Author Topic: Doing it or just talking / arguing about it ?  (Read 327 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Doing it or just talking / arguing about it ?
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:36:50 PM »
I have no problem with debate and I think for the most part it's healthy but not on the main board. There was a time when we would see and read about projects in process or completed or failures besides. Most of us quietly go about our hobby until we would like to contribute and then these posts are Gold. Lately there has been so much talk and name calling to see who has the largest ego or needs to prove something I think we are losing the heart of this board. I'd like to suggest that the "I'm smarter than you are" people kindly step over to the Rants and Opinions and let the fun continue on the main board for all the people out there "doing it and paving the way not just talking". Come on back when you have built something, I look forward to seeing more of those posts again. Dave B.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:36:50 PM by (unknown) »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Doing it or just talking / arguing about it ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
went out on a overnighter...mill ran great after spending the winter on top of the shop--just had to tighten up the stator bolts somewhat..

drove out to see the glacier...its all but gone.

when i was a kid the glacier use to dive down into the lake and extend out by over a third of the lake..use to be all kinds of hugh icebergs to climb around on...hmm

for some reason the smaller picture turned out to be a larger file--even thou i resized it twise--camera was used at the same setting for all.?????

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:31:14 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:38:05 PM »
might want to zap that last picture--takes to long to load up??????
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:38:05 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:45:37 PM »
Dave B;

Yes, we do have an entire herd of "experts" who have never built anything or even put one up someone else built [me].

I also find the diatribe to be tedious.

I get too much grief when I kill those "what if" stories that tend to lead to the most problems.

I have no clue how to fix it. Some of the "non doers" are fountains of information, others are fountains of manure. Not my job to chose which is which. Funny thing is that the most active stories are the "theory" posts. Nothing wrong with that but the hostility also follows those posts.

If it was up to me [it is not], I would require the "what if" stuff should go in diaries and hold the main board above that by only allowing posts from the doers in the crowd. But, what do we do with the questions? Some of those lead to the theory stuff.

We are slowly turning into the mess that Usenet has become. Not acceptable to call a turd a turd and everyone has the "right" to pollute the dialog with their theories.

If you find a solution, please pass it on.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:45:37 PM by TomW »

Nando

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 02:49:02 PM »
DAVEB:

I really like your stator, what is the voltage expected ?.

Nando

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:49:02 PM by Nando »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »
Nando,

Thanks for the comment. It is 145 winds each of #16 and the 40 magnets are 1 x 2 x 3/4 N42. 3 phase star and the stator is approx. 5/8" thick and I have been testing at slightly over 1" between magnet faces. Unloaded AC voltage is 35, 70, 105 @ 60, 120, 180, RPM respectively.

I'll be swinging an 18' diameter 3 blade set my friend carved on his machine as a Gottingen 222 profile, no twist no taper 6 1/4" wide blades. This is the same profile and width blade as were many of the old Winchargers. It should be interesting, I cannot find the TSR but by back figuring from old specs. of governing speeds etc. I am guessing in the range of TSR 6 or 7.

I plan to heat water direct, no batteries with a control circuit as simple as possible and to include over speed protection somehow in case of complete load loss. It will have the side furling set up for high winds but I know this won't help much if the load cuts loose. Here's a photo of the  laminated blades, the low res. photo does not do these blades justice, they are beautiful.  Dave B.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:19:21 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »
Great shots Hiker..

It was snowing earlier today , nothing on the ground though just a flurry..

i spoke too soon , when i posted my windmill up that day that it was in the 60's .

is that the sawblade windmill?

as for the Glacier , if it was advancing it would have been a lot colder the last twenty years or so.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:24:26 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:33:23 PM »
Hi Dave ya might want to taper the trailing edge a bit more , there will be a little less drag on the blades with a sharp edge

just my opinion
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:33:23 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »
Thanks, it's sharper than it looks. Low res. digital photos do some strange things.  Dave
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:39:47 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

harrie

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »
Yes Dave, some things are better not to be said!!!!!! Anyway, Ive been wondering how you were doing with your 18 foot, probley waiting for the weather to improve like I have been doing. I have been making good progress on my new tower for the 24 foot. Hope to have it flying sometime In may. Very nice looking blades with good profile. Keep in touch. Harrie
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:46:14 PM by harrie »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:22:09 AM »
Hello Dave B;

Currently in the realm of wind , I am a reader not doer.. can't, tried even getting past the city by using little VAWT's suggested by Ed-, no go says the city.

