Author Topic: The Vawt  (Read 622 times)

vawtman

The Vawt
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »

I have been a member here since late 04,I know alot of my postings seem stupid to even me now but were part of the experience of learning the machine.Over the years i expanded to four sites even one dedicated to the vawt and no working models(other than Ed's my mentor)Thanks Ed.By working i mean not raking leaves into the wind.This isn't easy by no means but with effort and determination can work has Ed proved.I mismatched mine with a conversion early on but didn't quit.

Now we have two companies installing vawts on Jay Leno's shop with nothing to go by but the salesmen and no readings from Jay directly.Is this some sort of marketing ploy?I know from experience the power is there but matching it is very difficult.

I still remember Volvo Farmers challenge and thought vawts would start popping up but notta.

So in ending all the critism the vawt gets here and elsewhere is deserved at this point.

I'm not done yet Ron b(wyasdag)

In ending it's all in fun and should stay that way.

Happy Sparks

Mark

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:07:28 PM by (unknown) »

sk windpirate

Re: The Vawt
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:48:09 PM »
Hi Mark

our verts hasn't realy failed. There just not quite right. The answer is out there somewhere. If Ed can make a 700 rpm coffe can, all we have to do now is make it bigger.

Lets not give up...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:48:09 PM by sk windpirate »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »
give up ?

i need a charge controller for mine!!

put the second one up today.

i plan to rectify each separately and  run just one charge controller

gurd?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:29:47 PM by electrondady1 »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:26:25 PM »
Tell Us the secret . . .

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:26:25 PM by wooferhound »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »
no way ,

not unless you go back to that cool purple shirt picture
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:30:39 PM by electrondady1 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »
Not too many in use on VAWTs.  A couple though, so some VAWTs are working out all right.

My personal problem with caveman-sytle VAWTs is the support structure. And bearings.

I have a few long Ametek/Indiana style motors that would do OK with a simple VAWT.  12V cut in at 80 or 100 RPM.  The cost and time to test (a decent) one, which I can't fly anyway, pretty much stops me cold.  :(

Still have a plan for a large 4 or 5 cup anemometer style VAWT. :)

G-

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:06:33 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

turby44

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
hi folks,

its strange but vawts are the love of my life,the right one is about to come along shortly. my wife and i have the answer,its by no means totally origional but more a mixture of whats already out there.

you only have to sit and look at a vawt at work for a few minutes to realise it is struggling with its self,one third wants to work,shooting the breeze,while the other two thirds are blocking production and hanging on,,the answer is simple,, a shield,a shield that guides the wind onto the blades and coveres the return strokes,,this shield has to swing around to follow the wind,it can also regulates the speed and can shut down the vawt if necessary.there are at least five different ways to design the shield,thats really the problem,finding out which way is the best way.

there are some wawt designs which claim the blanki effect,i have my own opinion of that.when the real deal comes along everyone will wonder why they dident think of it sooner, like the diesel balancer shaft,common rail engine,its part of a slow evolution for improvement,,good diesel engines which run on the smell of diesel dictate the speed of progress,,well designed vawts will break through onto the market.they will be static or portable,even mounted on top of artic trailers.they will make themselves pay and thats what matters to their masters.

dreaming the dream,

turby.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:13:24 PM by turby44 »