Author Topic: need new linux based software  (Read 521 times)

phil b

need new linux based software
« on: February 21, 2008, 01:51:19 AM »
I am going to totally get away from wINDOS software on the internet and I'm asking for advice on what the members of this board are using. I am ready to try a Linux OS that's easy to use and I need a browser and email. I had 14 (and counting) viruses of some kind today. Fortunately, this is the first time in over 10 years this system has caught them... that's with Swim-matic's anti virus program that was updated last Friday,BTW. Enough is too much. Please tell me what system you prefer and where to get it.

Thanks,

Phil
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:51:19 AM by (unknown) »
Phil

commanda

Re: need new linux based software
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »
Most people recommend Ubuntu. Been working for me for years now.

Amanda

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:06:53 PM by commanda »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »
kubuntu http://www.kubuntu.org/ or ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/  depending on whether you prefer a kde desktop environment or a gnome environment i would suggest downloading the live cd of each and trying them out see what you like before installing one of them....  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:11:06 PM by kurt »

zeusmorg

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »
 My preference is PCLinuxOS, mainly due to ease of use. There's also a good forum that will help you out.

Download from: http://www.pclinuxos.com/ or if you prefer a torrent, http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrents&category=262 you want PCLinuxOS 2007 final.

The install will take about 30-45 minutes depending on your computer, then you need to update.

This will install probably way more programs than you'll ever use, and only take 4gb

install space comes with Firefox browser, thunderbird for e-mail. also plenty of other good apps. like K3b for disk burning, and all the programs most people will ever need.

You can also add extra programs through synaptic package manager, nice to only have to go to one location to update, instead of hitting 20...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:43:32 PM by zeusmorg »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »
Hi Phil b,

I have used Suse10.1, Ubantu, Kabuntu, and several others (thanks to Ron).

Suse was ok, but the permissions seemed to have a mind of their own when it came to writing to windows partitions. But has all the bells and whistles.... unloaded it.

Ubantu and Kabantu were good but a little klunky with respect to windows opening up in low resolution (I wanted 1024 768 in the windows, and for the life of me couldn't get them to open in anything other than 640)..... unloaded them.

Mint linux is similar (based on Ubantu I think, and had similar windowing problems for ME... (I'm probably not smart enough to fix this but it bugged me).... so out it went.

I settled for Mandriva spring 2007. This one is most like windows in it's behaviour, and importantly for me had the drivers in the kernel for my pcmcia card to get on the internet. (some weeks tweaking it to get it to function though, but it turned out simple... once again I was part of the problem.) It accesses the windows partitions read and write straight from the install, and the partitioning wizard made disk setup easier. It performs a touch slower on my Compaq laptop than windows, but is an excellent system for me.

Be warned, some distro's have difficulty with winmodems. Xandros is the only one I have used that ran my old winmodem straight out of the box, but there are work arounds available.

Brand new usb printers may have a problem if they are not supported right now, but a driver is usually available somewhere on the net. Happily, Samsung are providing linux drivers that self install for linux, and I have no doubt that others are too. (new usb color laser I have is Samsung)

Whatever you choose, try and have fun, but there will be some trying times when you want to do something that is not directly supported from the setup disks..... but help is always available on the web..... some very smart helpful people out there.

The shift will likely be seamless if you only want browsing and email (firefox and thunderbird for me), but I enjoy the lack of virus and associated antivirus programs running my computer for me. I use it for everything except Protel circuit board program, and DVD burning. (K3B has trouble with my drive.)

have fun

.......oztules

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:05:53 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

commanda

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »
I use it for everything except Protel circuit board program

The dos version runs under dosemu.

Amanda

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:02:21 PM by commanda »

MattM

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »
You really cannot go wrong with the major distributions.  It is easy to find books on Madriva, Red Hat/Fedora, Debian/LibraNet and SuSE.  Linux is a catchy phrase but there are other free OS'es out there that are relatively the same unix-like structures; BSD, Plan 9, OpenBeOS/Haiku, and Solaris.

