Author Topic: Dead inverter  (Read 245 times)

Soapman

Dead inverter
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:12:36 AM »
In one of my previous postings I mentioned that my inverter was reading an overload with nothing plugged into it. It was thought that maybe it was the cold. Being just a cheap 400 watt this doesn't surprise me. Well after warming up for a couple of weeks( I've been busy) it's still doing the same thing. I'm guessing it's dead. So I'm not sure what to get to replace it. Money is a serious issue. Canadian tire keeps putting 1000 watt Xantrex inverters on sale for $75. Are these any good? Is this worth while? I would love to just say to hell with it and go all the way,but my failing septic says that's not going to happen anytime soon. Just when you think you've got a little money saved, someone or something comes along and takes it :-)

Bill W

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:12:36 AM by (unknown) »

vawtsup

Re: Dead inverter
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:44:40 PM »
Hey Bill W

So you say;

"Being just a cheap 400 watt this doesn't surprise me."

And you're thinking about buying a cheap 1000W inverter, Hmmm.

As another Bill W once said:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

Just my Rant , Ron M

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:44:40 PM by vawtsup »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »
Might want to check the 400W for a cold solder joint or a single tiny strand of wire that didn't get into the hole and is touching something it should not.

I am not very familiar with the Xpower, but believe it is the replacement for the Statpower Portawattz line, and I Really liked those.

With a limited budget, I'd try it for US$60!  Seems like a great deal.  It has to beat $50 for another 400W known to be a cheapie-Chinese inverter.

G-

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 07:32:58 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
damn iwas just on Xantrex site , their home page !!

and got spammed !

now windows is reporting that i have spyware , my windows background ,where the grassy hills used to be ,is blank, and yahoo has taken over my home page, WTF !!!

xantrex ,,,, you stink!!

and no i havnt installed antivirus protection yet because it is a relatively new machine , and where i usually surf i've never needed it.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:09:27 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:14:02 PM »
My spy-ware stuff has a list of who tried what.

Xantrex isn't on the list, and I was there just before I posted.

(Willib- Did you get my cap email?)

G-
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:14:02 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 12:29:28 PM »
last night i installed sun java applet so i could see the windmills overlooking Atlantic city ,

maybe that opened the door to something on xantrex site.

all i know is i clicked on a picture of their 400 watt converter ( to enlarge it)

it took longer than usual to load (not imediatly)and i got two popups which i did not click on , then my windows grassy hills were gone , and yahoo took over the homepage ,to the extent that i coundn't change it back to google.

long story short ,different box ,reformatted HD , new windows install and an hour of my life that i will never get back.

thank god that i have my emails stored at another location , otherwise i would be stuck with an 'F'ed up machine.

ghurd i shall look for your email

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:29:28 PM by willib »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
just saw your email , thanks

also they just shipped the two Boss supercaps i ordered , expected arrival 02/13/07

they are 1 farad or 1.2 dont remember , 20Volt - 24V surge

and i appologize to Soapman for cluttering up his post with my problems/story today.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:46:52 PM by willib »