Author Topic: HELP! My Panels Don't Work!!  (Read 1987 times)

Debdwill

HELP! My Panels Don't Work!!
« on: April 07, 2005, 09:15:30 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased my first home in the los angeles, ca area and discovered it has solar panels.  I mistakenly allowed the realtor choose the inspector and he never mentioned anything about them.  They don't work and water is leaking into the house from someplace around them, causing even more repairs for this fixer-upper.  Is it more expensive to replace or remove?  What should I do????

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 09:15:30 PM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: HELP! My Panels Don't Work!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 03:19:46 PM »
Leaky solar panels, as in heating panels. I woundt think they would be too hard to fix, since it's just simple plumbing. Though, replacing them is usually several hundred dollars a piece.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 03:19:46 PM by pyrocasto »

wdyasq

Don't Panic
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 03:53:02 PM »
I'd sure file acomplaints with all the government agencies and orginizations associated with the inspection processs and the state realitor board before I started trying to figure out what to do with the panels.

Your panel problem could be anything from 'there was a cold solder joint' and it takes the techinician longer to get his torch out than fix the problem to 'OH MY GAWD - they mixed materials on the panels and the electrolisis makes it appear as though metal termites got to the panels'.

You should find someone with the knowledge and ability to properly diagnose the situation.  It might be simple, it may be complex.

Good Luck,

Ron

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 03:53:02 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

TimV

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 05:26:51 PM »
First are these panels for heating water? Are they on the roof? Are they leaking when it rains or are they leaking all time and should have water to them shut off? Please get a little more specific. Your whole problem maybe resolved with a gallon can of roof tar for about $5.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 05:26:51 PM by TimV »

TERRYWGIPE

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 06:19:56 PM »
As far as fixing or removing them, you have the experts on this board, to advise you I'm not qualified. However as a roofer, you should first check in the rafters to see if the units themselves are leaking or the flashing around them are. If it's a flashing problem it'll leak only during rain. Take some picks, so we can see what's going on up there. Just don't get hurt doing it

Terry

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 06:19:56 PM by TERRYWGIPE »

mkseps

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 06:53:36 PM »
Most states have laws that require the former owner to make claim of any serious faults with the property you purchase.  If these solar heaters leaked when the previous owner was there, that party can be held reponsible to make good from these faults.  Check with your local government building inspector who would know of such liabilities.  The former owner may be held liable in a court action and if he knows of your intent, may quickly fix your problem.  Don't make any fixes until you resolve who's liable.  Your attempt to fix it may nullify the other partys responsiblity.  Good luck.

Gene
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 06:53:36 PM by mkseps »

rotornuts

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 08:27:14 PM »
I think the concensus is that more info is needed. Pictures are always best. Close ups of the junction between the panels and the roof even better and confirm when the panels leak. If you have to go on the roof think twice first.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 08:27:14 PM by rotornuts »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 08:48:44 PM »
Most states have laws that require the former owner to make claim of any serious faults with the property you purchase.  If these solar heaters leaked when the previous owner was there, that party can be held reponsible to make good from these faults.

However I think you are on firm ground to do an emergency repair to stop the leak and halt the additional consequential damage - and include that cost in your claim.  (Bringing it back into operation might be a different matter.)

Also:  You may have a claim against the inspector.  In addition to any legal recourse, many inspection companies give a guarantee - meaning they'll pay for the fix of anything they passed as OK when it was really broken.

First check your inspection paperwork to see what their warranty terms are and if they did some "not included" weasel on the panels (or actually reported them as defective - in which case you're hosed both with them AND possibly with the seller).  Then check with them (and then your lawyer if they don't immediately give satisfaction.)  They'll want to look at it and proabably have a list of contractors they trust to do the repair and not overcharge them for it (or give them a discount for the referrals.)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 08:48:44 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Debdwill

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 10:42:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your input!  I had no idea where to start.  I was told by a roofer that the leaks I was experiencing were likely coming from the panels.  It only leaks when it rains.  I will continue to search for a qualified technician and hope for the best.  All my best.  D.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 10:42:41 AM by Debdwill »