Author Topic: LOOK at YAHOO Genny  (Read 307 times)

nothing to lose

LOOK at YAHOO Genny
« on: April 20, 2007, 11:13:22 AM »
I could not see how to save it or I would have,

Went to Yahoo.com to check my mail and there was this neat banner logo flash animation or such.

The Y turns into a spinning 3 blade genny, an extension cord runs out and across bottom to the ! and it turns into a CFL

If you go to look at it and it's just a blue sky green grass and Big red Yahoo roll the mouse over the Y and it starts.

Maybe everyone else has already seen it. I never had though. COOL.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:13:22 AM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: LOOK at YAHOO Genny
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 06:49:47 AM »
Hey NTL;

Just tried it out too:--) It's cute!! Nice way to show they're green side without "offending" someone :--)

Thaks for the notice.

TGIF!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 06:49:47 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

crashk6

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »
They did the animation in shockwave flash.. it doesn't permit saving content in any visible way but it is possible. I saved it no problem. If you would like to save and view the animation, go to yahoo then from the file menu of your web browser select "Save page as" by default it sends it to your desktop. If you have it set to ask just point it to your desktop. When you look at your desktop there will be an html file and a folder delete the html file then head into the folder. Delete everything in it except the file named mhearthwm.swf this is the actual animation. Oh, and you can store this where ever you like.

To view and run the animation just open a browser window and under the file menu select "Open File" and point it to where ever you finaly stored the swf file.

This all assumes your running firefox but should work the same on most other browsers. I do know however some browsers refuse to open un-embedded shockwave flash... and of course you need to have up to date plugins.

--

crashk6

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:38:54 AM by crashk6 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
crashk6;

Works with MYIE2 as well. Thanks for the heads up!!

Still fun to watch:--)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:05:00 PM by Bruce S »

crashk6

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »
Hey Bruce S,

I had not heard of that particular IE clone before.. I searched it out and it seemed interesting from what I saw, they are even setup for donations for their project... I was then struck by what I didn't see concerning donation based free use software. I wondered around until I found the licence...  It an EULA  not BSD or GPL :-(  

Would not give them money on those grounds. But I am curious about your experience with browsing from a security standpoint? Does it contract spyware etc like the actual IE does or did these folks actually manage to patch IE?

--

crashK6

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:09:51 PM by crashk6 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 09:05:54 AM »
crashK6;

They are a IE clone in name only. They don't actually use IE only the DLLs or "jet-engine" portion of it.

They do a very good job of controlling spyware,pop-ups and all.

I've used them for ~3years now. Never had any problems with pop-ups or anything.

I have different flavors of linux running at home including BSD running on a 4-porcessor 16 HD server. I also generally try to run firefox , but there are sites that continue to program for IE only. So this is the IE bypass I use.

I have done those cute little tests you can find online, that will tell you if you're secure, NOT the ones people send in a email , that likes to format your HDs , but real ones. I've not failed in any of them.

I like the real tabbed expericence and that I can have the tabs on the bottom of my screen instead of in my way on the top.

The EULA and it being free, I know they would like donations , but on the website the ask but in the setup you can even see that they don't really expect money. So I consider it freeware. There's the first time screen that ask, but even that goes away and is never seen again.

Hope that helps

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:05:54 AM by Bruce S »

MattR

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:28:36 AM »
I use Avant browser. Runs off IE probably the same way and it does have lots of options including tabs at the bottom. I do not even open MSIE anymore.

MattR.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:28:36 AM by MattR »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »
MattR;

That's a good one too. I started using MYIE2 quite a while ago and just kept going with it.

I like the look of Avant my give it a try:-)

Another one I'm leaning towrds is Ultrabroswer it's a non-istall tpye that sits on my 512 USB no install necessary, and best when you pop out the USB the Browsing history goes with it.

Still in it early stages, but very stable. Windows only vesrion and haven't tried it with RSS feed yet. but free and very small footprint.

Thanks for the browser

Bruce S

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:48:16 AM by Bruce S »