Product Reviews > Reviews

a use for all that plastic waste

(1/3) > >>

bob golding:
came across this chap talking on the radio yesterday. i wonder if this would work on a small scale. his credentials seem ok, unlike the usual scam artists trying to sell this sort of stuff. i seem to remember it coming up a couple of years ago,where you put any old rubbish ,dead dogs, old diapers in and oil flowed out out the other end like magic. this sounds much more believeable since plasticc is made from oil in the first place. sounds good to me.
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnlin

e&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED22%20Jun%202008%2017%3A03%3A21%3A867
i am sure there is a way to make the link shorter but i am only just getting to grips with vista at the moment.
cheers

bob golding

Chagrin:
Awesome. We can drill for oil, turn it into plastic, then convert the plastic into oil at a fraction of the cost ($46/barrel) of oil!

DamonHD:
As ever, the journo mangled the science: 3MWp or 3MWh/y electricity equivalent power-plant?  I hope the former, since my tiny grid-tie PV will manage about 1MWh/year!
Anyway pyrolysis is a reasonable approach.  I hope it works for him.
Rgds
Damon

bob golding:
hi damon,

yes i was wondering about that as well. some figures on energy density of the finished product would be helpful. chagrin i think the plastic is already available,no need to drill for it;-))

wooferhound:
We would have to drill, and mine the plastic out of the landfills . . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version