Author Topic: Hot air panels - install started  (Read 1169 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Hot air panels - install started
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
 We've had a big break in the weather so a bit more progress with the hot air panels. Here's a photo showing the vent holes which are now completed after punching through from the inside to meet the hole run halfway through from the outside last week. Ran those in just far enough for the center bit of the hole saw to poke through as a guide inside. These are temporarily taped over now until we mount the panels.

We still need to bring the other one down here from Dave's shop, they are heavy and we need to engineer an easy way to lift them into place probably with a come along. I wanted these pretty high on the wall for several reasons. The 4' roof overhang is helpful to shed the rain, less likely for the lawn mower to interfere and the main reason is this gains me a few more years without having to cut a few trees out back as they reach for the sky.

This wall faces due South and is free from shadows. More progress soon I hope, I'm getting anxious.  Dave B.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:50:08 AM by (unknown) »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

projectpower

Re: Hot air panels - install started
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:37:44 PM »
coolies
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:37:44 PM by projectpower »

Electron Skipper

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »
A start is a start as it makes you further along than doing nothing at all.

If they work as well as my passive greenhouse has, you will see more heat than you will know what to do with.  Have a heat storage plan to go along with the panels?  

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:35:22 PM by Electron Skipper »

jclaudii

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
I'm excited to see what happens with this as well.  I would love to see some data charts of a weeks time or so after you get it up.  

I'm thinking of doing something similar, but I'm thinking I can get more yield with solar water heating.  

Please post some action shots up with you installing it.  I also have a hard time finding your post because I would think they would be under "remote living" > Heat.  I know it's capturing solar energy, but I think that heading is under the home brewed electricity umbrella.  

Great work so far and they look great.  Even if they put out marginal, they are a start and that is better than me at the moment.  

Can't wait to the next pics.  

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:36:42 PM by jclaudii »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »
 Thanks for the reply. It's been a solid week now of very Wintry weather again and it's frustrating not be able to do much with the installation. I had rigged the come along and straps and moved every thing into position to hoist this first one up last week and there it sits. Blizzard out there again right now, it needs to be no gloves weather and timed right with my helper's schedule too to get this done.

This whole project seemed much simpler than it's turned out to be but it will be done as best we can, no short cuts now. Yes, I have a way of logging temperature also so this will be very interesting and I plan to post much information. It's hard to wait but this is a 2 person job now. Keep a watch, I'll still post under Solar.  Dave B.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:59:40 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/