Keep yourself abreast of these free OS'es:  http://www.osnews.com/

Tips on using Linux/BSD:  http://www.freeos.com/

All you need to know about Linux:  http://www.linux.org/

Quick links to Linux distributions:  http://www.theosfiles.com/general/osf_free_oses.htm

http://osdir.com/Downloads.phtml

There are several not free distributions that are worthwhile, too.  LindowsOS/Linspire 6.0 is a good example.  Made for a newb.  Has tools to copy stuff off an old Windows partition.  Perfect for your situation.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:02:40 PM by MattM »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »
Well there you go Phil b

".... but help is always available on the web..... some very smart helpful people out there."

it's true as you can see.......... :)

........oztules

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:11:03 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:12:52 AM »
If you will go for 'linux'.

All the major distributions are probably OK.

People are mostly recommending the thing they know the best. After started with RedHat and Suse I've been using Debian GNU/linux more than ten years. Many other distributions are based on that, including 'Ubuntu'.

With distros like Ubuntu the 'advantage' is that

you will get more recent software

than with the standard Debian.

The disadvantage is that there are more problems.

Debian developers have got the habit

to test the distro rather well,

before it is released as 'stable';

'unstable' and 'testing' in general contain most of the latest software,

which other distributions based on Debian like Ubuntu,

are including in their releases.

All computer softwares are now suffering of

those problems that they are released too early,

and users are expected to report about problems and needed fixings.

If the number of developers is large,

they will sort out the problems very quickly,

but you need to update regularly and

need good internet connections to do it.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:12:52 AM by hvirtane »

MattM

I cannot find a listing for "Swim-matic"
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:00:43 AM »
Are you sure the virus you picked up wasn't the Anti Virus itself?  People are getting pharmed and phished to death these days by software scams.  Be sure to educate yourself on "pharming" and "phishing" schemes to help protect you in the future, because Linux is not scam proof.  The ultimate protection from these malwares is between the keyboard and the seat... the person.

We used to call these I-D-ten-T errors.  Don't take it too harshly if you were scammed.  Everyone has to learn sometime; some people just learn harder than others.  We all get our best lessons from the school of hard knocks.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:00:43 AM by MattM »

phil b

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 07:23:28 AM »
Thanks for all the responses so far. They are appreciated!

Matt - the swim-matic is a pun on Symantec, specifically aimed at their web weekly updatable virus software. It didn't do any good after the devil was unleashed.

I clicked on the "X" in the upper right hand corner to close an install box on you-tube and that DID install the program. Can't trust the X's any more. :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:23:28 AM by phil b »
Phil

stephent

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »
Yeah...that "famous" X is indeed just a preprogrammed box to do a function.

Normally it's the close box......but certainly doesn't have to do that function.

Turning off "install from internet" option in IE will go a ways to help with this kind of problem.....but there are other ways to get the dastardly deed done other then the "X" (close) box.

I use Fedora 8 here and the KDE desktop...it's very good for what I need.

And I am more familiar with the RedHat type distro too....it fits me.

The Live CD's can be a lot of help in finding the distro that fits you and your hardware.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:55:07 AM by stephent »

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 09:14:55 AM »
I just installed the 64bit version of Kubuntu Gusty.

I have a discussion in my diary

I love it.

I am using it for all kinds of stuff like working on the animated gif in my signature
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:14:55 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

asheets

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 09:26:21 AM »
I work with SuSE Enterprise on a daily basis, and I like it because there are lots of software repositories on the Internet for Yast@ to update from.  There also seems to be a good collection of 1-wire software and other goodies for the DIY RE types to use on this platform.  3-4 CDs or 1 DVD.

I have equipment running Knoppix and Ubuntu at home (Knoppix runs my web server), though I find using YuM to update packages to be a bit of a pain.  1 CD does the full install.  You might find the LiveCD versions useful for rescuing your Windows box and/or the data that is on it -- NTFS and FAT emulation seems to work better on these versions than on others.  I also like them because I can get my USB wireless NICs to work reliably.

