Author Topic: Solar repair with windshield crack repair?  (Read 2122 times)

slimsalmon

Solar repair with windshield crack repair?
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:14:35 AM »
I had someone contact me about a solar panel in their array which got a crack but which didn't shatter into tiny pieces and is actually still outputting just fine.  My concern though would be moisture entering and either fogging, molding, or shorting things.  

I was wondering if anyone has used automotive windshield crack repair to fix cracks in panels?  Seems like it should work, but I'm unsure about the short potential and material compatibility.  Frankly I'm surprised I can't find any info about this online anywhere.  

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:14:35 AM by (unknown) »

Airstream

Re: Solar repair with windshield crack repair?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:12:28 AM »
I've tried DIY windshield 'birds-eye' repair kits on long cracks and found it failed miserably on curved auto glass... I'd be dropping into commercial windshield repair places for their opinion. The frames are usually removable so if/where the crack extends under the frame would not have to be missed, though the encapsulation exposed at the edges between the front and back planes might not like the solvents.

I know IF the crack is repaired ASAP after it happened the chances of a good fix are vastly increased, every sun-warming and cool off cycle makes the halves separate a little further allowing moisture, dust, pollen, oil film and other pollutants to accumulate in the crevice and deny the repair solution the optimum conditions to wick in and flash crystallize without voids or opaque/gummy sections.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:12:28 AM by Airstream »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
Windshield crack fix properly applied requires access to both sides of the glass. You put a suction cup on one side with the epoxy in it and a backing cup on the other and pump the sealer though the glass. You can't do that with a pv panel. It also doesn't work on cracks, in spite of the makers' claims, just bulls-eyes and chips.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/fixityourself/ss/windsh-repair.htm

I have a HF panel that cracked. It's not tempered glass. The crack started small and I put some clear silicone sealer on it. Unfortunately the crack just keeps growing and is now the full length of the panel.

The proper fix is to replace the glass. If that isn't possible, then maybe put a piece of clear window film over the crack.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:53:03 PM by dnix71 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »
Permatex makes some kind of silicone windshield sealer.

Comes in a small toothpaste tube, on a cardboard backed, plastic covered, hang-tag package. Not in a can.

It is not the most common part number, but they DO make it.

I think it is extra super duper runny silicon.

It is what I would try.

I used it several years ago, needed more 6 months ago, looked for 6 months (even internet), and found it again at Advanced Auto few weeks ago.

Must be a seasonal item.

G-

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:33:32 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

slimsalmon

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
Ok, so I got out to the site and the panel was cracked in a million pieces like they usually are.  It was a Kyocera 120.  Are these possible to replace the glass on?  I replaced the module with a new one the customer had ordered and took the broken one with.  The unit is still outputting at close to rated power when it was on the array.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:10:59 PM by slimsalmon »

PaulJ

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 06:56:03 AM »
   I have a badly cracked Sharp panel mounted under a slightly larger sheet of tempered glass scavenged from a broken solar hot water panel. Keeps the worst of the weather off, and has lasted 4 years so far.

There's no way you could remove the broken glass from the Sharp panel without destroying it, I'm not familiar with the Kyocera panels but I don't like your chances.

Paul.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:56:03 AM by PaulJ »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
Maybe you could just silicone glue a piece of window glass over the frame, leaving the cracked glass under it. Leave some of the bottom unsealed to limit condensation. The silicone used to make aquariums is strong and waterproof.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 09:04:57 AM by dnix71 »