Author Topic: Bergey 1Kw versus Chinese variants??  (Read 386 times)

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Bergey 1Kw versus Chinese variants??
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »
Hello all.

Has anyone had experience with the performance/longevity perfomance differences with the Bergey XL.1 (The 1kw turbine), and what I assume are the the Chinese copies flooding the market?

http://www.bergey.com/ Sorry you will have to navigate to the model mentioned, their website isn't as good as it could be.

The import distance to me here in the U.K is similar from China, and I was quoted $400 from bergey in the U.S to import one, but the unit price is well over double, even with the favourable U.K to U.S exchange rates at the moment.

I suspect the Bergey is much better built, but having recently tested a Chinese 500w turbine, I was not at all disappointed over a 2 month period of average winds,

N.B

Not DIY related TomW/Kurt - but certainly of interest I suspect to most folks on a budget.

Ben.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:57:57 PM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: Bergey 1Kw versus Chinese variants??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
The Bergey is actually manufactured in China. Its not a bad machine. Very quiet for what it is. It bugs me that they dont come out with a 48v version. Its currently only available in 24v.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:14:00 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »
i recently had the opportunity to see a chinese 500watt machine new and on the floor

the generator looks quite good to me and adequately built for the blade diameter

it looks pretty good for the money.

the hub looks good as well, and very well made, taper set on the shaft of the generator.

the blades look like they will probably work, but

there is very little if any twist and i would have liked to see more camber in them as well. being fiberglass there is really no reason that both twist and camber could be done easily,,

i guess for the first effort not bad, maybe the next generations will be better?

if i recall it was a 48volt version, and is 3 phase btw.

having never seen the bergey i have no idea how this unit would compare.

next time i am out there i will try to get some pics if anyone is interested?

bob g

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:49:38 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

wiredwrong

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
The Bergey turbines are manufactured here in Norman, Oklahoma in a building on OU's North campus.

Heres a story I just read a few day's ago about the company,

http://www.oufoundation.org/sm/fall2003/story.asp?ID=81

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:17:48 PM by wiredwrong »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:23:13 PM »
Actually I'm pretty sure the small bergey xl1 is manufactured in China.  It is a good machine though.  All their larger 10kW machines are made in OK.

considering the cost of the rest of the system, I would not compromise a bit of money to buy the no-name chinese copy of it.  Buy the real thing - the customer support will likely be good and you should not be dissapointed.  Im a fan of bergey for sure - they make (have made for them) nice stuff.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:23:13 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.