If you google a couple of previous posts, there is a poster that has come up with a linux kernel that is good about powersaving.  

If you want to try to save your Windows box, get a current copy of the LinuxDefender Live! CD.  Or install AVG AntiVirus or CLAM Antivirus for Windows (both are free and work reliably)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:26:21 AM by asheets »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 10:18:05 AM »
Phil b

I quit using Swin-matic as a personal antivi- a couple years ago, when it couldn't fix a known virus on a office work box.

I use AVG and ccleaner on home boxes that have software on them that isn't available for Linux <yet>, Namely daughter's school online stuff .

I personally use serveral different distros for different jobs.

I have LOAF < Linux on a floppy> for a DMZ and firewall. I use GNU for my server since it is the best for a old quad processor 200MHZ pentium pro server, I let it run its core so it would be optimized for the specific machine.

I also use PCLinos on a laptop, it has been the easiet to load on an older 1.3ghz processor, and has been able to see all the different flash drives I've plugged into it.

Mephis is my favorite for desk top machines, they're updater is nice too.

If you really would like trying to save the XP load, try pulling down the AVG free version along with ccleaner , uninstall ??-mantic , then use ccleaner to kill ALL of its registry links, install AVG and let both AVG and ccleaner fix the problems.

For me , when people show up with laptop in hand asking why xxx is popping up? These are what I use to clean those while they go buy a 30 pack.:-)

I may be easy, but I'm not cheap :-)

Hope that helps

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:18:05 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »
phil,

Having been a software developer for over 30 years now, I have used various flavors of linux since the early 90's, now days it is quite durable and with graphic interface quite easy to setup and use.

There are a couple of questions that you should ask your self:

1. what compatibility do you need  with your old windows files?  .doc, .xls etc. can be handled the Sun open office software, but other file types may not be as easy.to acquire software to work with your older files.
  2. what level of support do you need?
  3. how is the software updated?

If you decide to go to linux there are many flavors available, some easier to install/configure than others.  When RedHat had free distributions it was great, but now Fedora has replaced this, many other distributions also available.

Typically the distribution decides on how the software is updated as well, so choose carefully or switch before you get too much time invested.

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:54:49 AM by dlenox »

asheets

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »
Glad to hear that somebody other than me still uses quad PPros. :)

30 packs?  I'm hoping that those are CDs or DVDs, and not beers ;)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:29:52 PM by asheets »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »
 Hello Asheets:-)

Mine's a HP 6 200Pro. tons of drive space, even still has the original SCSI cd-rom.

ALL 3 power supplies sound like a small jet taking off, but once up and running it just sings. Mostly now for hosting Distro mirroring.

Wife found it at a resale shop for $25.00$ :-) complete NT4 install CDs and all.

AND yes that was beer, CDs are too easy to come by:-)DVD are too tempting.

Lite beer of course :-)

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:24:54 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

MattM

See how your Anti-Virus rates here on the List
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »
Avira has a free version and works well, too.  Just a nag screen each morning to click off.  You can remove the nag if you follow the link:  http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

Avira aka Anti-Vir Download:  http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

AVG used to be my favourite but it had a few bugs that made me switch to Avira, plus Avira was rated to cover 10% more malware at the time of the switch.

AVG download:  http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/

avast! 4 Home Edition is another one that often gets recommended.  I have no experience with it but I've known people that swear by it.

avast! 4 Download:  http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

NOD32 is one that I used in the past, but its only listed as a 30-day free trial.  Not sure where it stands now.  Seems like after 30 days it keeps working anyhow.

