Author Topic: Read this, it might save your life one day.  (Read 274 times)

Capt Slog

Read this, it might save your life one day.
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »
Scenario:

You're on your own in the car, you've had a stressful day, you're tired and upset.  You suddenly feel a severe pain in the chest which radiates to your left arm and jaw.  You are only 5 miles from the nearest hospital, but you won't make it that far.

You've been trained in CPR, but that won't help, because the guy who ran the course didn't tell you how to perform it on yourself!  If your heart is beating improperly and you begin to feel faint, you have about 10 seconds before you loose consciousness.

Answer.

Don't panic, but start coughing, repeatedly and vigorously.  Take a deep breath before each cough, the cough must be deep and prolonged as when trying to bring up sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and cough must be repeated about every two seconds untill help arrives or untill the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

The deep breath get oxygen into the lungs whilst the coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure also help the heart to regain a normal rythm allowing you time to get to hospital.

(Article published on #240 of 'journal of the general hospital Rochester' and taken from a Slideshow presentation)

Seriously off topic I know, but serious enough to be off topic.  Please note that coughing should not take the place of adminstered CPR if there is someone there to help you.

Way off topic. Should have been removed but by the time I found it it had comments so I left it in order to avoid "where did my comment go?" confusion. Come on , guys, this is not the place for these things. And replying to it only encourages it.
Well, it is your board and you can turn it into webmd if you want. I am making it read only, so if you want to discuss this stuff do it in your Diary.

Please pass onto others.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:03:01 AM by (unknown) »

David HK

Re: Read this, it might save your life one day.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:05:45 AM »
Rubbish!

You have just written an article of interest and said "you have been trained in CPR". This is an international web site - what the hell is CPR?

Once again the victims of whatever CPR is, are in the hands of those that creep on to websites extolling the most fantastic ways of extending human life in the expectation that everyone else knows what they are talking about!

Don't bother, I would rather die normally!

David

Hong Kong

PS This is not a renewable energy article.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:05:45 AM by David HK »

drdongle

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 05:31:59 AM »
 David, I don't know if the coughing information presented is accurate but CPR is a legitimate treatment that can be performed by a first responder or emergency personnel, I was trained in CPR ( cartio pulmonary recitation) many years ago.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:31:59 AM by drdongle »

David HK

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:49:51 AM »
Dear Dr Carpe Vigor,

Your comments were read with interest, but I do know if you are a medical doctor, or another, with an acedemic degree which prefers such an honour.

It is ridiculous to post such comments on a web site like this when we are pre-occupied with renewable energy matters.

The subject seems more appropriate for a medical web site forum or an association connected with first aid matters.

My tu'ppence worth for whatever it may contribute to mankind.

David

Hong Kong

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:49:51 AM by David HK »

Capt Slog

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 06:07:05 AM »
CPR is Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation, it is the two-hands-on-chest-and-push-down thing that you will see on many hospital dramas in TV (television) and films around the world, and does indeed save many lives.  I have no need to extol the virtues of it, it's just done, as are blood transfusions, brain surgery etc.

True, this is a renewable energy website, however, this IS the rants and opinions section.  I therefore thought that I would post something that might do someone a favour one day; life being one of the things that is not renewable and can be tragically short for want of a little intervention.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:07:05 AM by Capt Slog »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Normal death
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:09:13 AM »
Have you ever had a heart attack....and if so

did you think it was normal?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:09:13 AM by Norm »

David HK

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:34:39 AM »
Norm,

After seeing what it's all about it becomes more clear.

Never-the-less, it would have been helpful if the original author could have written the message out more clearly instead of using abbreviations that nobody can lock on to, nor understand - in the first instance - remember this is an international website so more care should be taken in the use of the English language.

Apart from that, I have never knowingly had a heart attack, but my wife has driven me up and around the bend on many occasions, when I thought I may have had one!

How does one know if one has had a heart attack?

David HK

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:34:39 AM by David HK »