Author Topic: Battery and Wiring help  (Read 1761 times)

Shadow Von Wolf

Battery and Wiring help
« on: November 18, 2004, 03:14:51 PM »
A friend of mine aprroched me about her panel system and battery delima. She recently moved her panels from Flagstaff, AZ to Prescott, AZ and in the process her panels and/or wiring was damaged and are NOT charging at the prevous amp rating. Would the elevation difference (2000 feet) make a major difference in the amp output oif the penels are getting the smae exposure? As a consquence her batteries as having trouble as well. I don't know what brand she has but they are flooded style. She runs a 24/48 volt system and has 30+ batteries in series/parallel and only half of them are doing well, the other half are needing water 2-5 time a week. Can someone help me under stand why and if possible try to help. Thank you
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 03:14:51 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Battery and Wiring help
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 03:54:44 PM »
Sounds like they overcharging if they are using that much water.

I would have a good look at the controller. Possibly damaged in the move. Some can be damaged by improper practices when connecting or disconnecting.

Maybe they aren't connected right? If half are doing fine and half are not, possibly something is wired wrong.

G-

« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 03:54:44 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nack

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:59:33 PM »
I agree it sounds like overcharging.  I would also double check to make sure that the battery strings didn't get shortened in the move (48V on a 24V string might boil some water).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 04:59:33 PM by nack »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:51:54 PM »
I agree it sounds like overcharging.  I would also double check to make sure that the battery strings didn't get shortened in the move

I concur.

If they're wired right another explanation is that a cell was shorted during the move, shortening that battery by two volts.

If her total battery consists of two series-strings of individual batteries, which are in turn parallel connected, a shorted cell in one of the two series strings will cause that string to overcharge and constantly run low on water, while the other string never achieves a decent charge.  Meanwhile the inverter will run while the sun is out, but once it's down will consider the total battery to be nearly discharged (which the good sttring actually is, because of the low voltage on the other string due to the shorted cell).  Once the surface charge is used up, after a very short time, it will shut down.  This makes it look like you're not charging, even though the panels, charge controller, and most of your batteries are just fine.

Sound like the symptoms?

You can find the shorted cell by unhooking the string that is constantly running low on water and measuring the voltage on each battery.  The bad one will be a couple volts down.  Or just notice which cell isn't boiling off as much water.

Meanwhile, a quick patch is disconnecting the gassing string.  That will let the good string achieve full charge, getting her system up to half its normal reserve until she can get the bad battery identified and replaced.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 05:51:54 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Tom in NH

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 07:11:33 PM »
Maybe there is a voltage adjustment on the controller that got knocked out of wack, and as a consequence your float voltage is too high. Time to get out the owner's manual :~)  Tom
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 07:11:33 PM by Tom in NH »

Shadow Von Wolf

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:42:09 PM »
Ya, that sounds like the symtoms.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 08:42:09 PM by Shadow Von Wolf »

troy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 09:30:08 AM »
All good comments.  And for sure, it's not the elevation change.

Good luck and have fun!

troy

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 09:30:08 AM by troy »