Author Topic: Picture size  (Read 277 times)

Jeff

Picture size
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:33:23 PM »
I'm sorry to have to post this, but some people STILL don't pay attention to the photo size limits of 640 x 480. I do realize some people may not have the software to resize their photos, but I haven't seen ANY software that comes with a camera that can be connected to a computer NOT have resizing capabilities.

A posting I was VERY interested in had photos sized 1280 x 960.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/11/15/113513/28

I tried to reply to this effect in that post, but due to the over-size photos, my connection was too slow and I gave up on that also.

I had to change the repeat rate on my keyboard just so I could scroll left to right to be able to read everything. I finally got tired of having to scroll left-to-right, then back again, and quit reading the posting which seemed like a wonderful machine and great work!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:33:23 PM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Picture size
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:15:38 PM »
loaded up just fine on my pc-win98-56k modem -pictures are well within the limits..

you should try the firefox browser or mozilla..they resize the pict. auto....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:15:38 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
only the one picture was oversized when i check a story for oversize pictures i don't usually check every picture just 1 or 2 at random in a story that has allot of pictures i missed the oversized one. i don't use IE so therefor an oversize picture does not distort my screen and cause me all sorts of problems that it does an IE user therefor i have to look for them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:36:39 PM by kurt »

Airstream

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
I get the same thing - folks put a stack of photos up then for me to view the post all I see is x minutes of black lines and quivering text dripping down the page as EVERY photo tries to load at once. I sure enjoyed having them load one at a time so I could scan the text and one photo, jump to next window and read, then skip back to enjoy another photo... but no, not now, it's still loading four photos line by line all at once so all one sees is the top parts of photos. Any more I walk away from the PC and let them do what they want to without me having to watch it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:14:09 PM by Airstream »

kurt

• website
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 07:42:04 PM »
Firefox used to load the text first then the pictures so you could at least read the story while the pictures were loading.... did they break that feature in later releases?? been a long time since i been on dialup.....  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:42:04 PM by kurt »

independent

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:50 PM »
It relates to this, but is slightly OT.

I've recently had to use a severly limited bandwidth cellphone connection. 10MB for the day. It's what some people have to do to stay financially sustainable (hehe) in countries where the telecommunications industry has virtually had a monopoly for many decades (even privatised as so)! I choose not to give my money to these people and have tried using this really high latency, low bandwidth, setup. It worked really well and I don't mind the severe bandwidth restriction.

During this process I've used alot of tools to get firefox to stop gorging itself on the data, this has meant not loading images or stopping scripts.. And a couple of other things.

Sometimes, I use links-browser (text only terminal-based browser). And (the poll of the backend of this site comes to mind) I was pleasantly surprised how well this CMS worked with links-browser. The file size limitation is a real blessing too IMO, because if I want to surf with images, fieldlines is one place I can go to and know that after a few look-arounds I wont have eaten up 5MB in 3 minutes.

For those reasons I am really glad the backend to this site didn't change from Scoop. For people like us these things really matter and for people on dialup it is really nice too.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:59:50 PM by independent »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:55:26 AM »
Probably two issues here.

When I used IE the large pictures drove me crazy having to scroll all over the place to read the text.

Otherwise the issue is more of file size than picture size. A whopping big Gif of a drawing may only be 5k and will load very quickly.  Tiny uncompressed jpg could take longer than a big well compressed one.

With a modern digital camera you really need some means of compressing files for any internet use. The screen resolution is just not good enough to waste space transmitting 10meg files.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:55:26 AM by Flux »

kurt

• website
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 04:15:49 PM »
that is why we have both a max pixel size rule and a max file size rule here because people can make a picture 640 x 480 and still have a huge file size that is a problem for dialup users and also people can make 50kb files that are 1000 pixels wide and drive IE users crazy. therefore we have rules for both file size and pixel size and if everyone sticks to the rules things work out pretty well for everyone.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:15:49 PM by kurt »