Author Topic: New Blade Tech Brings Wind Generators to Urban Environments  (Read 282 times)

SnickersFS

New Blade Tech Brings Wind Generators to Urban Environments
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »

The design seems simple enough that any one can build it. Combine it with a Piggot designed generator and you have a monster for the big city.

The design is patented, so you can't build and sell without permission/liscensing; but you can build and experiment or use.

A video is available in the documentary section on the web site listed below, about 7 minutes with inventors interview.

http://www.aerotecture.com

This is from youtube, for those who don't have windows media player:

http://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrW9p7yBJC0U&ei=-GLJStODJtW3lAfmlaiSAw&rct=j&q=aerot

ecture&usg=AFQjCNH0t9GZ6CwIBPPO-XiifZWsDUNhrw

My original post disappeared, not sure why.

No Admin has mailed to say we removed your post as it was inappropriate for our forum.

I am hoping it was a move issue and got lost.

I have dumbed it down a little in case it was an over zealous spam assassin.

If it was intentionally removed, I would have liked to know why. Something that VBulletin/MyUPB mail boxes can satisfy. ;) Not to mention BB Code and Smilies.

I think this new blade design will mean I can install in my city. I live in a big city with not a lot of trees, so seems a good idea. This may be  great idea for our Downtown buildings.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:22:06 PM by (unknown) »

Janne

• Turbiini
    • My image gallery
scam
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »
It's just another scam. The cold fact is, that there is not very much wind down at the (or near) street level on a city, so any turbine installed there will be doomed from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:21:30 AM by Janne »
Nothing's as easy as drilling a hole in the wrong place

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: scam
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:53:06 AM »
the site has been around for at least 5 years that i know of

the i don't think it's a scam.

but it is kind of pricey.

it's just a two bladed savonius type drag mill

the vanes are similar to windside in finland

with a buck minster fuller inspired support structure.

the device sweeps 43 sq.ft. and he claims 1000 watts in a 32 mph wind

is that so far of the mark?

the alternator looks like an off the shelf modified auto alt. that is overdriven with a pulley.

the only problem i have is he wants $15,000 u.s. for it and an inverter.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:53:06 AM by electrondady1 »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
urban turbines
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
I'm not sure scam is the right word ~ but ~ this site has been around for well over 5 years.  Some systems have been installed (I believe but not sure) with tax payer dollars and there is (so far as I know, could be wrong) no data.

At the last small wind conference we attended there was a good talk (by Mick Sagrillo) on roof top 'urban turbines', most that were covered had no data on energy output.  The few that did showed 'payback periods' in the thousands of years!!!  There was no data on any aerotecture installations.

By now - after all this time, there should be some real data or at least - a 3rd party who has an installation that could offer some sort of information.

There is plenty of good real data however, to suggest that roof tops, especially in urban areas ~ do not have a good wind resource.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:04:20 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

SnickersFS

Re: urban turbines
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »
Urban areas have variable direction winds not necessarily turbulent winds, unless you get into lots of high rise buildings.

Looking at the Windside and comparing to Aeortecture, they seem like the exact same blade design.

http://www.windside.com/products.html

At least Windside has put the shaft directly into a generator, unlike the pulley and alternator of Aerotecture.

The only reason to add a pulley is because you are using an automotive alternator.

Looks like he is marketing a test rig PoC.

I like the blade, don't like the Aerotecture setup.

Inner city Wind Workshops with Hugh Piggot with the Piggot DNA Blade. :D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:44:58 AM by SnickersFS »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Wind Generators to Urban Environments
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »
If it complied with AWEA small wind specifications, it would have a survival rating of 120 mph, not 90.

If it had been tested and data collected, then a figure for total energy per year, in some sort of wind speed category or class, would be available.  It is not.

If there had been an actual technical endorsement from a real regulatory authority or commercial energy producer, then the website wouldn't have a flowery friendly letter from one person in the company to another person in the same company extolling the virtues of their product to themselves.

If it takes 32 mph of wind to generate 1kW, then the rotor's Cp is about 0.14, just what you should expect from a VAWT.  That hints that at 12 mph you can get only 50 watts....  not impressed.

We are waiting for the KILOWATT-HOURS PER YEAR figure before they have credibility.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:14:15 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: Wind Generators to Urban Environments
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »
Same old story, cover the specs. with flash. Let's promote a 10' hawt axial at $1,500.00 running in 32 MPH. No contest. If people are willing to pay $10,000.00 more for less power because it says "safe" and "bird friendly" and looks different then the VAWT scams will continue. Watch out for this one marketed soon as the "first safe and bird friendly HAWT when they turn it on it's side like they show. Buyer beware !  Dave B.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:12:05 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/