Author Topic: tracker specifications engineer approved  (Read 1367 times)

BruceDownunder

tracker specifications engineer approved
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:44:25 AM »
I'd like to purchase -or be given- an approved engineer's certificate of drawings to build ,say,1Kw expandable to 2Kw frame and footings .. The ground is rocky,undisturbed,, the steel I have is 3x3x 1/4 inch structual equal angle ..heavy galvanized..

Heaps of steel ,welders, concrete mixers , know how ,,,just that the beaucrats need a qulified engineer's certificate...

will be putting up 6 square meters of solar in the first stage--maybe expanding to 12 square meters later..

I'm in Australia--willing to pay for the advice and cert.

Bruce

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:44:25 AM by (unknown) »

Blowharder

Re: tracker specifications engineer approved
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:32:32 AM »
We just built a prototype dual axis tracker out of 50 x 50 x 6mm aluminium. Its been up and running for about a week, producing about 2.5 kW per day here (NE Victoria, Australia), from 2 Sunpower 210W panels, through an Apollo Solar mppt.

The same setup produced about 1.6 kW when the panels were fixed. (Some late afternoon shading problems, so performance would be improved in full sun all day)

Some strong wind gusts recently caused the frame to flex, but not excessively. A tracker of this design is like a sail, really. Even though it's built as solid as is feasable, there will be a wind strong enough to blow it over one day, I'm sure.

Our design specs suggest that increasing the area supported by the tracker will result in the need for disproportionately stronger frames, bearings and mountings, and that there is a point where increasing system output is best achieved by increasing the number of trackers.

In answer to your question about engineers certificates, I think such a certificate would be dependant upon the maximum expected windspeed in your area. The amount of force applied to various parts of the assembly can be calculated using Betz Limits.

If anybody is interested, I can post some pics and a diagram. Our tracker frame accepts three panels, however we are intending to use the center section to mount 100 x 100 mm mirrors, for a heat exchange system.

A closing comment... solar panels are very expensive, even with the right running gear. A tracker/mppt combination can reduce your panel requirement considerably, but this must be weighed against the risk of panel damage caused by big winds, same as with wind turbines.

"Make it run, make it right, make it fast." - Donald Knuth

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:32:32 AM by Blowharder »

BruceDownunder

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »
Thanks Donald,,  I have a 4 panel frame working for the past 4 years . It's very solid and with 100Kph winds it as steady as a rock. I generally over-engineer things of this nature ,,using 3x3x1/4 equal angle structual steel,(have heaps) from a tv tower upgrade (3 cases of vb for a truckload..

I'll talk to an engineer and get a quote ,,I'll do the drawings..

Thanks

Bruce

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:28:45 PM by BruceDownunder »

Blowharder

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:54:14 PM »
Sorry Bruce, I'm not Donald... he wrote 'The Art of Computer Programming', and I've probably misquoted him.

Regarding engineers certificates...

Are there other grounds (e.g. negligence) on which I could be sued for posting a stupid answer here that ends up costing someone?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:54:14 PM by Blowharder »

BruceDownunder

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:34:34 PM »
Not with this little turkey

Bruce

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:34:34 PM by BruceDownunder »

StorminN

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 11:07:59 PM »
I'd love to see pics and a diagram, thanks!

-N.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:07:59 PM by StorminN »