Author Topic: Isn't that amazing  (Read 286 times)

mukluk

Isn't that amazing
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
Wow,

We are all here to try and promote alternative energy and then in the newbie section

we have people trying to ask questions and get started in this great hobby and the questions go unanswered how is it that there will be any expansion in the alternative energy field for the DIY er like my self and many others. I think many of you veterans

could offer great support for the newcomers.

Just my thought sorry for the rant but I put this post in this section for the reason that it is wind. and that in the newbie section questions are regarding wind energy.

I am also sorry for this being my second post and I am complaining however This is just and observation that was made.

Steve

A valid point. What would you suggest be done to improve it? Most posts to "Newbies" are placed there by the poster. Not like we can force people to read and or respond to any posts in any section.

Seriously any ideas on how to improve things appreciated. TW

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 07:39:18 PM by (unknown) »

bob golding

Re: Isn't that amazing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »
hi,

dont know what your question was but before you go off ranting have te had a good look at the archives? i would say 90%/95% of newby questions have been answered at least a dozen times before. this could be why you havent had any replies. of course i apologise if your question isnt in the archives,its just that with well established newsgroups a lot of stuff gets recycled so people just dont bother answering the simple questions. dont take this as an insult to your intelligence and welcome to the group.

bob golding

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 02:55:08 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

stephent

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:29:13 PM »
    Not really amazing to me, most of the irate "you posted about 3x times less info then needed to make any assumption what so ever about what you want/need" seem to have died off due to  a influx of good manners or everyone being busy at something else.

A "I have this motor--what do I do next/need?" question is hard to answer since this whole wind power thing has been flying from the seat of the pants approach from the start. Rock hard designs using "I have these motors" are few....

You seem to have a set of blades that spin it close to a starting charge speed--use them and stick it up in the air--stick a bridge rectifier across the outputs or diode in series and see if it charges a 12 volt battery at some amperage in a fair breeze.

There's several hookup diagrams floating in this forum--search and read.

This conversion http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/stephent/conversion_flying_at_10_ft

is loosely based on using a conglomeration of 2 or 3 designs that were posted on this forum...it's a 7' prop, with furling tail using a 1 1/2hp conversion using neo's.

It works ok, but needs a tad larger prop--maybe nother 6" diameter or so. (Zubbly was right there). BUT it was all "here's some designs I can put together since there's NOT one for this exact size" approach that I did...most were well founded designs/thoughts/theory but I did have to do more then a little design on my own.

Measure YOUR own wind speed you have there, mine is probably different, and see what amps/volts vs wind speed you get out of it so you can tell (or ask) if it needs a bit more rpm or tsr or maybe more/less swept area.

Mostly all home built wind genny "advances" have been--"lemme see, maybe if I try this it will??"

There's a lot of applicable theory as to volts/amps/watts for motors--but the question  is--how does it do for a genny?? largely unknown until tried.

Try yours like you have it and post back and ask questions on improvements maybe needed.. Asking for forum members to design a workable wind genny system for you from a "I have these motors" approach usually gets your stated results.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 03:29:13 PM by stephent »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »
Yes, I agree with bob.  In no section do all questions get answered.  We have the 'newbies' section there largely for very redundant questions that have been covered many times, and many users - both new and old get in there and post good replies.   As with any section - some posts may get no reply.  If folks really insist that they get a reply... perhaps we should have a section where people can 'pay for consulting' or something ;-).  This is just a discussion forum  - there are no promises!  More often than not(but not every time) - if its a reasonable question then it will get replies..  for better or for worse!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 03:33:12 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

vawtman

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »
Hi Steve

Ive had many thoughts and ideas posts in the early days and still do but alot of times all it took is one comment to set me straight and loved that.Didnt dishearten me in the slightest.

Homework is the key nowadays.Lots of stuff here and some of mine will tell you what not to do.I try to help newbies when i can but im sorta one.

Mark

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 05:26:32 PM by vawtman »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »
Bob Golding

The "Newbies" section is not available in the "Everything" section or on the "Front Page". In order to View the Newbies Area you actually need to click the Newbies Link at the Top of Every page to see it.

This kinda makes it a remote area that is mildly hard to find, and not all regular users look in that area . . .

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:04:08 PM by wooferhound »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »
yes, that is a problem with that catagory.  We came up with it like it is in response to complaints about redundant postings - stuff that's been discussed here a lot in the past, and what some folks would consider to be very basic questions that might clutter up the rest of the board.  Some of postings in 'newbies' are postings that would've been moderated out before that area existed.  I'm sure that area gets a bit less traffic, but not much and it seems that most stories get pretty good replies.  

If somebody wants to veiw all the catagories a good place to go is 'recent activity'.  It's tricky stuff - it's impossible to make this all the people all the time, but I prefered the idea of 'newbies' to having stories getting moderated out.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:29:10 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

FreeBreeze

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 08:19:47 AM »
Unless you ask about pump controllers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:19:47 AM by FreeBreeze »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Isn't that amazing [Yes, you are]
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:47:57 AM »
freebreeze;

I might point out that attitude factors in here a good bit, also.

You seem to be under the impression that you are "owed" or have some "right" to an answer. With the group here being mostly intelligent, motivated and generous people with little free time for wasting online that attitude can make or break a question.

It doesn't even matter if that is your actual attitude because all we see is your words and must judge from that alone. Snide, smartass comments will turn many helpful folks away.

As far as you are concerned, I, personally, have decided I would not waste time helping you on the pump thing if I had the answer [I don't]. I am responding to you now as an so that others may learn some online manners and strategies for extracting assistance online.

I knew this would happen and that is why I killed the first 3 instances of that post that has ended up causing wasted time in this bitch post and you still did not get an answer because rather than answer questions on that post about your system you wasted your time and ours complaining about it here in a totally off topic thread you started. Is this starting to clear things up a little?

Just my personal opinion.

If I offend you maybe you should pop into IRC and we can discuss it one on one. I am in and out there but others can let you know when I am around.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:47:57 AM by TomW »

FreeBreeze

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
Snide, smartass comments will turn many new folks away as well.Goodbye.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:16:38 PM by FreeBreeze »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »
Ouch, please don't go.. But if you must, don't let the door hit you in the rump on the way out.

>CLICK<

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 07:17:28 PM by TomW »