failure" ? what ever that means.

This machine just came back from the PC Doc and they went all through it, cleaned it up, put in a new power supply as I fryed the other one (to much of a surge from the gas genny and the surge protectors will not work with it) and they put in the latest version of windows. Also had the latest version of Norton installed, 2007 to the tune of $80.00. As I said in the initial coment, maybe it's my system? Personal e-mail jbear1@tds.net in case you have some ideas. By the way, I usually do not use this everday as it hits the batteries to hard. Only run it when the genny is charging. I need to get a wind genny up fast! Sorta hard with 3 feet of snow out there and I dont have it built as yet!  Thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:56:54 AM by jbear »

asheets

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
I will email you directly.  Your symptoms are definately NOT site related.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:18:44 PM by asheets »