Author Topic: discusion board  (Read 326 times)

schwinn

discusion board
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »
I joined thinking it was a DISCUSION board but found out it is look it up  your self board

I read many post and did NOT find the info i was looking for

I realize my question was not spacific enough   becouse your such sticklers

so maybe you will post  it

I am wanting to know what motors like the ametek motor  not fluk they used

wanting to know what they got it out of  and what kind of power it put out

you have many post  with diffrent things they  use but not how they  got them or what it came  from  lighten up
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:27:07 PM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: discusion board
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:45:55 AM »
This should help you

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_experiments_tapedrivemotors.html

You also need to go to the rest of the OtherPower site and read as much information there as you can.

http://www.otherpower.com/

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:45:55 AM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:53:52 AM »
Plus ,  when you do your searches try the following Keywords

Tape Drive Motor

TDM

Permanent Magnet Motor
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:53:52 AM by wooferhound »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
Plus!! it really doesn't help asking for help, when the first thing you do, is put the board and free help down.

We're only "sticklers" cause we don't like giving out wrong or worse information that could end up hurting some one.

easy question to ask are what you're looking for and what you wuld like to do with it.

'bout that easy

Lighten yourself , name calling begets name calling

dude

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:16:49 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:17:02 AM »
schwinn;

It is, indeed, a discussion board.

Its not a bottle feeding station.

There is a difference, you know.

In that post you asked:

I am also interested in making my own generator windings and all anyone have a good site that shows detailed ways of doing it?

I provided that and a good set of help documents to get you started in the note on that post.

What did you expect?

Everything you need is here and that document helps you use the resource to best advantage.

So there you have it. Go read that document and you will understand how to post on a forum and get results. Or not.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:17:02 AM by TomW »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
Sorry TomW;

This post got my goat.

I REALLY don't like it when someone start out by nagging about the forum. ONE OF THESE DAYS the Dan's are gonna get tired of it too and this whole thing will go bye-bye.

I'll go have a hot coco and cool down now;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:34:56 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:31 AM »
Yes I just looked back at the original question.

I have answered something similar in another post. He is complaining about the increasing price of amtec motors.

The real truth is that any reasonable quality servomotor is a precision and expensive piece of kit.It would not be the sort of thing that you would go out to buy for a wind generator. Because they are old devices and their original purpose has faded they are now effectively scrap and have nothing other than scrap value. Those fortunate enough to catch on to this early enough snapped them up for scrap price. It doesn't seem surprising that with the popularity of ebay, people have found that fools are prepared to pay serious money for a scrap item, just the way of life.

There is an increasing number of people seeking a free ride or so they think and they just need spoon feeding to make this a reality for them.

In reality the little amtecs and similar make nice little wind generators for small remote installations requiring the convenience of a little electrical power but not really needing a great lot. They may also be a good starting point for newcomers to get their feet wet and learn about building blades and constructing things. If you are willing to scrounge parts including batteries then it may even save you a few pence even if you are on the grid.

Unless you scrounge everything then there is no saving and it will never cover the cost of batteries so there is no hope if your servomotor comes at true cost.

If you are grid connected then to save money you need serious investment in larger turbines, batteries will not be justifiable unless you get frequent power cuts, grid tie inverters are costly and you need a reasonable size installation in a good wind area to get payback in a reasonable time. If you have to buy the turbine at full cost from a manufacturer then anything under 30ft may never pay for itself. With self build this may bring it into the realms of 10 to 12ft.

For those who can make good use of heating then again things above 10ft may pay off.

By all means have fun that is mainly the point of this. If you are on grid and want to keep it small then don't expect to save anything unless you are shrewd enough to find good bargains. Don't blame the entrepreneurs that make a few bucks from your desire for a free ride.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:06:31 AM by Flux »

coldspot

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »
schwinn-

Hello, Welcome.

Please try to understand what you want and are asking.

This forum is "THE" forum!

The "Holy Grail" of R.E., research and real people living the R. E. life. This isn't a bunch of kids hanging in the basement sucking up Ma n Pa's power.

We all are trying or for real making our own.

And it isn't easy or cheap, it is what we want and do. The research isn't that hard to do using the search buttons and reading what has been done and what worked and or didn't work is the sharing of information that we do here.

