Author Topic: need Reflector foil for a solar project  (Read 4255 times)

xboxman

need Reflector foil for a solar project
« on: November 30, 2004, 10:04:31 AM »
where can i get some Reflector Material  or foil thats really shiny like a mirror  need  something to reflected light and solar energy  and it needs to be at least 4 foot long and a foot or so wide

thanks gameman
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 10:04:31 AM by (unknown) »

baggo

Re: need Reflector foil for a solar project
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 10:27:51 AM »
Someone posted a similar query some time ago:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/9/29/73248/7777

Some of the comments mentioned several sources for suitable material. Hope that helps.

John

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 10:27:51 AM by baggo »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 10:28:06 AM »
  Camping equipment, survival blanket...I think it is mylar plastic sold at Walmart.

Have Fun!

( :>) Norm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 10:28:06 AM by Norm »

picmacmillan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:24:30 PM »
i beleive this post may be a highschool science project...my son has to cook a marsmellow with solar...any tips i can give him?......pickster

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 12:24:30 PM by picmacmillan »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 01:08:58 PM »
Not being a smart a$$ here, but go to radio shack and buy a solar ciggarette lighter and stick a marshmellow on it instead of a ciggarette :)

Or get a good magnifing glass and rotate the marshmelow under it. If it can set wood on fire it should cook a marshmellow.

Actually those should work, but he might not get that great a grade on it. Basically I think take a rounded mirrored object prop it up facing the sun then see where the focal point is, the brightest hottest spot in front of it. Then hold the marhmellow on a stick into that point or make a mount to hold it there like maybe a bent coat hanger.

Kinda getting back to the ciggarette lighter again I first mentioned, see I said I wasn't be a smart a$$ about it :)

For materails to try, I think the bottom of a coffee can rounded into sort of a shallow bowl shape might work. I use those for alot of things, I drink lots of coffee! Beware of sharp edges though.

Maxwell house cans now have a mylar type pull off plastic cover on the top under the plastic lid, no need for a can opener now. I think those were pretty shiney and may reflect well but never tried them. Haven't seen one for ahwile, I think that's what they are. Wife and kid opened the last few cans of coffee.

A shallow stainless steel bowl polished like chrome might work well also.

Don't really want the sides in the way, I don't think they would be of any use, but a rounded curved type bottom should work nicley.

Maybe the aluminum foil type pie pans like store bought pies or pie crusts come in.

Could fold up tin foil to make a little oven barely bigger than the largest marshmellow he would be using, use a magnifieing glass on the side towards the sun to heat that side and the cupped bottom as a solar reflector to concentrate the heat to the bottom of the oven and bake it maybe. If that works he could try making larger ones and squash a marshmellow between a grahm cracker and a chunk of chocolate and makes smores!!

Using a foil pie pan fold it into a box with out the top, place marshmellow inside and cover box with glass to bake it. Probably would be better if foil was painted black and maybe tape some cardboard around all sides of the box for insulation to hold in heat except the top of course. If painting use something non toxic also of course.

Many ideas pop to mind for this, gee I wish my daughters science class would actually  try to do something for any type of real science project like this. Maybe for highschool next year?? Most the grade school projects were nice but a dud as far as actually doing anything, and 7-8 grades don't even do any.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:08:58 PM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »
Along with the other sugestions for the 4' reflector you might try one of those cheapy shades for auto windshields if you have a store like Everythings $1

Not sure how big they actually are, I have one out in a car in the yard somewhere, fell off the windshield. I think all those are is something padded and covered with reflective mylar. Mine was silver. I am not talking about the cardboard ones that stand up on the dash, these are soft and foldable and hang from the windshield with suctioncups. Only $1

Our local grocery store now has a $1 section of junk and they have these now also for just $1 too.

If you can't get a mylar blanket or they cost much then look for one of these, I see em all over the place. I need to look for the Mylar blankets myself, I always forget about them when at the stores. Don't know how much they really cost, only time I see em is in survial magazines for about $10, but then again they try to sell peanut butter for $20 as a survival food too!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:24:58 PM by nothing to lose »

hardwired

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:54:36 PM »
Go with the Survival blanket, I think they are a dollar.

For cooking a marshmallow check out SolarCooking.org go the plans section.  You can make a panel solar cooker with cardboard, aluminium foil and white wood glue, and cook anything.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:54:36 PM by hardwired »

learning

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 02:15:21 PM »
when i was playing with solar ovens I used a product called mylar reflective sheeting. Its 95% reflective and the thickness of paper so can mold to any shape! I would suggest the long life type as its thicker and not such a nightmare to handle.

For those of you in the UK I got mine from http://www.growell.co.uk/p/0309/Mylar_Reflective_Sheeting.html.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 02:15:21 PM by learning »

veewee77

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 03:48:50 PM »
get an old Dish Network or DriecTV dish.  Go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those mylar survival blankets in the camping section, and a can of 3m (or other cheap) spray adhesive.

Line the dish with the blanket material using the spray adhesive.  Then put the marshmallow in the spot where the feedhorn used to be and point to the sun!

Toasted 'shmallo shortly! (Actually, burned up 'shmallo if ya aren't careful. . .

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 03:48:50 PM by veewee77 »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 05:49:13 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 05:49:13 PM by hvirtane »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 09:15:49 PM »
 Too cook a Marshmallow I always used a Blow Torch . . .
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 09:15:49 PM by wooferhound »

bob golding

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 12:06:06 PM »
hi hannu, looking at thier pool/spa heater i reckon you could make your own using  standard polycarbonate roofing sheets. pity i dont have a spa but could be  useful for a pond you didnt want to freeze.

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 12:06:06 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

nothing to lose

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 07:50:26 AM »
If those Mylar survival blankets are only  $1 I'll grab a couple today myself while I'm out. I never looked at them at Wallmart, only time I saw them like I said they were high.

I guess since so many people are using the mylar stuff it must hold up well in direct sun? I could use alot of that cheap. If I get some today, maybe I'll have some neat posts for uses for it :)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 07:50:26 AM by nothing to lose »

Snoprob

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 03:07:46 PM »
The $1.98 USD emergency blankets at wall s'mart are about 85% reflective and have zero UV stabilizers in the thin plastic sheet. Very usefull for models and mockups but 8-10 weeks of UV exposure they start turning into glitter dust. If you are going to use them make sure the aluminized side is toward the sun, check by scraping away a bit of silvering or it goes oxidizes into glitter dust doubly fast.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 03:07:46 PM by Snoprob »

nothing to lose

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 05:11:52 AM »
I got a $1.98 walmart blanket to play with.

Comparing that to a Always Save potatoe chips bag, the bag is as reflective inside I think as the blanket and a heavier plastic. I may try rinsing and using the chip bags.

And I found the windshield screen I mentioned for the $1 also, it also turned to silver flakes though it is several years old now. I have no idea how long it lasted since the car it was in is never used, doesn't run.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 05:11:52 AM by nothing to lose »

xboxman

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2005, 10:44:49 AM »
i know i can use all the AOL CD's i keep getting in the mail :p lol

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 10:44:49 AM by gameman »