NOD32 Download:  http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

You can always see how your anti-virus rates here:  http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Today's list:

3 STARS (BEST)

ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 2.70.39

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.0

2 STARS (ADVANCED)

AVG Anti-Malware 7.5

G DATA AntiVirusKit (AVK) 17.0

avast! Professional Edition 4.7

McAfee VirusScan 11.2

Microsoft OneCare 1.6

Norman Virus Control 5.91

Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 14.0

1 STARS (STANDARD)

AVIRA AntiVir Personal Edition Premium 7.04

BitDefender Professional Plus 10

Dr.Web for Windows 4.44.1

eScan Anti-Virus 9.0

F-Prot for Windows 6.0.7.1

F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.01

TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 1.4.2

0 STARS (NO CERTIFICATION)

Fortinet FortiClient 3.0

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:35:20 PM by MattM »

zeusmorg

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 07:55:34 PM »
  Some of your comments about SUSE are exactly why i quit using it. Why do you need 5 cd's or one dvd for an install? Download time on that is just way too long for most users.

Most people don't want ALL the software that is available in a distro, there's just way too much of it. With a good repository, you can just have a distro install the essentials, and then add the software from that,which is what i do.

I've installed PCLinuxOS on about 120 machines now, and for most people that are new to Linux it just seems much more friendly and well laid out. I left SUSE because the thing became way too clunky (not to mention their "deal" with MS) and I never did like YAST/YUM, I prefer synaptic for updates and adding/removing programs.

Also, PCLinuxOS is a live CD which you can install from, so you can test drive it first. Just remember running from CD is slower.

Going into all the things that each individual distro  has or does is rather stupid,  because you can customize Linux just about any way you see fit. Replace the Kernel,add or remove software, change desktops, change graphic interface, anything. So I see the major differences in ease of install and how it works out of the box.

Any functionality you need after the install can be added.

(I also think it's funny how many "new ideas" in Vista have been around for years in Linux)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:55:34 PM by zeusmorg »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 03:05:13 AM »
I agree with the comment that with 'linux' distros

the important thing is how it works out of the box.

You can later install almost any kind of software and customize.

Nowadays I'm regularly testing the machine before

the installation using 'Knoppix'.

Knoppix is a distro based on Debian,

which works from a live cd without installation.

If it works all OK, then I will install

the real Debian from a Debian cd.

Debian installation is nowadays really easy.

The first cd of Debian contains very little

and the rest can be get from the Net.

If you want to work directly from a cd,

I would recommend 'damn small linux',

which is based on Knoppix.

Knoppix needs a lot of Ram to work well.

My own desk machine is made of old parts by myself.

350 MHz AMD cpu, 40 giga hd.

Running Debian GNU/linux.

This text is written using a HP laptop,

running the same operating system.  

- Hannu

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:05:13 AM by hvirtane »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 03:41:29 AM »
Hi,

I've been very happy with my Ubuntu (ie Debian-based) Web-facing server at home (I have different varieties of Linux in use in other servers) but I did not install it myself.

I do like apt-get for updates, and I was able to smuggle in a newer kernel for some extra energy-saving goodness without changing anything else.  In the end it was relatively easy and painless considering how horrible it could have been.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:41:29 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

asheets

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »
I personally use a mini-cd netinstall to do my SuSE work.  I can see where it would be a turnoff for some to have so much cruft, but not knowing what the OP wanted in the first place let me to give a general recommendation.  And, I do use SuSE every day.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:59:24 AM by asheets »

phil b

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
Once again, thank all of you very much for the comments and guidance. Since my last posting, I've downloaded over 3 gigs of new programs to try.

Ccleaner caught several troubled files and AVG caught 40, yes, 40 trojan executable files! All from one little slip up.

Afterwards, explorer would not load. I reloaded xp to get my files. Now I will checkout Linux OS's on CD. Three to try tonight.

I realize this board is primarily meant for alternative energy, but I've learned it's also a place to get help when you really need it.

I too, will give back as much as possible. My next generator (iron genny's big brother) should be done in July and I will post it here.

Thanks,

Phil

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:24:29 PM by phil b »
Phil

DingBat

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 07:29:07 AM »
For windows, I generally deploy ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/. ClamWin doesn't do on-open or op-execute scanning.

WinPooch will do that, but I've only deployed that on one or two machines to test with so far. http://winpooch.free.fr/page/home.php?lang=en&page=home

-- DingBat

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:29:07 AM by DingBat »