Author Topic: IRC CHAT  (Read 233 times)

jacquesm

IRC CHAT
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »
IRC SERVER STILL DOWN

Hello folks,

the IRC server is still broken, to make a long story short, don't trust raid 5 with 'sata' drives :(

The people in amsterdam where the server is hosted have just finished rebuilding the machine and we're about ready to test the new system. Apologies for the terrible delay, but I was abroad which did not help things. We tried for 5 days to get the server repaired without a full re-install but in the end that did not help.

Apologies for the inconvenience. TW you should be able to log in to the new server now

to rebuild the IRC software.

Jacques

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:14:33 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: IRC CHAT
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
RAID 5 should be fine with SATA drives... I know many people who have used it for 5+ years with no issues... If only one drive failed, replace it, get the RAID controller to rebuild the array and et viola, back online. If you were unlucky enough to have two drive failures in one go perhaps you should consider RAID6 (two drives can fail on this setup).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:04:45 AM by AbyssUnderground »

jacquesm

Re: IRC CHAT
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »
the problem seems to be that the drive array had one drive fail, never even mentioned anything in logs or such... then another drive failed and that was all she wrote.

Apparently the driver software that comes with that sata raid controller is less than perfect.

Normally I use scsi, this time I chose sata because the drives are cheaper and I did not need the performance.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:10:26 PM by jacquesm »