When researching posts, if you something interesting by somebody, check their posts and diary.

"Ametek"

Thats a "TDM", tape drive motor

DC motors when turned make power, when given power, will turn, if a few limits are met.

You want a Ametek but don't like the E-gay prices, well, I found one locally the first day I was out,(leaving the computer and home), looking around and buying my first stuff for R E. And yes I've bought a few that aren't any good for this use.

The basics:

DC motor, over your battery bank voltage, (12,24 or 48)

LOW RPM, to be able to be direct drive by wind power. (less than 500 rpm)

Large, so it will make enough power to be helpfull

When you are looking at one, finger spin the shaft, it should turn freely and then short the wires together and it shouldn't turn freely then. That test will help you know if it will make power or just look good in the wind.

I've made stuff from bike motors, garbage disposals and even from parted out electronics, (VCR's copy machines ect).

Remember that we try to play nice and that you should also!

$0.02

:)  

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:19:50 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

terry5732

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
It seems to me that the complainer has a spelling problem, thus hindering his ability to search. Search engines can't read your mind. I've known some great machinists and mechanics who couldn't spell their own name. But the poor spelling I've seen recently is inexcusable. Go back to grade school and pay attention.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:08:54 PM by terry5732 »

OneToRemember

• Richard
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 05:59:51 AM »
Funny how people moan about free help, like they are complaining to the Govt. Same thing on my site , i give a away some plans to help people get going then they moan cos they can't find all the parts in the local store next to sugar and bread.

Guess this is wat life is all about!

Nice site by the way. Now I have foind something to do during my lunch break

regards to you all..

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:59:51 AM by OneToRemember »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 07:08:25 AM »
OTR;

Nice to see someone with clarity of vision.

An old adage is "Something given has no value" and it seems the philosophy of many in this fast food, drive thru world we have created.

Thanks for the comment.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:08:25 AM by TomW »

feral air

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
your absolutly write peeps cant spell no more and grammer is atroshious these dayz with no commas capitals or nething else it helps a lot to have difrent sentances run to gether to so u cant tell were one begins and the next ends and then their is the lack of paragrafs that make it impossible to reed wat they right neway

Surprisingly enough, that was the most difficult thing I've done all week. Ow. ;)

take it easy

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:41:38 PM by feral air »

elvin1949

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »
feral air

You could hurt yourself doing that.

HAHA

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:21:28 PM by elvin1949 »

schwinn

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »
sure did get alot of discusion and some good advice

thats all i was looking for

Sorry  I didnt mean to rag on your site

just the way you go about telling people what to do I feel is rude I  get the impression your looking down your noses becouse you know more than others.  others I have talked to on other site have felt the same from  you and others luv you

opinion attitude ? you didnt make a good first impression

take care  
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:39:09 PM by schwinn »

schwinn

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 05:45:25 PM »
and the comments about my grammer  is exactly what i am talking about

keep your nose up  soon it will rain
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:45:25 PM by schwinn »

litespeed

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 07:55:33 PM »
I can see where Schwinn would be a little upset with the board. In his first post he was just looking for a little help. Then he was set off to search and then his thread was locked.

So, he did not know how to look? You might has well have poked his eyes out with a poker when you locked the thread. Weird. I have been too and visited a lot of forums. I have never seen this before. And even though "Your" rules are "very specific"... I think some are ridiculous. IMO.

Even something like... We think those PMG motors are a waste of time... Build you own, Might have been better?

Ok... When I started to get into all of this renewable energy stuff last year I started searching and searching. It was hard to find data on exactly what I was looking for. And even then... I did not really know what that was? I spent literally days of my time on this site and others reading about wind power, axial flux alternators, batteries, you name it.

After 8 months I am finally building what I call a hobby system using an old PMG motor. Most of the info. I found was not on this site. I really wanted to go all out and build an axial flux. But my work and the amount of time at my disposal are very limited. In his case it could be even more limited? Who knows?

Anyway... This is a "RANT" and "OPINION" area. So here is mine! Lighten up! Get over it and move on.

Oh.... I voted against Scoop! It is archaic... (will I get demerits for posting that here?)LOL!;)

AJ

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 07:55:33 PM by litespeed »