Author Topic: Just got 2 80 watt solar panels  (Read 2282 times)

solarson

Just got 2 80 watt solar panels
« on: June 12, 2004, 10:43:29 AM »
Just got my 2 80 watt solar panels, wondering if i can run a computer off of it or maybe just a light and a ceiling fan..........or just a laptop perhaps......i need to know what ill need to make it happen, how many batteries, what wire and how to wire it all up....will i need a charge controller

any insight is appreciated

thanks

solarson

« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 10:43:29 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Just got 2 80 watt solar panels
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 11:27:32 AM »
Solarson;

Well, I wouldn't run anything directly off those panels other than maybe an incandescent light, dc fan or something like that. However, that is slightly more than half of what I have in panels and here in the Midwest I get enough out of 300 watts of panels to run a TV, laptop computer and some cfl lighting about 5 hours a day average over the course of the year. You will want some storage [read batteries] so you can soak it up and use when you need it. All the laptops I have tried so far run just fine from 12 volts even tho they may use an 18 volt supply so those could run direct from batteries.

Well now you are hooked and you will be expanding from those panels I am sure. The 8 amps or so you will get in full sun should not require a controller as long as you have 200 to 300 amp hours of batteries [like a pair of trojan 105s] and use the power regularly. At least to start I would suggest more batteries rather than a controller. My experience is the controller costs me power from shutting down the panels when it wouldn't hurt to let it flow into the batteries. Of course opinions vary on this so you may want to get more opinions.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 11:27:32 AM by TomW »

Tom in NH

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 08:19:49 PM »
Hi Solarson,

The purpose of a charge controller is to prevent overcharging your batteries. TomW has a good idea in adding multiple batteries, thereby reducing the need for a charge controller. When you have a couple or three hundred amp hours worth of battery capacity, even when your panels are working at full capacity they will be trickle charging the batteries and they will not become damaged because of over charging.

Do your panels have diodes built in to them? if not you will want to buy a diode capapble of handling 20 amps or so and connecting it in series between one leg of your battery and the solar panel.

You can probably get away with #12 wire between the battery and the solar panel. The size of the wire to your inverter depends on how much load you intend to have. If you plan to buy a 1000 watt inverter, you will draw about 10 amps of 110 ac off the inverter and as much as 100 amps of 12dc off the batteries to feed the inverter. For this you will need much heaver wire, probably about #2 or  #1/0 (better).

It is best to keep the wire delivering 12v to the inverter as short as possible. There will be much more line loss in that wire than there will be in longer wires that deliver the 110 vac to your lights and etc. The instruction manual to the inverter manual you buy should tell you about adequate and safe wire sizes.

Good luck, --Tom

« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 08:19:49 PM by Tom in NH »

stm

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 08:36:53 PM »
Hello,

Welcome to the world of solar energy :-)

It is very hard to answer your question without knowing the requirements for your project.

The first thing you should do is to messure the required power of your loads (light, microwave, pc etc) you need to know how many hours a day you use them, how many watt's they use (both startup and average! - this is important if you need to choose an inverter). you can use this information to calculate which appliances you can run on your solar power.

second, you will be producing power whenever the sun shines, so you need to store the power somewhere for use when you need it (depending of your location, 3 days whithout sunshine is not uncommon) - This requires the use of either a grid-tied controler (take a look at soladin 120 and soladin 600) or a few batteries.

If you take a look at the postings on this board, you will see that ppl recomment that you charge your battery at the amphour rating dived by 10 or 20.

Asuming that your panels and battery are 12v, you can't do with less than a 92 amphour battery. This number is the combined amphour of all of the batteries you have put in your battery bank. This is important if you want to keep your battery-bank healty.

You should get a charge controler rated at 10 amps or more (make room for future expansion if you buy an expensive one).

TomW recomments that you dont use a charge controller, and he's right - you can do without it, but he is an advanced user ;-)

The reason for recommending that you get a charge-controler is that it will protect your battery. It does this by disconnection your load when the battery reaches about 10.5 volt, and as TomW writes in his reply, it will disconnect your solar panel when the battery is full.

I have chosen a Steca Thetra rated at 30 amps. My controller has a few leds which shows the SOC (state of charge) of the batery, the solar panels and the users. It also has some features which are supposed to make my batteries last longer by charging them at the right voltage levels. The only function I am using is the SOC - the rest is just for fun.

The wiring is important too. The correct wire is chosen based on the distance from the solar panel to your batteries. This link has a table showing the wiresize vs. distance. You will lose a lot of energy if you choose an incorrect size.

http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/Wire_Table.htm

Fuses: You should put a fuse on your batery. A battery has the ability to put more than 6200 amps through a shortcircuit for a few seconds (I read a test somewhere on the web) - a fuse is not expensive, and it can save your life/prevent a fire.

Inverter: An inverter transforms 12v into 120/220 volt used by a lot of appliances in your house. You need to pick an inverter which able to deliver the startup load of your appliance - this number is often much larger than the normal load. Remember that an inverter uses power even when it is not used, so appliances which uses 12v should be prefered. If you choose a 10 amp charge controller, then put the inverter directly on the battery - The inverter uses a lot of power when it is turned on.

Check out www.homepower.org there's a few schematics an some other information which you might find usefull.

I hope that this ínformation will help ýou getting a healty and longlasting system up and running.

TomW: Thanks for the tip on running laptops directly off 12v - I'll try it, it might eliminate yet another appliance on my inverter :-)

/Steffen

« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 08:36:53 PM by stm »

12volt dan

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 06:05:54 AM »
As for the laptop on 12v, my laptop has been on 12v direct for over a year with no ill effects (it's normal voltage is 15v)

it just entered this post

Have fun with the panels :^)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 06:05:54 AM by 12volt dan »

BurksFallsMan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 08:25:33 PM »
Dan: I guess that I made a dum mistake when I purchased my laptop (DELL) because the monster I think that runs on 24 volts, and no way to convert 12 to 24 that I know.

I will measure my battery pack just in case.

Wilson
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 08:25:33 PM by BurksFallsMan »

stm

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 08:22:07 AM »
Well there is a way to convert 12v to 24v - a dc-dc converter, and depending on the model they can convert your chosen voltage in both directions

a quick search on google reveiled a lot on links - Here's a few

http://www.gamatronic.com/products/Converters/Converter_Mini.html

http://shop.altenergystore.com/items.asp?CartId=9963223PDHDB7-EVEREST-33&Cc=DCVOLTCN

http://www.solar-electric.com/12to24or24to.html

They are however just as expensive as an inverter, so you may prefer to search for the schematic, and build one yourself. (Maybe you can buy a kit to use your laptop at 12v - This is a common accessory for laptops.)

/Steffen

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 08:22:07 AM by stm »

Victor

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
OR set up a 24 volt system by putting your panels in series.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:50:00 PM by Victor »