Author Topic: "Doers" - Don't be discouraged  (Read 345 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
"Doers" - Don't be discouraged
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »
 This board is a tremendous resource of information. I wish there was an easy way to weed through the been there done that helpful suggestions and ideas as opposed to the assumed direction and rules given by some who do not build.

Not to say that those relaying known formulas and proven concepts is not important because it is and can be most helpful. But, to those who do not build and are so insecure that they have to be negative first of others's projects and ideas I see it as very sad.

We have seen many times that what some think should happen does not and vice versa, I solute those who are not discouraged by the "armchair quarterbacks" telling them (not suggesting by experience) what not to do or why did you do it this way or what were you thinking etc.

Those of us who have been a member of this board for years pretty much accept each other's personalities and know who walks the walk not just talks the talk. To the newbies you might want to check the diaries and user information on some who contribute, this might be helpful as to credibility and help keep you from being distracted.

Keep posting your projects, successes and failures as it is in this spirit that the board was originally created and allows us all to continue to learn from each other.  Dave B.    

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:49:03 PM by (unknown) »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

tanner0441

Re: "Doers" - Don't be discouraged
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:47:51 PM »
Hi

I have only been on here a few months, I have had what could be called the negative remarks, some of which were safety issues, like wooden hubs, and trying to rewire car alternators, advice on blades and speed needed.  Through the summer I had many failures, I did not become discouraged, frustrated and annoyed yes.  I have an electrical and electronic background and could not understand why I could not make a magnet go past a coil and not induce a voltage into it.

I then went out and bought a cheap 12V 200W kit, put it up and it worked. That proved to me it was what I was doing that was wrong, so were they negative comments or advice.

I have learned a lot on here and been reminded of things I should have remembered.

One thing I have learned is I am never going to be grid free, but it makes a very satisfying and productive hobby the first time you switch the inverter on and see your house light up from the batteries.  It has also renewed my intention to build my own alternator.

Learn from the mistakes, put a plaster on the blisters, and rub the bruises, then, try again.

Brian

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:47:51 PM by tanner0441 »

scottsAI

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 11:06:53 PM »
Dave B,

Your comments can equally be applied to the doers.

Over the last several years I see as much bad advice from the doers.

Many repeat the same rhetoric of those before them, without understanding.

Advice I gave my Kids, beware who you listen to. Learn from those that have achieved what you want. Unfortunately often I can't find such a person. At this point I must become, by learning. Doing is a noble thing. Yet, because you copied another design does not make you a designer, nor a theorist. It does make you a builder.

When I first came here it was evident the theory was lacking. If something does not compute to me then the theory is wrong. Yes, understood my a few, not the many, the complete story was NOT right. I do acknowledge many do not want to know, they are happy with a wind turbine supplying their power and do not care how or why. Nothing wrong with that. I could not build a wind turbine without knowing everything about it. That is just the way I am.

Over the years I helped others design and build a solar MPPT, charge controller, load dump many others things in my over 800 postings. Would this be a better place without me?

OK, enjoy your rant, hope you had a nice holiday!

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:06:53 PM by scottsAI »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:00:43 AM »
  Every once in a while I just have to vent some frustration with the negative attacks I read from a few insecure souls out there. Some people have little or no tact and are lurking out there just waiting to feed their own egos by slamming negative comments at someone's proudly displayed project and accomplishments.

I realize some just can't help it, like yelling at their child only for tracking dirt into the house as he runs into the house proudly displaying an "A" on his report card, it is sad. I just wish that some would think and look before they leap realizing that we all walk before we run.

To the teachers out there on this board who understand this I say thank you and to the project builders I say bring it on, show us your stuff as we all share and learn from each other.  Dave B.  

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:00:43 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

mbohuntr

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 10:53:30 AM »
I have to Agree! I am finding that although I have some education in electronics, and understand the language, I am that little kid running through the house waving my very simple project! and, I"m really enjoying it! Thanks to all those who are helping me, and for the patience!!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:53:30 AM by mbohuntr »