Author Topic: Solar sign tailers-new aquisition  (Read 2935 times)

mgtd

Solar sign tailers-new aquisition
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:50:46 PM »
Recently picked up these two trailers.   My intent was stripping off the 824 w of solar panels (16, 53 watt Siemens 12 volt panels), hydraulics, batteries, charge controllers and misc.   Was going to incorporate the panels into my existing array, and make a log splitter out of one of the trailers and hydraulics. Selling off the other trailer-stripped down to a flatbed.

Then I fired them up and they both work.  Batteries need attention, fluids and low on charge--one set is better than the other,  A few led's are out, but the signs, hydraulics and computer controls all seem okay. Trailers are very sturdy also.

Now I'm perplexed as to what approach to take.  I'm considering selling them as "not perfect, but working" Changeable Message Signs, and then use any funds to buy new solar panels.  I'm into both trailers for $2500.00, which comes to just under $3.00/watt for the solar, without using or selling off any components.  These panels are frequently on ebay for about $4.50/watt, plus shipping.  Any thoughts?? Did I do good?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:50:46 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

traffic jam
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »
My garage has never been that busy.....

Ron

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:15:44 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Solar sign tailers-new aquisition
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »
I say install the solar and batteries in your system, sell the trailers, build a low rider with the hydraulics, keep the signs and driver computer. Set the signs up in your landscaping scheme have it light up on excess power days with an display  like:

XXXX Kilowatts of Solar since [date]...

About half joking mostly the low rider and sign part.

I don't see how you can lose on the deal really and maybe have some fun.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:22:58 PM by TomW »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:27:43 PM »
I have a guy at work that bought 4 of these signs and he sold off the message board to some guy that wanted a sign for his business. then he sold off the trailers. and gave me all the batteries. what he ended up with was all the panels. after all the stuff was sold off he was into the panels for a dollar a watt. not a bad deal for him and everyone else who benefited from his purchase.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:27:43 PM by luckeydog »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:38:32 PM »
Set them up out on the road and have them flash

"Solar Panel Recycling Center"

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:38:32 PM by wooferhound »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
LOL

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:33:51 PM by zap »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »
There's good money in advertising. If it was me who had these two trailers, I would give one a paint job, service, add my contact details and stick it out on the street to attract businesses who could see the advertising potential for an upcoming event.

I would take the solar panels off the other trailer, add them to my existing solar, and then strip the trailer for spare parts for the working trailer.

That way you end up with more solar generation, an extra income, and spare parts.

Glenn

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:51:49 PM by gizmo »

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:03:08 AM »
You're right at first...

Most businesses have electricity, and do not need portability of a trailered sign,  pull the signs and controllers and sell them as a package with a cheap power supply, incorporate the rest into your system, you're right, trailer are cute too, everyone likes a little trailer to pull behind a small truck or car.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:03:08 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

MVIDSMITH

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
You could rent out the signs and have a little business on the side.

Or you could sell the panels on ebay as used.and use the money to buy new panels get your solar rebate if you have one in your state and buy more panels.

or you could sell the signs and lease the trailers to county fairs farm markets and church events that need some portable power but don't have the funds time or availability for an electrical drop from the grid.

I use six 75 watt panels I got off a trailer like that for $400. I also got the charge controller(now replaced with a xantrex) a couple large deep cell batterys an inverter and some fuses. Its all the power I need because I only use what I have.

M

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:54:26 PM by MVIDSMITH »

BT Humble

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »
I can think of SO many rude and vulgar messages that I could put into one of those! ;-)

Incidentally, do you think you could scan and post the user's guide?  There are a couple of these trailers near my house displaying "straighten up and fly right" type messages that could stand to be lightened up just a little. ;-)

BTH

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:35:31 PM by BT Humble »