Author Topic: Semi-relevant - how do you mount something to the roof?  (Read 3752 times)

Jeff7

Semi-relevant - how do you mount something to the roof?
« on: February 14, 2005, 08:33:15 PM »
I've searched for roof mounting, and I've seen all kinds of pictures and descriptions of the finished product, but I can't seem to find anything that's really basic - things like, how do you secure something to the roof without punching a hole in it and letting water leak into the house? I can't say I've ever spent much time up on the roof, nor have I ever really wanted to, but it looks like this project will have me up there quite a bit, assuming I'm able to make a panel I'm satisfied with.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 08:33:15 PM by (unknown) »

K3CZ

Re: Semi-relevant - how do you mount something to
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »
In general, solar panels are often mounted on roofs - check the many Home Power articles that utilze that technique.  (Drilling thru is generally necessary, with generous application of good old asphalt roof cement, altho there other more modern sealing systems.)

When it comes to windmills, the requirements are considerably stiffer, due to the vibration and moving mass involved.  Most who have tried eventually went to a free standing tower, altho the owners manual I have for my 1930's era 200 watt Wincharger shows pictures of several rooftop installations (even one in the top of a pine tree) but does not reccommend such installation for both aerodynamic and structural reasons. (Wind is considerably more turbulent within 20/30 feet of a rooftop.)

I hope you can scrounge up some on-site assistance from somebody who has done it before.

Van    K3CZ
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 02:25:34 PM by K3CZ »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 03:10:11 PM »
I often drill a hole in the roof. Make a backing plate of 3/4" plywood, and drill a hole in it.  Silicone everything from above. Bolt it down. In the attic, the backing plate, a fender washer, a thick washer, a nut, and a jamb nut.

Works for me. No leaks that I know of.

G-
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 03:10:11 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Monzadude

Re: how do you mount something to the roof?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
All I did was make a mounting rack and mounted it so that the screws lined up with the roof trusses. Then lots of roofing tar and I've never had a leak.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 09:23:00 PM by Monzadude »

jacquesm

roof mounting
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 07:29:47 AM »
When you mount something on a roof take great care to use only Stainless and / or Aluminum hardware, anything else will leave very ugly stains. All the above comments about sealing are on the ball, the 'roof truss' method is the strongest, an alternative (which is better for your trusses in case you do have a bit if seepage) is to bolt a 2x2 on the side of your roof trusses, and then mount your hardware in there. That way if you do have a leak that which gets eaten is expendable.

another important thing is to drill from the INSIDE outwards, that way you don't end up with a roof that looks like swiss cheese...

« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 07:29:47 AM by jacquesm »

Jeff7

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 08:39:27 AM »
Ok, thank you all for the helpful tips; I guess I'm going to need to lay down some sheets of wood or something - the area of the roof where the panels is going, underneath it inside there are only lots of support beams and insulation. No attic to speak of. We have an excuse for an attic in the garage - a bunch of sheets of thick plywood laying on top of the support beams. Nothing like that over the rest of the house though. Guess I'll have to make a few temporary additions there.

All the above comments about sealing are on the ball, the 'roof truss' method is the strongest, an alternative (which is better for your trusses in case you do have a bit if seepage) is to bolt a 2x2 on the side of your roof trusses, and then mount your hardware in there. That way if you do have a leak that which gets eaten is expendable.

So this is if I mount to a roof truss, then I just put reinforcements on the sides, correct? The drilling in this case would be done from the rooftop I assume?

I hope you can scrounge up some on-site assistance from somebody who has done it before.

I imagine I can find someone to give me a little help on this. I'll only be doing solar power too - no windmills. The windflow around the house is very turbulent - we get horizontal vortexes forming everywhere, as the wind sweeps down low to the ground until it hits the house, blasts upward until it comes to the roof edge, and then blows away and down to the ground. The entire house gets a strong downdraft too - our chimney is useless. A match placed in front of the air outlet in the basement gets blown out forcefully by the air blowing into the house. Hm, maybe a windmill in the chimney? :)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 08:39:27 AM by Jeff7 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 09:12:51 AM »
I have drilled between the trusses, then mounted 2x6's sideways, between and connecting truss to truss.  The PVs are then fastened to the 2x6's.  Really strong.

G-
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 09:12:51 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TERRYWGIPE

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 10:13:18 AM »
I'm a roofer by trade and if you've never worked with shingles,slate or whatever material your roof is made out of .I wouldn't suggest you try it alone. you'll just end up with a leak.

Terry

« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 10:13:18 AM by TERRYWGIPE »