Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Solar Panel backing?

(1/3) > >>

juiced:
Was i supposed to put some kind of backing on my PV mount? I have basically two tubular pieces of metal, bent into a triangle with bolt-holes drilled in. The mount bolts into the space behind the rear seats and before the glass (in my car). The PV bolts onto the mount.
  I didnt put backing for heat reasons. Should i install a REALLY shiney piece of sheet metal across the back of the frame/panel to catch more light? (i guess it would also serve as protection...)
   I alwas thought the only thing you put behind panels is a pasive heater sys.

ghurd:
Factory made is fine like it is.  I hope!

Circulation is good.

G-

juiced:
Hey! Good morning. I see im not the only coffee-surfer.. :p
  If my panel is 'cooled' by an external means, i.e. dry ice, nitro or something else, would it improve effiecancy?

troy:
 A cold panel is a happy productive panel.  But efficiency would also depend on where the cold came from.  Making cold can be just as energy intensive as making hot.
I have actually seen slightly higher than rated output from my two panels on a very cold very clear day around solar noon.
Best regards,
troy

ghurd:
I'm supposed to be working on work work. Seem to be working at play work.
Any decent panel is made for temps. it would see in the sun. The chemicials are balanced for that. It may pick up a little, but I would be suprised if it was over 3-4%. It may even screw something up. Either way, I can't see it ever being worth the bother or cost. It may even lower the output. I've never seen any charts that go to temps that low.
The over heating concern is more to keep the temps down to what it was designed for. If its nailed down on a 130' roof with no circulation, it is like a solar collector, and they are not designed for the kind of heat it will see. I've seen them so hot you couldn't touch them long. Eventually it will damage the PV, commonly refered to as 'burned' cells or panel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version