Author Topic: Tour of Solar homes- Denver/Boulder  (Read 1712 times)

CntrlAltDel

Tour of Solar homes- Denver/Boulder
« on: October 01, 2004, 07:33:49 AM »
Oct 2-3  http://www.cres-energy.org/  Call 303-441-3278 for information

(National Renewable Energy Laboratory  (Exhibits) on Sunday also).

(I found this in the local newspaper)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 07:33:49 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Tour of Solar homes- Denver/Boulder
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 06:00:04 PM »
The tour is down here in the Durango area as well, I'm going out to look at an earthship tomorrow. They had a neat presentation on PV and solar hot water last night, pretty basic and I didn't learn much but you got to pick the brains of the guys who do this for a living after the presentation. So it turned out to be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 06:00:04 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

CntrlAltDel

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 09:01:25 PM »
I actually want to see a home up the canyon here in Lyons Co,Had a freind that wanted to tour the Denver thing but had company.(Whimped on me)

I talked to an archicect today that has visited (NREL) today and he said flat awesome.

The tour is $30 per carfull for Saturday.(I will buy the map),It is my 22 Aniversary(kinda have a wife).I have built PV's from cell's and have passive panel's that work,(awesomely) , If anyone cares to join me?a light saturday and sunday @ NREL on my dime. qweesdraw@hotmail.com (a ph#) I will be in Boulder bout 12 am.

FYI I Own a chessy Jeep Chorekee (the lil' buck) it will fit 2 folk's

CntrlAltDel
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 09:01:25 PM by CntrlAltDel »

CntrlAltDel

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 09:47:39 PM »
Dennis Weaver (Chester),Gunsmoke),has a Solar house in those part's.

You get to see it?

I sat to him on the Durango/Silverton RR one day.(didn't know he was into solar @ that time),Seem's as if his leg got better too!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 09:47:39 PM by CntrlAltDel »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 12:41:04 AM »
Well, went and saw three homes today. The earthship was pretty cool. I've read a lot about them but never have been in one. On the plus side, they haven't heated the thing at all since they've built it five or six years ago.  Last January, it got pretty cold here. Lows below ZeroF and highs in the twenties & thirties for a week or two. He said the earthship went to 60F inside and went no lower, Usually it stays in the mid to high sixties in the winter. On the minus side, the thing was like 1800 SF and had one bedroom and one bath. That walkway-planter bed in front takes up a lot of usable space and the 18" walls between rooms don't help much either. Also, the wide open design works well for heating but there's no privacy whatsoever. A noise in the bedroom is clearly heard on the other side of the house. There's no doors to separate the rooms save the bathroom. They run the whole thing off a 600W PV array. They did it a while back so it's all 12V, DC lights and an inverter. Interesting to see how things have changed in the last 5 or 6 years.

The other places I saw were in this co-housing development. From my perspective, this is alternative building for the sake of alternative building. Saw two places with huge timber framing and strawbale or straw/clay construction. Nifty but really expensive. However, I did like the idea of co-housing. Lots of duplexes, you had to walk a hundred yards or so to your car and the houses were all neatly arranged along a walkway with a playground for kids and a community center. There were these litle hand carts everwhere to help you get the groceries from the car to the house. I guess everyone has to help out with the building of the community property and upkeep, they do community dinners once in a while etc. But we saw one of these places up for sale for a measly $370K... Not exactly in my price range. The place had grid power and common water/sewer so there's no real need to do anything alternative except to impress your neighbors.

I think it would be cool to have a little community like this but where the people were scratching by on their own PV systems and the architecture and real eatate wasn't so high dollar and uniform. I suppose this is a pipe dream and places like I'm describing end up being the "projects" but it was a neat idea to put a little community together out in the middle of nowhere. Something about the idea appealed to me.

Volvo farmer

« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 12:41:04 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

CntrlAltDel

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 07:35:02 PM »
I would not recommend this tour but to a newbie!

Basically  Rich folk's with the vendors with their hands out?,I only visited 6.

The Earthship in Lyon's is totally off grid,yes i did learn.

Very dissaponting.

In my books.

only one had wind (eathship),way impressive too!

The rest seemed to be the $$$ folk's that couldn't live off-grid if their life depended on it!(and wouldn't know what to do if they had a problem)

nO oWNERS TO TALK TO, JUST VENDORS WITH THEIR PAMFLET'S. (Oh joy!)

CntlAltDel
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 07:35:02 PM by CntrlAltDel »