I do help in areas where I can, NiCd batteries, Alky & electronics is my realm.

Honestly I don't post most of the stuff I do as I believe it would be shot to death by some and then what would the use be?

Most of my stuff deals with unconventional doings, which is mixing battery types to keep them out of the dumpsters and to continue using the resources at hand. Kinda learned that from the original Mother E.N. mags..

I agree with what you have said, and at least once have emailed the "unpaid  watchers" to maybe step in to curtail the name calling..

It was the posts and the spirit of helping another that I kept reading from the old board and even 2 years past that which has me staying here. Like an inteligent person I portray in real life; I read the FAQs and how to use the board long before I posted anything.

I thought , or maybe read in the how-to-post somewhere, --- before I posted  ---

that each discussion had it's place and everything else belonged in the R&O or diary and it had been held that way for quite some time.. NOW? I  don't know what to say or type.. maybe we need to send more coffee to Tom or send nasty grams to 'em to get him back to his old self...

Gotta be hard to control 6000+ posters though.

Maybe it's the low amount of sun or lingering cold that's causing all the name calling and general grumpyness?

It would be nice if people would check their egos at the water cooler and get back to the spirit of helping that once was.

Thank you for putting this thought out there.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:22:09 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 01:54:51 AM »
hey willib...

yeah thats my sawblade mill 9and12 combo--jerry rigged...

throws out some good amps in a good brezze--had to shorten the blades somewhat

didnt really need all that power........

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 01:54:51 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

finnsawyer

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 09:14:08 AM »
Well, Dave, I suppose the hat I'm wearing these days is "theorist" as far as this forum is concerned.  If you want me to go I'll consider it, but in return I have a demand to make too; namely that you builders stop beating around the bush and start reporting everything about your projects so that others can ascertain whether what you did meets their needs and that they can duplicate it if they desire.  Pictures are nice, but a potential builder needs to know all the particulars of your project, such as the power output of the alternator, which you don't provide.  I guess we all fall short, eh?  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:14:08 AM by finnsawyer »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: Doing it or just talking / arguing about it ?I
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
Bruce,

You said it best. "It would be nice if people would check their egos at the water cooler and get back to the spirit of helping that once was." I am all for "discussion" and welcome being able to listen in or offer my own comments. It's too bad that people like yourself hesitate to post because some of the headliners out there are so anxious to show their insecurities by bashing other's hard work and creativity. We can all learn something from everyone. Thanks for your reply,  Dave B.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:47:37 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 10:35:53 AM »
No need to go anywhere, here you are in the right place. Plenty will discuss theory, physics, math etc. with you and this is a great thing that we can all learn something from. You shouldn't be offended by some of the builders that don't want to know why a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, they are just having way to much fun to care. Dave B.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:35:53 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »
Harrie,

I have been working on my hub lately when I get a chance and it's basically the last thing before tearing it all apart (in the basement) and putting it back together on the test tower. Speaking of weather, there is a good 1 1/2 feet of snow that came down yesterday here and it still has not stopped. Western NY lake effect at it's best, I was working in shorts and T shirt 2 days ago and was 77 degrees at dusk. I can't wait to get things together and let it spin, there will be photos then for sure. What type of tower are you building ? Do you have an idea of the total weight of your mill ? Not including the top post I figure I will be at about 220-240 lbs. complete. Those are awsome blades ! Dave B.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:35:44 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

finnsawyer

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 08:27:09 AM »
An maybe my idea of fun is a good get down rackus discussion of why things happen the way they do.  I don't think we're that far apart anyway.  Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:27:09 AM by finnsawyer »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »
Exactly. This is the place, enjoy.  Dave B.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 12:42:30 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

elvin1949

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 01:55:35 AM »
Hi Bruce S

Cabin Fever i think.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:55:35 AM by elvin1949 »